Rancho Cucamonga WGI Power Regional

Conversations about the fabulous art of color guard, both field and court

Moderators: laurab, Gallagher, guardthepiccolo

HTD
New Recruit
New Recruit

Rancho Cucamonga WGI Power Regional

Post by HTD » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:44 am

Have anyone watching the whole event (prelim and final)? Any reviews? any thoughts?
Thanks

SMbooster07
New Recruit
New Recruit

Re: Rancho Cucamonga WGI Power Regional

Post by SMbooster07 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:09 pm

A quick run down of thoughts that first pop to mind:

James Logan World. Amazing. Brilliance. Everything from the set design to the execution. They have such a contemporary, unique production this year. One of my favorite guard shows to date. That surprise flag feature is just...whew.

Ayala has improved tremendously over the past few years. Give them a few more years and I guarantee you they just might be the Logan of Southern California.

Santa Clara Vanguard was flawless. Amazing technique. Execution that can't be matched. Unique show design wifh the "drifting" concept. Gold medal quality.

Fantasia. Unique movement book. Interesting theme. "Twilight in the Garden of the Blue Muse". Weapon book is of open class quality minus a few fun tricks. Really gorgeous flags. I love this show. I do. But in all honesty, unless they make significant changes, I see this show as low as 11th at WGI. And I mean significant changes. Poor Fantasia...I hope they'll rebound next year!

Arcadia. Beijing Olympics opening ceremony. So awesome. Creative.

I'll elaborate more when I watch the FN videos!
Now THEY were LOUD.

TITANTRUMPET3
New Recruit
New Recruit

Re: Rancho Cucamonga WGI Power Regional

Post by TITANTRUMPET3 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:00 am

I was there for both Prelims and Finals. Here's a small review on shows that stood out to me:

Pacificaires (from British Columbia) took the floor with the famous song "Falling Slowly". Where do I start? These ladies moved so well together. Their catches on saber were solid, the climax flag feature had the audience watching in amazement. It was the perfect combination.

Ayala (Open) WOW! One of the highlights of final's day for sure! I'm sure their show is titled "Climb", but I'm sorry if it's not. The show concept is there. It shows and it's not overly expressed. They use ladders dressed as mountains to their full advantage. Weapons are solid and the flag feature during the Miley Cyrus song is such an energetic and heart capturing moment in the show! I can't wait to see how they turn out at the end of the season. I can also definitely see Ayala going towards the best direction.

Lealta has a new show concept- "To have another face" or something in the lines. The way the performers cover their faces, the expression. This is PERFORMANCE. What really stood out to be the best in this group is flag. Weapons seem to sneak in, but the group really gets to you with expressive flag work. I can see this group as a finalist at Dayton this year. Good luck Lealta.

Chino (World) I really like this show. It's a side that I have never seen from Chino Guard. They have really "upped" their level this year. There is allot more advanced movement, expression, and difficult weapon work this year. A great step towards becoming a more successful World group. The show theme "The Storm" is there at the beginning, but I don't see it unravel until the end. Sabers are solid from the start (when there are three groups of two tossing at different times.) They really do entertain the crowd! The flag feature at the fast tempo is CLEAN. I want to see this group PERFORM. They are so close!

James Logan (World) Has regained their ruling title. Once again delivering a different kind of show, a clean one at that. The detective theme is there throughout the WHOLE show. The first rifle toss "BAP!" and it goes on throughout the show. Logan combines great body work and equipment to make yet another great production. Can't wait to see how they do at Dayton.

Fantasia comes back from their one year hiatus. Let me say that it's not the same guard as it use to be, but it'll get there. I was quite disappointed in Fantasia though. At times I felt a higher toss on rifle coming but it turned out a quad. For being Fantasia, I believe the bar was set too low. CRANK IT UP! I love the show concept and the msuic. It's definitely a winner, just an Open guard quality winner though. BUMP IT!

Diamante is moving up there! The body work and stunts are what we like and the extra high tosses add to the liking. At finals, there were quite a few drops, but the intensity never dropped. The audience wanted Diamante, and Diamante gave the audience diamonds! The crowd loved it!

Santa Clara Vanguard perfection in mid-March. The floor design and show concept is GOLD! Such cleanliness and movement superiority. A clean cut show with top class work. I loved the strap-less rifles! Something about them made me like the show, maybe the fact that I like the sound of hands on wood better than leather on wood. The heart put into the show showed! Favorite of the day!