NCBA Judging

Conversations about the fabulous art of color guard, both field and court

Moderators: laurab, Gallagher, guardthepiccolo

gcarrasco
Rookie
Rookie

Re: NCBA Judging

Post by gcarrasco » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:11 pm

Great to hear! We all could use some growth. But from JoJo's posts I get the sense that enforcement was not as good as expected.

north state di
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by north state di » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:14 pm

gcarrasco wrote:Great to hear! We all could use some growth. But from JoJo's posts I get the sense that enforcement was not as good as expected.
Back in Alabama after a whirlwind trip...reading up on past posts missed. George, I was wondering if you could point me to the posts to which you are referring. I would find it disheartening....again....if enforcement is not consistent.
Diane Bledsoe

gcarrasco
Rookie
Rookie

Post by gcarrasco » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:59 pm

This is only one example from the percussion site of coarse talking about judging. There are many more on this thread and unfortunately on other threads not titled judging.

Location: Phx, AZ First to Vinnie --- thanks for the support dude. I knew you were one of the good guys

And you are absolutely right. The status quo is sacred and is THE most important concern of the current leadership.

While training would be wonderful, neither it or the judges are the crux of the problem.

I spent a couple of years on the winterguard committee and we were able to accomplish quite a lot but not nearly what we'd hoped we could. We did get new sheets, updated criteria, introductory judge's training (where none had existed previously) but making change from within was a lot like kicking a rock uphill everyday in bare feet. IMO, it will continue to be hard until some of the current leadership retires. Reason 1: They support allowing hosting band directors choosing their own judges. Reason 2: There is no teeth to the "mandatory" in "mandatory training". People who don't participate are still on the active judge's list. Reason 3: There's no position to head up training. Two years in a row I proposed that an "Education Coordinator" be added under the umbrella of the "Judge's Coordinator". I did everthing I was asked to do (more than once) wrote up a proposal and outlined the position. The idea had a lot of support from the membership. Even so, I have yet to see it even make it onto an agenda much less make it to a vote. IMO, an Education Coordinator is uber important to an overall training program. I even ran for VP of winter activities but lost to a band director. The message finally sank in for me. The leadership was not ready for the changes "we" were ready for ... and I stopped pushing. The effort is ongoing on the colorguard side and a new judge's training packet was introduced this season by the current winterguard committee.

I'm glad to see so much renewed interest and fresh troops.

Jojo Dangerfield
aka "danceswithwood"

danceswithwood
Rookie
Rookie

Post by danceswithwood » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:37 am

Just to clarify ... I know judges who are working who've yet to submit a packet.

Not trying to cause a ruckus here. Seriously. I'm simply saying that we are still in need of enforcement when it comes to the "mandatory" portion of judge's training.

It's just one of the things that in my opinion, if changed, would have a major and immediate impact on the credibility of the judges, their numbers and their observations.

gcarrasco
Rookie
Rookie

Post by gcarrasco » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:16 am

Sorry DWW if I have kinda put you on the spot. Your information is vital if there is going to be positive change.

danceswithwood
Rookie
Rookie

Post by danceswithwood » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:29 am

gcarrasco wrote:Sorry DWW if I have kinda put you on the spot.

Gosh, no worries here or I wouldn't have put up the original post. I just wanted it to be clear that it was based on personal experience/knowledge.

We're all passionate about positive change 8-)

gcarrasco
Rookie
Rookie

Post by gcarrasco » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:51 am

"I see..." said the blind man who picked up a hammer and saw...

Weezie Jay
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Weezie Jay » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:47 am

Please come to the JUNE MEETING!!!!! The only way to make a difference is to be present and voice your opinions. Stop handing over proxy votes and physically be there. In my opinion if you have a problem with NCBA come to the meetings with three proposals to fix the problem.

I always fight for you and labeld the trouble maker. I don't mind, but seriously, you need to be there to back me up. I voice my concerns, so get out of bed and be there.

NCBA like everyone else has their issues. We need to remember what is best for our students, organizations, and NCBA as a whole. Talking about problems on public forums alone doesn't solve them. You must be active in order to fix them.

What do I need to do to get you to come to the meetings, bring pizza?????? I'll bring some if it will get you to be there.

gcarrasco
Rookie
Rookie

Post by gcarrasco » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:58 am

Everyone has their price...Understand I have done my bit and will continue to push for positive change in an orginization that deals with children at such a personal level. We have been given an enormous responcibility and should always want the best oppurtunities for everyone. Please continue the fight for the cause, I enjoy the trust of friends and experience has taught me you can't change peoples opinions if they think they are right.

north state di
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by north state di » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:37 pm

I posted a question as to where the discussion was happening that related to mandatory material not being completed yet assignments given because it is a concern to me. I surely meant no ill toward DWW or anyone - just trying to sit in on the conversation as I see this is a huge gaping issue that impacts all that are involved in this activity. Materials are complied with blood, sweat and I would guess more than a few tears. It was to benefit all of us and to not take the time to complete the materials and submit everything for evaluation...we all need to be willing to be professional and under accountability. Not always comfy to be accountable to another but it happens on a regular basis in other areas of life...all participants in this wonderful, passion-filled activity need to live under the light of accountability. It applies to how each handle their responsibilities.

Thanks to the ed committee for their efforts.
Diane Bledsoe

gcarrasco
Rookie
Rookie

Post by gcarrasco » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:03 pm

Trust your call to arms has been heard. This is where the light of responcibility shines brightly, out in the open, straight forward with no prejudice.

Psalm 56
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Psalm 56 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:44 pm

Weezie Jay wrote:Please come to the JUNE MEETING!!!!! The only way to make a difference is to be present and voice your opinions. Stop handing over proxy votes and physically be there. In my opinion if you have a problem with NCBA come to the meetings with three proposals to fix the problem.

I always fight for you and labeld the trouble maker. I don't mind, but seriously, you need to be there to back me up. I voice my concerns, so get out of bed and be there.

NCBA like everyone else has their issues. We need to remember what is best for our students, organizations, and NCBA as a whole. Talking about problems on public forums alone doesn't solve them. You must be active in order to fix them.

What do I need to do to get you to come to the meetings, bring pizza?????? I'll bring some if it will get you to be there.
If the pizza is made by the wonderful LOUISE JACOBS, I guess I can see me at the next meeting!! :yeah:

GOOD THOUGHTS WEEZIE. Way to go. If anything, maybe I can compile all the postings on this site and just read them at the - GET READY FOR THIS FOLKS - June 5, 2010 meeting at Foothill High School. :)

To vote...attend the NCBA meeting....say "No, to proxy voting." It's your responsibility to be active - not send someone to be active in your place. In any election, it's our civic duty vote...not send a friend in our place to vote. Thank goodness elections in our country aren't done by proxy voting. Hold on...wait a minute....that last thought might need some adjusting. :rotf:

gcarrasco
Rookie
Rookie

Post by gcarrasco » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:00 pm

I think everyone has seen these posts-by the L.J. can I get the application for your spring event,please?!

danceswithwood
Rookie
Rookie

Post by danceswithwood » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:18 pm

This thread reminds me of the Emperor and His New Clothes.

"Come to the June meeting" is an empty call to arms until there is a change that brings us leaders who are receptive to progress, willing to listen to the membership's call for change and do more than placate the membership with changes that look like progress and aren't.

Til then the Emperor is still naked :king:

Psalm 56
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Psalm 56 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:13 am

danceswithwood wrote:This thread reminds me of the Emperor and His New Clothes.

"Come to the June meeting" is an empty call to arms until there is a change that brings us leaders who are receptive to progress, willing to listen to the membership's call for change and do more than placate the membership with changes that look like progress and aren't.

Til then the Emperor is still naked :king:

So much to write to be so misinterpreted. I will simply write, "WE NEED TO FOCUS ON THE WELFARE OF OUR STUDENTS." I do appreciate the candor of the message. I do hope that the cynicism (UNDERSTOOD) in the above message can be turned into a focused effort to change that brings us leaders who are receptive to progress, willing to listen to the membership's call for change and do more than placate the membership with changes that look like progress and aren't.

To vote ... attend the NCBA meetings ... say "no to proxy voting." Just a thought...