NCBA Champs?

Conversations about the fabulous art of color guard, both field and court

Moderators: laurab, Gallagher, guardthepiccolo

oreocookis
Veteran
Veteran

Re: NCBA Champs?

Post by oreocookis » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:06 am

malletphreak wrote:...heh instant fundraiser (charging for parking that is...)

good luck at champs guys

Not to mention truck/bus fee. Luckily American only has about 28 kids so we are able to carpool to each event.
Jennie M
American Eagles Marching Band Woodwind, Colorguard and Winter Guard Instructor
Fremont Unified After- school Elementary Band Teacher

tao707
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tao707 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:35 pm

congrats to bethel for winning champs for the second straight year

gcarrasco
Rookie
Rookie

Post by gcarrasco » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:27 pm

Two school sites dran'ner kil'ed us...can we get this to be closer at least.

Psalm 56
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Psalm 56 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:31 pm

gcarrasco wrote:Two school sites dran'ner kil'ed us...can we get this to be closer at least.

Dublin High School has two FULL SIZE gyms that each holdclose to 1,500 spectators. Apparently ther is a "new rule" that a school can only host CHAMPIONSHIPS if that school currently hosts an NCBA show. Dublin High School would be as good s a loacation as Foothill or AVHS and even better TWO FULL SIZED GYMS!!

Oh, well...I will see what we can do to reconsider that "new rule."

gcarrasco
Rookie
Rookie

Post by gcarrasco » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:46 pm

O.K. where are these rules? Are they written somewhere on the web site?Were they handed out during a regular meeting? Many of these unknown rules seem to exist in an unreachable space. Why don't all the members of NCBA have access to All of the rules and guidelines. And why can't any teacher-member who has access to two full sized gyms on the same campus hold Champs? If I am wrong some where here-Please enlighten me.

peaches
Rookie
Rookie

Post by peaches » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:10 pm

gcarrasco wrote:O.K. where are these rules? Are they written somewhere on the web site?Were they handed out during a regular meeting? Many of these unknown rules seem to exist in an unreachable space. Why don't all the members of NCBA have access to All of the rules and guidelines. And why can't any teacher-member who has access to two full sized gyms on the same campus hold Champs? If I am wrong some where here-Please enlighten me.
Its actually on the FAQ section of the website:

5. Winter Guard/Percussion Championships: Winter Championships are sponsored by the NCBA, and performed at volunteer venues. The organization and the NCBA share costs and profits. The NCBA is looking primarily for so more or all of these factors when choosing a host of this large and prestigious event:
- Director/Boosters who have hosted other NCBR events and have a proven track record of success doing so.
- Has hosted a regular season Winter Show before.
- Has a winter guard and/or winter percussion unit on the NCBA circuit.
- Has two full size gymnasiums and appropriate warm up areas for the shows (1st choice), OR has two full size gymnasiums on two separate but closely related sites (2nd choice). NCBA must also take into consideration the location of the school, parking facilities, etc. An on-site inspection of the school is usually required by the board.

Having hosted champs...its ALOT of work! Maybe the schools with 2 full-size gyms feel they don't have enough booster support to host such a large event? I don't see why the board would turn down any school who wishes to host that meets all the criteria's above. In terms of having to host a regular event before...I don't see that as an absolute requirement since schools like San Benito, LP/O, and most recently Lincoln have hosted champs and they don't have a regular winter show...unless I'm not remembering correctly.

gcarrasco
Rookie
Rookie

Post by gcarrasco » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:27 pm

Thank you so much for the update. Now since NCBA Board is the final say on the site isn't NCBA Board the ones responcible for overseeing the proper organization of the event. These guidelines would and have serverely limited the number of NCBA members ,in good standing, from hosting the event.And if NCBA shares the income Why do they not share the responcibility. I know NCBA does the scheduling and the judge assigning, I do they same for a three day Softball Tournament every Father's Day. Dee does the same every year for the CCGC Champs and WGI Winterguard and Percussion Regionals. There must be written guidelines somewhere, if not why not?

twinmomma
Rookie
Rookie

Post by twinmomma » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:53 am

My guess is that everyone who could help in the organization is in the judge's box. It's not like NCBA has unfettered access to whole throngs of volunteers like the schools do with their boosters.

Just like with the judging improvements, if you think you can help improve the organization of championships, I'm sure NCBA would gladly accept the help.
~twinmomma

gcarrasco
Rookie
Rookie

Post by gcarrasco » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:12 am

Your point is well taken, NCBA does not have lots of parents to run a show, NCBA responcibility is to provide the structures and guidelines for running the championship since that is the one show that's sponcered by NCBA. There needs to be a board appointed show coordinator who may or may not be the site director.I looked at the list of board members and noticed that sometimes the list of responcibilities seem to overlap and there is no judge coordinator or caption head designations. Or better, it was unclear to me who is doing what and there seems to be some holes.

JenKozy
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by JenKozy » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:32 am

They broke the show site rule, though. Two years ago, when the put on Fall Champs. Field was held at Cal High. And as far as I am aware, Cal High does not host a show. Nor does Cal compete in NCBA.

Paul, two FULL size gyms would be FANTASTIC compared to the hot, muggy and VERY undersized gym we found ourselves in on Saturday. I have to say, though, that I liked the format of Percussion awards and guard awards being at different times.
I am NOT too old for this!

I'd rather be Dreaming... in a tree.

gcarrasco
Rookie
Rookie

Post by gcarrasco » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:48 am

OOPS, I hate it when that happens...If this is true...Lucy, yu got sum splain'n to do...

oldsole84
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by oldsole84 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:33 pm

JenKozy wrote:They broke the show site rule, though. Two years ago, when the put on Fall Champs. Field was held at Cal High. And as far as I am aware, Cal High does not host a show. Nor does Cal compete in NCBA.
Actually that year Cal high applied to NCBA to host fall championships and was approved by the board. That same season Cal only did NCBA shows during the fall. It is true that they did not host a competition prior to champs, but again they applied and were approved by the NCBA board to host Fall Champs.

Psalm 56
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Psalm 56 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:56 pm

gcarrasco wrote:O.K. where are these rules? Are they written somewhere on the web site?Were they handed out during a regular meeting? Many of these unknown rules seem to exist in an unreachable space. Why don't all the members of NCBA have access to All of the rules and guidelines. And why can't any teacher-member who has access to two full sized gyms on the same campus hold Champs? If I am wrong some where here-Please enlighten me.
Without throwing any one or two board members under the bus, I was told that to host perc./guard champs, we will need to host an NCBA competition. Because we AND OTHERS will "never" (AGAIN, "never" IS IN QUOTES) have a chance to host championships, I am disappointed. Even though we are centrally located and have two FULL SIZED GYMS!! The old gym has hosted several WGI shows!! The new gym is going to be beautiful!

So, to answer your questions about when, where, what, how....don't have those answers. I do not see the by-laws including such rule (to host championships, must host show). We have also attempted to get our foot in the door to host field show/parade. "You need to fill out a form and submit it." I have a hard time finding that form on the NCBA site. Again, with Dublin being centrally located and a stadium - THAT YOU KNOW - hosts the North Coast Section Football Championships and other NCS Championships, why couldn't we host a show?

gcarrasco
Rookie
Rookie

Post by gcarrasco » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:09 pm

I feel your pain and yes Dublin HS would be a perfect place to have Champs. I'm beginning to see a pattern here- mysterious forms avoid us. Time for alittle "Transparency"? maybe?

bigmikedrivesbmw
Veteran
Veteran

Post by bigmikedrivesbmw » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:03 pm