Sew EZ Kits

Conversations about the fabulous art of color guard, both field and court

Moderators: laurab, Gallagher, guardthepiccolo

Suhibandman
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Sew EZ Kits

Post by Suhibandman » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:34 am

fieldshowqueen wrote:The kits ARE good if you don't have someone who can figure out patterns vs. seams plus transfer to pattern board and cut. Sewing takes 5 minutes per seam. A 7 piece flag is 35 minutes to piece plus an additional 25 minutes to sew the hem and pole pocket. Call it about 1 1/4 hours per flag just to sew. Figuring out the computer graphics and pattern and cutting is double that time, so if you are short on time and can afford the extra $15 per flag then I say go for it.

BTW ... a typical flag 36x52" takes 2 yards of fabric. At $2.50 average per yard, it only costs $5 plus the thread so about $7.00 per flag, if you design and cut and sew them yourself, plus 30 man hours minimum for a set.
Wow, Talk about getting this down to a science!

The probelm we're facing now is that we don't have any sewing parents in the guard after losing a couple the other day. My mom sews, and I asked her to sew one as a sample and try it out. She saw all the curves in the design and nearly freaked out (since that's no what she usually sews). Not that they aren't a bad idea, and if you have the parent/sewing resources, it works great, plus gets the parents involved.