Moderators: laurab, Gallagher, guardthepiccolo

JenKozy
Section Leader
Section Leader

If You Have A Middle School Feeder

Post by JenKozy » Wed May 13, 2009 10:58 am

You are a lucky bum! :lol:

No really.

We are working on setting up a feeder for the up coming year. What I am wondering is, as the caption head of your high school program, how much contact do you have with the feeder program? Are you a face that the young ones recognize? What do you do at the end of the year to make sure you retain those incoming freshmen?

Does your high school program support the middle school program? How much or how little? Does the middle school program compete in Fall or Winter?

With school and work and running the high school guard basically full time, I don't have the time to run the program myself at our closest feeder. (The school is in our backyard) I am working with our section leaders to get a program started "next door". They are going to be using it for their senior project.

Any help or advice would be great! (I have taught the middle school level before.)

Thanks!
I am NOT too old for this!

I'd rather be Dreaming... in a tree.

tooweird
Veteran
Veteran

Re: If You Have A Middle School Feeder

Post by tooweird » Wed May 13, 2009 11:08 pm

If I may suggest someone, hope im not out of line, but Erin from Vanden might have some good knowledge that might answer your question. She works with both Vanden and Golden West MS which i'm guessing might be their feeder.
Mark L.
Archbishop Riordan Crusader Marching Band (04-07)
Colorguard Instructor

ErinF
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ErinF » Sat May 16, 2009 1:33 pm

I dont actually work for golden west but we keep involved with them as much as we can. My current guard captain, is one of their instructors and one of my graduated girls from last year is also a teacher so i stay up to date. I dont do much other than give advice and observe. My girls practice at the jr high school so we're able to watch the younger girls during spring season. They're familiar with us and we try to keep tabs on them so we can watch their progress and see how they do as performers.
In general the high school and jr high programs are very close. We only have the one feeder school so the families usually participate in both because they have a child in both schools. However, its REALLY hard because the jr high only does spring season marching, no winterguard, and they only practice 2 hrs a week TOTAL. Often times the new girls we get are still very inexperienced and their freshman year with us is spent learning the basics and establishing a foundation. Its hard every year. Personally i think jr high teams should really be focusing on establishing a strong foundation of basics. Once you have that you can always build on it. If the girls never learn proper technnique you'll spend years undoing the bad spinning habits they started in jr. high.

tooweird
Veteran
Veteran

Post by tooweird » Sat May 16, 2009 5:57 pm

o sorry about that erin. my bad for assuming things. Golden West and Vanden both did great today at Encinal! it was a lot of fun to watch! Encinal was my first comp that i actually didn't have to run around and get ready for...i just got to watch. loved it :yeah:
Mark L.
Archbishop Riordan Crusader Marching Band (04-07)
Colorguard Instructor

ErinF
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ErinF » Sat May 16, 2009 7:09 pm

no problem :)

Today was a good day at encinal. You got to watch? I wish i would have seen Benicia. I didnt watch golden west because they went before us but i spent time watching them warm up.

My girls did good :) It was a great day to end the year. Im going to miss my seniors...

mariahorn
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mariahorn » Mon May 25, 2009 6:49 pm

I am the band director for a school/program that feeds primarily into two high schools. Here is what I've noticed:

1) Do not have high school kids be middle school coaches UNLESS their teacher/coach recommends them, they have reliable transportation, and they are mature. We have had freshman students as coaches before with little success. We have had senior students as coaches with high success. We have had a coach start in high school, continue coaching while going through college, while at the same time bringing in additional high school students to help with varying degree off success.

2) The students respond best to the coaches that are very experienced in guard (no less than 3-4 years) AND who appear to be interested in their (middle school) guard. My students love watching their coaches at competitions, and I think seeing the coaches doing what they are telling the students to do (such as facial expressions, good technique, etc.) help inspire the students.

3) If possible, if the middle school feeds into more than one high school, involve coaches or helpers from each. If the students have interaction with and friendship with their coaches (or helpers) that are active in the guard they will soon attend, the chance of those students joining guard in high school is much higher. The "unknowns" as far as fellow members, teachers, expectations, etc in high school decrease when those high school students are interacting with the ms feeders.

There needs to be a clear separation of coach vs. student vs. peer. If you have, for example, a sophomore coach who tries to be buddies with the guard, it may be hard for the students to take that person seriously when it's time too. If you have that same person be too "bossy" and not build that friendship with the students, they may be scared off and choose to not continue in high school. This is a hard balance, but I've seen it go both ways and the result could be great or could be a disaster.

When it comes down to it, I think the most important thing to get ms students to continue in high school is to support them when they're still in middle schools. If your high school is at the same competition your ms feeder is, have your guard go watch them and cheer them on. Vice versa, ms students need to cheer on high school students. The students on both sides feel that energy and they get more excited about what their next venture will be, whether it's another year in the ms or their first year in hs.

JenKozy
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by JenKozy » Tue May 26, 2009 5:08 pm

Thanks Maria. That is great advice! You stated a couple things that I have not thought of.
I am NOT too old for this!

I'd rather be Dreaming... in a tree.

ErinF
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ErinF » Tue May 26, 2009 9:04 pm

Maria- I totally agree with the problems of younger HS students teaching. There have been younger teachers at our jr high feeder in the past and not only did it not work for those younger kids, but it was causing problems at our practices because the drama was being brought over to our hs girls. Having my guard captain (who's a senior) and the one graduated girl has worked well. This was the first year the 2 of them taught together and the students responded well to both of them. They both have 7+ years of experience and the girls LOVED watching our guard captain perform throughout the year. I think it inspired them.