question about awards

Conversations about the fabulous art of color guard, both field and court

Moderators: laurab, Gallagher, guardthepiccolo

dancecutie808

question about awards

Post by dancecutie808 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:46 pm

Hi everyone! I have been around colorguard my whole life (my mom teaches), but I have a question I can't get a good answer to. Can someone explain to me why colorguards nod their heads during award ceremonies instead of saluting? Or why they even salute at all?

Let me explain....I have performed with my mom's groups on and off over the last couple of years, but this is the first year I was really a "full-time" member of an independent guard. As I cheer from the stands, I am fascinated by the different approaches teams take to accept their awards. It seems to me there really is no standard, but rather just a schools preference? There are some long combinations, silly types, military style salutes, and even the "head nod".

I have danced practically my whole life, and competed studio dance since I was 6. I understand the dance world is different, but I would assume the "respect" factor of saluting/acknowledging/head nodding would be be somewhat universal. When accepting a dance award, one shakes the hand of the person presenting and says "thank you". The acknowledgement or salute is instead given at the end of the performance, before you exit the stage. As a dancer, whether it be a soloist or a team, a head nod is expected at the conclusion of the performance. The "nod" is to tell the judges "thank you". The thank you is for their time as judges, the comments they have given and the respect they have earned as professionals in their field. I have seen salutes during parades and on the field. I assume these are directed to the judges? But I don't undestand why guards salute when the judges aren't present? It seems weird to me to salute different schools captains week after week because they are merely handing you a trophy. I intend no disrespect to any schools leadership. I am just trying to understand the process.

I have written several papers for school this year about my dance experiences, and I would like to write a compare/contrast essay about award ceremonies. My mom gave me a satisfactory answer, but I could really use more input if I am to write a solid paper. My mom suggested I post my questions here.

I am really looking foward to hear what the "colorguard community" has to say about this topic. Please don't be shy!

Thanks in advance!

Tara
Dancers are the messengers of the gods. ~Martha Graham

I don't want people who want to dance, I want people who have to dance. ~George Balanchine

twinmomma
Rookie
Rookie

Re: question about awards

Post by twinmomma » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:50 pm

I've grown up in this activity too, and saluting has always been a matter of respect, not for the judges necessarily, but for the hard work and achievements of the other groups.
~twinmomma

danceswithwood
Rookie
Rookie

Post by danceswithwood » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:03 pm

Back in the day trophies were handed out by war veterans (VFW and American Legion posts) and the salute was for the veteran handing you the trophy. I think what we do now is a hold over from our military roots.

Having said that .... I think it's fun (especially at field shows) to watch the representative of each group "salute" the host drum major and vice versa ... it's like watching aliens greet ... lol

guardthepiccolo
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by guardthepiccolo » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:12 pm

danceswithwood wrote: ... it's like watching aliens greet ... lol
LOL! quote of the day!
Benicia High School C/O '05
Colorguard Instructor

bigmikedrivesbmw
Veteran
Veteran

Post by bigmikedrivesbmw » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:53 pm

that was great! :rotf:

twinmomma
Rookie
Rookie

Post by twinmomma » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:39 am

It's not just at awards. Where I'm from, it is standard practice at football games for the home school's band leadership to make their way (usually marching) to the away side (assuming the away team has enough of a budget to send their band) and salute the leadership of the opposing team's band. Generally followed by a small amount of socializing, i.e. talking about the season, what comps each will be at, etc...

Aliens greeting? TOTALLY. BUT I will say, it's a courtesy that is so often neglected in other arenas. I was always proud of my kids as they marched over to say hi to the other band. I truly believed the lessons learned (opponents deserve respect, even while being competitive against them) will serve them well through life.
~twinmomma

danceswithwood
Rookie
Rookie

Post by danceswithwood » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:45 pm

twinmomma wrote:It's not just at awards. Where I'm from, it is standard practice at football games for the home school's band leadership to make their way (usually marching) to the away side (assuming the away team has enough of a budget to send their band) and salute the leadership of the opposing team's band. Generally followed by a small amount of socializing, i.e. talking about the season, what comps each will be at, etc...

Aliens greeting? TOTALLY. BUT I will say, it's a courtesy that is so often neglected in other arenas. I was always proud of my kids as they marched over to say hi to the other band. I truly believed the lessons learned (opponents deserve respect, even while being competitive against them) will serve them well through life.
When my boys were growing up we did that sort of thing with them in soccer, tennis, etc to teach them good sportsmanship. When I teach guard now I encourage my guardies to make friends and be social and to be supportive of other units ... but that's the new school :hug:

The old school was different :box: