Colorguard and PE Credit

Conversations about the fabulous art of color guard, both field and court

Moderators: laurab, Gallagher, guardthepiccolo

alto92
Rookie
Rookie

Colorguard and PE Credit

Post by alto92 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:44 am

This has been rehashed ad-nauseam in other forums, but I'm wondering if the WGASC or NCBA circuits are organizing at all to promote the passage of AB351, reinstating JROTC, Marching Band, Drill Team, and Colorguard classes to receive PE credit.

Anyone hear anything from their circuits?

http://www.ab351.org
Kurt Gray
Mesa Verde MS
Moorpark, CA

Raiderette Cheyenne
New Recruit
New Recruit

Re: Colorguard and PE Credit

Post by Raiderette Cheyenne » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:32 pm

I know in my school, you do get .25 credits for marching band (You get full for pep band and jazz band), rotc is a pe credit...but as for winterguard, not a single credit.
Choir Nerd+Guard Girl= Three families, three homes.

tara8301
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tara8301 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:51 pm

at the school i used to instruct at the students got full pe credits as long as they took a band pe class where one of the pe teachers would teach them at 7 in place of band in the off season....

to me i totally think that marching bands that compete at an intense training level should receive credit...
"This is LIFE, this is not a dress rehearsal"

oreocookis
Veteran
Veteran

Post by oreocookis » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:59 pm

At American, or Fremont in general if the guard members sign up for the marching band class for 4 yrs it takes care of their P.E credit.
Jennie M
American Eagles Marching Band Woodwind, Colorguard and Winter Guard Instructor
Fremont Unified After- school Elementary Band Teacher

ErinF
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ErinF » Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:19 am

When i was in HS, colorguard was a class (5th period) and it was actually one of our electives instead of p.e. It was just considered a performing art. I dont know why more school dont at least offer it as a class that way.

alto92
Rookie
Rookie

Post by alto92 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:23 pm

Any PE credit that you may have received for Marching Band/Colorguard (if you're in California, anyway) would be discontinued unless the bill passes (or unless your guard/band teacher has a PE credential). It's super important that the powers that be hear our voices.

Seriously, check out the website!
Kurt Gray
Mesa Verde MS
Moorpark, CA

helloimRonnie

Post by helloimRonnie » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:24 am

alto92 wrote:Any PE credit that you may have received for Marching Band/Colorguard (if you're in California, anyway) would be discontinued unless the bill passes (or unless your guard/band teacher has a PE credential). It's super important that the powers that be hear our voices.

Seriously, check out the website!
We're having the same problem down in the SUHSDistrict. Eastlake wants to have colorguard SHINE!
Eastlake CG '06 to now.

rhinestonekitty
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by rhinestonekitty » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:37 pm

tara8301 wrote:at the school i used to instruct at the students got full pe credits as long as they took a band pe class where one of the pe teachers would teach them at 7 in place of band in the off season....

to me i totally think that marching bands that compete at an intense training level should receive credit...

I went to Golden Valley & that's what we did. We had Band/PE 1A (7:00) and guard 6th period. For about 2 weeks or so (don't remember exactly), we would meet with a PE teacher during 1A. I have not taken an actual PE class since I was in 6th grade. I went to Weaver back then and guard also counted as PE there.

At the middle school I instruct at, the guard students comment all the time that they get more of a work out in guard than in their actual PE class...

misscolorguard7889

Post by misscolorguard7889 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:23 pm

i went to buhach colony and band/guard was only an elective... i remember doing hard core marching, then having to go run the mile... sucked..

Rivera ms doesn't get credit either :( ... guard isn't even a class. we do all practices after school and on saturdays (that is, when we don't get kicked out by "real" sports... i'd like to see a cheerleader toss a rifle :td: )

Indy

Post by Indy » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:05 pm

I am a band director, and they threatened to take away my kids PE credit. They said the kids could only continue getting PE credit if I got a PE credential... so I did!

Band directors are going to have to get with the program if they don't want to start losing students to PE classes. It is a lot easier to pass the PE CSET test than it is to fight the state government.

alto92
Rookie
Rookie

Post by alto92 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:37 pm

While Indy's solution works for individuals, I think it's worth it to at least go down swinging trying to get the state to recognize that MB, CG, drill team, JROTC, etc. all provide students with equal if not more physical activity than regular PE classes.

All pessimism aside, the bill actually passed a 2/3 vote in the Assembly Committee on Education due to many letters, phone calls, and direct representation in Sacramento spearheaded by teachers, admin, and students in the San Diego Unified School District. It proceeds to the full state assembly in a few weeks.

http://www.ab351.org
Kurt Gray
Mesa Verde MS
Moorpark, CA

Indy

Post by Indy » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:59 pm

I totally agree with you... But my school administration decided to be on the front edge of enforcing the need for a PE credential. Ultimately, I decided that rather than endanger the program, I would rather go pass the PE CSET (which was super easy). Anyone with a basic concept of physics, common sense, and a little writing ability can pass it. Now I don't have to worry about the whims of the politicians anymore.

fieldshowqueen
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by fieldshowqueen » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:43 am

Indy wrote:I totally agree with you... But my school administration decided to be on the front edge of enforcing the need for a PE credential. Ultimately, I decided that rather than endanger the program, I would rather go pass the PE CSET (which was super easy). Anyone with a basic concept of physics, common sense, and a little writing ability can pass it. Now I don't have to worry about the whims of the politicians anymore.
... AND you now have credentials in more than one subject thus ensuring you more opportunities.

Indy

Post by Indy » Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:22 pm

That's true, although I hope it doesn't come down to actually having to teach PE or sports to maintain a full schedule. I'd rather add a guitar class or something like that if I was forced to reduce my band classes. Music is the degree I really decided I loved in college, and I don't want to do anything else.

At the last school I was at they made me teach world history part time because I have a history minor and a political science degree... and that was a major pain in the neck. I spent as much time grading homework and scrambling to assemble world history lessons as I did focusing on my band.