We lost a student

Conversations about the fabulous art of color guard, both field and court

Moderators: laurab, Gallagher, guardthepiccolo

mariahorn
Rookie
Rookie

We lost a student

Post by mariahorn » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:24 pm

I have sad news that one of my former students died. She graduated from 8th grade two years ago. If you remember the Rivera Middle School show from that year (based on music from Disney's "Fantasmic"), she was one of two little tiny girls we had. They were both sisters, both the size of 1st graders, who have a genetic blood disease that greatly decreases their life expectancy. Shoua (the one who died) was the "princess" in our show, and Song (her sister one year younger than her) was Minnie Mouse. Shoua was only able to perform a couple of times because she was in the hospital a lot that year.

At one of our first shows, Roland told me after the show that we could be disqualified for using students that are not in middle school in our show. He was shocked when I told them they were 7th and 8th graders!

We loved these two girls to death and will miss Shoua immensely. Her younger sister someday will also succumb to the disease. Our principal even cut a few of our flag poles to make them only 4' long because of how tiny these girls were.

I feel blessed that, for one year at least, they got to be a part of something that let them feel normal (they aren't allowed to do PE or any type of activity that could increase their heart rate too much, so we had to write their part carefully).

Please give all your students/classmates hugs or extra high fives, especially when they are leaving your school off to another one. You never know how suddenly tragedy will strike, and I wish I could have had just one more conversation with her.

Thank you for allowing me a place to grieve. Because she stood out so much in our show, I know that a lot of you may remember, at least vaguely, who she was and thought her story could encourage you to spend at least one more quality moment with each of your students/friends/colleagues.

Between losing our color guard coach three years ago, losing our principal last year, losing Shoua now, and the district taking away all our grant money, we are at the bottom of an emotional roller coaster, and I can't wait until we can make it to the top again.

helloimRonnie

Re: We lost a student

Post by helloimRonnie » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:40 pm

My blessings to you.
Eastlake CG '06 to now.

twinmomma
Rookie
Rookie

Post by twinmomma » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:01 pm

Oh how horrible. I'm so sorry.
~twinmomma

rhinestonekitty
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by rhinestonekitty » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:52 pm

Shoua is the cousin of one of my guard students, Megan...I believe Megan also did guard at Rivera last year?? Anyway, Megan received a phone call from her dad on the way home from Livermore to tell her the extremely sad news. Everyone on the bus was in tears. I remember her from pictures Megan has...this past year has just been really rough on everyone involved with CMS Band & Guard. Our Band Booster President, Anita, passed away...Mr. Lewis' sister passed away...one of my student's brothers is in a coma...

I am sorry for your loss as she was one of your students...I don't even want to imagine that.

Also, I didn't know Rivera lost their coach a few years ago...?

--Stephanie

mariahorn
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mariahorn » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:20 pm

rhinestonekitty wrote:Shoua is the cousin of one of my guard students, Megan...I believe Megan also did guard at Rivera last year?? Anyway, Megan received a phone call from her dad on the way home from Livermore to tell her the extremely sad news. Everyone on the bus was in tears. I remember her from pictures Megan has...this past year has just been really rough on everyone involved with CMS Band & Guard. Our Band Booster President, Anita, passed away...Mr. Lewis' sister passed away...one of my student's brothers is in a coma...

Also, I didn't know Rivera lost their coach a few years ago...?

--Stephanie
Yes, Megan was in guard last year. I didn't realize she was at Cruickshank now! I didn't pay attention at locals only or our other shows. Make sure you tell her to come say hi to us next time!

The guard coach we had when I first moved here (05-06 school year) was either a freshman or sophomore at Buhach and did both band and color guard. (Juan) died of pnemonia, and I had to deliver the news to the students just a couple hours before we marched in the Atwater Christmas parade. It was so sad for us and Buhach, but so touching with what happened at the end of the parade. Usually that parade (because it's at night) is chaos when we're done, but that night we stood in the parking lot to support Buhach as they came through, then both schools joined in one mass huddle for some quiet time and prayers.

My kids had written messages for Juan on one of my whiteboards right underneath where he had written the rules for color guard. We didn't erase it until last year when a student tried to help just a little too much and erased it without my knowledge.

chickenlipz
Rookie
Rookie

Post by chickenlipz » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:31 pm

You have my sincere condolences.

Let's all treasure the time we have with our students, and each other.

tao707
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tao707 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:11 am

my condolences goes to the family. i remeber that routine. honestly, i also thought she looked a little too young to be in the routine also. i have a video of the performance from champs of that year somewhere. let look for it and and ill put it up on youtube

mariahorn
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mariahorn » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:40 pm

tao707 wrote:i have a video of the performance from champs of that year somewhere. let look for it and and ill put it up on youtube
Thank you, I would really appreciate that. I don't remember for sure if she did champs or not (her sister did and was the Minnie Mouse in all the shows). I know for sure she didn't do our first shows in Fairfield because she was sick. My memory sucks, but I think the shows we did that year were Fairfield, Armijo, Benecia, champs, and some other place I can't remember.