NCBA Championship show, 4/4/2009

Conversations about the fabulous art of color guard, both field and court

Moderators: laurab, Gallagher, guardthepiccolo

mariahorn
Rookie
Rookie

Re: NCBA Championship show, 4/4/2009

Post by mariahorn » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:57 am

rhinestonekitty wrote:(The reason I bought it was also because I was so stressed from the music mishap that I didn't do a good job recording it).
---
I had several issues with today which I won't get into...all I can say is that my girls did awesome, performance-wise, & I wish I could have seen more guards perform. Now, I just wait for hs results...
I glanced over at you one time while your group was going on and saw you with your camera but it wasn't aimed at the girls at all. I was half tempted to whip out my camera and start recording too, but I thought I would honor video rules (even though from the looks of it they weren't being enforced at all).

Your girls did great and I'm so glad they did well and gave you a great ending to a great "mini career." You don't REALLY need to go off to college and bigger and better things, do you? I mean, doesn't Merced have everything here you could ever need?

Dang, I almost chocked on my apple juice after typing that last sentence. Guess that's what I get when trying to be sarcastic about Merced.

Bummer about how the music and delay in awards happen. I was most upset the they started awards before the directors meeting was even over! I was shocked to walk back inside and find the ms novice guard awards half over. If we *HAD* placed, we wouldn't have even been in time to witness or tape it. Don't delay packets over 35 minutes but then jump start awards before directors can even look at the pakcets!

tao707
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tao707 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:10 pm

congrats to bethel on winning champs in open division

its__woodflavored
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by its__woodflavored » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:59 pm

I have noticed the occasional little bit of notice for who won the top spots in a division or two and i do appreciate it but has anyone else noticed the severe lack of the used to be full Recaps for scores this winter season?whats up with that? its become apparent we can't rely on ncbaonline.org for full recaps past the vallejo review

rhinestonekitty
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by rhinestonekitty » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:12 pm

mariahorn wrote:
rhinestonekitty wrote:(The reason I bought it was also because I was so stressed from the music mishap that I didn't do a good job recording it).
---
I had several issues with today which I won't get into...all I can say is that my girls did awesome, performance-wise, & I wish I could have seen more guards perform. Now, I just wait for hs results...
I glanced over at you one time while your group was going on and saw you with your camera but it wasn't aimed at the girls at all. I was half tempted to whip out my camera and start recording too, but I thought I would honor video rules (even though from the looks of it they weren't being enforced at all).

Your girls did great and I'm so glad they did well and gave you a great ending to a great "mini career." You don't REALLY need to go off to college and bigger and better things, do you? I mean, doesn't Merced have everything here you could ever need?

Dang, I almost chocked on my apple juice after typing that last sentence. Guess that's what I get when trying to be sarcastic about Merced.

Bummer about how the music and delay in awards happen. I was most upset the they started awards before the directors meeting was even over! I was shocked to walk back inside and find the ms novice guard awards half over. If we *HAD* placed, we wouldn't have even been in time to witness or tape it. Don't delay packets over 35 minutes but then jump start awards before directors can even look at the pakcets!
haha, yeah, I dropped my phone case at one point during my filming...I uploaded it to youtube but it is so shaky! They also didn't read our announcer's sheet until after my girls were almost out of the gym...there was a message for them on it & only a couple of them actually heard it!

lol at the Merced comment...so true! I am actually forced by the Army to move to Georgia...my husband is coming back from Iraq and that's where he's normally stationed (and why I wasn't at Cruickshank last year). I've looked into colorguards there but they do guard waaaay different than what I'm used to.

The awards was another thing I was frustrated with...for what you mentioned. I walked into the gym and was so confused that they were already announcing schools. I know that they needed to play catch up but they should have waited for directors/instructors. I also didn't utilize the warm-up gym because it was way too far away from the performance gym. Does anyone know if champs was held at Lincoln HS before? I remember having to run from a warm-up gym to the performance gym a time before because it was so far away.

phatbob2007
Rookie
Rookie

Post by phatbob2007 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:39 pm

this was the first time lincoln has hosted any kind of winter review
Benicia High Panther Band c/o 07 ToR Parade 2005
07-Current SJDC section leader / principal horn
07-08 Lincoln High (Stockton) Staff
08-Current Inderkum Music Staff
08-Current Tokay DL Co-Caption Head/ Marching Instructor

bigmikedrivesbmw
Veteran
Veteran

Post by bigmikedrivesbmw » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:41 pm

rhinestonekitty wrote:
The awards was another thing I was frustrated with...for what you mentioned. I walked into the gym and was so confused that they were already announcing schools. I know that they needed to play catch up but they should have waited for directors/instructors. I also didn't utilize the warm-up gym because it was way too far away from the performance gym. Does anyone know if champs was held at Lincoln HS before? I remember having to run from a warm-up gym to the performance gym a time before because it was so far away.
during the HS percussion awards they announced the wrong school as champs for a division.... :roll:

i think champs was there in 02, but i could be wrong

peaches
Rookie
Rookie

Post by peaches » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:56 pm

phatbob2007 wrote:this was the first time lincoln has hosted any kind of winter review
This is Lincoln's 2nd time hosting winter champs. First time was in 2002. We had a horrible experience in 2002 with the warm-up room being far away from the performance gym plus a few other reasons I'd rather not get into...so was prepared with that in mind for this time around.

rhinestonekitty
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by rhinestonekitty » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:55 pm

So...one of my students bought a DVD from Brahma...one of just Cruickshank. She said she tried to watch it but nothing was on the DVD...didn't play anything at all. Should I start the mass phone calls/e-mailing now?

I highly suggest using Playback Memories or another videographer next year...

pittech
Veteran
Veteran

Post by pittech » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:57 pm

rhinestonekitty wrote:So...one of my students bought a DVD from Brahma...one of just Cruickshank. She said she tried to watch it but nothing was on the DVD...didn't play anything at all. Should I start the mass phone calls/e-mailing now?

Ya know I bought 2 DVDs from them. Once I'm quite happy with (they missed one solo BUT it was alot better that what I expected)

The other they put on our guard show instead of our perc show. I may just keep the guard one and buy the perc.
Calvin D. Carr
Director of Music -Pixley Middle School & Pixley Elementary
http://www.pixley.k12.ca.us

pghs_instructor
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by pghs_instructor » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:10 pm

The DVD of my group was decent, they missed a few things, but for never seeing the show before, they did a decent job, although they were way under staffed. My biggest complaint was that the school name was not listed on the back of the case.
JT
Pleasant Grove H.S. 2007-2012 - Percussion Caption Head
Elk Grove High School 2004-2007 - Bass/Percussion Tech

mariahorn
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mariahorn » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:47 pm

rhinestonekitty wrote:So...one of my students bought a DVD from Brahma...one of just Cruickshank. She said she tried to watch it but nothing was on the DVD...didn't play anything at all. Should I start the mass phone calls/e-mailing now?

Try putting it in a computer and seeing if you can "explore" and find files on it.

If I remember right, one of the years I got the video all it would show when running from a dvd player was the Brahma splash/intro screen thing. I didn't find out until putting it in my computer that there is some invisible or hidden something you're suppose to select to get it to actually play on a tv. I think I remember even looking closely at it why I hit select or enter and it worked but it didn't show any brief glimpses (like highlighting or something) of what was selected. Trial and error. Unfortunately, I wouldn't be surprised if the dvd was completely blank. Too bad this company still works with NCBA despite their terrible history of zero quality or customer service.

rhinestonekitty
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by rhinestonekitty » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:21 pm

Wow...I am pleasantly surprised...I received the video I bought from Brahma today. Maybe after all the complaints, they decided to improve things a bit? Also, instead of just having the MS novice on the video, it also has the advanced and scholastic MS groups, with the exception of Rivera A guard, unfortunately (which is one of my favs). :/ Oh well, I guess I really can't complain since I didn't order the other divisions!

phatbob2007
Rookie
Rookie

Post by phatbob2007 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:15 am

peaches wrote:
phatbob2007 wrote:this was the first time lincoln has hosted any kind of winter review
Ok let me re-phrase this is the first time in 7 years Lincoln has hosted a winter review, and the first time that either of their directors have hosted a winter review period, btw i hardly count hosting 7 years ago experience lol, anyone who was there is long gone.

however winter champs is a beast of a show to put on, and despite a very very very rough start i feel that Lincoln managed to piece together a fairly decent review, i mean i think we can all say we have been to worse.

congrats to lincoln and thanks for your hospitality

This is Lincoln's 2nd time hosting winter champs. First time was in 2002. We had a horrible experience in 2002 with the warm-up room being far away from the performance gym plus a few other reasons I'd rather not get into...so was prepared with that in mind for this time around.
Benicia High Panther Band c/o 07 ToR Parade 2005
07-Current SJDC section leader / principal horn
07-08 Lincoln High (Stockton) Staff
08-Current Inderkum Music Staff
08-Current Tokay DL Co-Caption Head/ Marching Instructor