WGI 2009

Conversations about the fabulous art of color guard, both field and court

Moderators: laurab, Gallagher, guardthepiccolo

spinastick

WGI 2009

Post by spinastick » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:34 pm

Does anyone else think this is kind of a boring year for winterguard on the national level? There dosen't seem to be a lot of heated competion in any class (perhaps SW). I've been involved in the activity for nearly 10 years and I cant remember a year with so many lack luster shows. I'm certainly not saying that there arent' a lot of talented students marching this year, but the show designs are all so BLAH. Just wondering what others think of the quality of programing this year.

bummer
Rookie
Rookie

Re: WGI 2009

Post by bummer » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:29 am

on the contrary i think this year is more exciting..

No pride or fantasia.. that title is UP FOR GRABS..

last year was no james logan..
so it's going to be interesting seeing how logan does this year.

a bunch of new world groups.

i love it!

maybe it's the recession?

all_rifle_finale
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by all_rifle_finale » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:03 am

i've attended a few of the events here in northern california, ceres included, and i have to say that there ARE fewer units being put on the floor. but the ones that are out there are fairly exceptional.
as for logan's show this year, i was blown away. very big and colorful and fast...but also smart and incredibly bold as a statement.
i think this year we have more groups taking risks, its actually a nice change to see some fresh visions enter center stage this season. the wgi fan network is my new thing :clap2:
im LOVING nei, corona, in motion and alter ego :bow:

Guard-Dad
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Guard-Dad » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:27 am

I'm sorry to do this, but I've seen "Spinastick" post on two different areas about how "boring" shows are this year. Is this what these forums are for? To put DOWN the performances that all of these groups have been working months to perfect?!

I hate to sound like a dad, but after all I am a "Guard Dad" but come on, give these young men and women a break. I speak from direct knowledge of how many hours have been dedicated to these shows (having had to drop of and pick up and practice after practice)

With less the 3 weeks left until Nationals, how about we cheer on these groups and wish them Good Skills heading to Dayton?! You've obviously either been to shows, or watched them online, so some advice, if you don't like the shows, don't go, or don't watch! Just please don't come on here and talk bad about something that people are putting alot of time and effort into.

Sorry folks, I'll get off my soap box now. Just couldn't sit back any longer!!
"Colorguard .. to those who understand, no explanation needed .. To those who don't, no explanation possible"

spinastick

Post by spinastick » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:28 am

Hello Guard-Dad,

I'm surprised that my postings on World Of Pageantry rattle you so much. I apologize if you have some how interpreted my postings to be malicious or to be "put downs" as you wrote.

You should be applauded for taking the time to support your son or daughter in this wonderful activity that can teach life long lessons, good work ethic, and build friendships that will last a lifetime.

One of the things about the winterguard activity that I love is that its a competitive art form. The purpose of the competition is not to be better than another group, or to simply capture a trophy or medal, but rather to reward innovation and creativity.

In my simple and humble opinion "innovation and creativity" are somewhat lacking in the overall show designs this year. This is an activity that I care deeply for and has rewarded me in so many ways through out my life. As I write opinions in the forum its always with the hope of generating stimulating discussion on the topic. Discussion that is not ment to belittle any single individual or performing group.

I could maybe understand your response to my post more if I had torn down the individual performers in a group, but I even mentioned in my post how I believe there is a lot of "talented students marching this year".

What I would love to read more in this forum is more conversation topics and replies that deal with the overall state of the activity, and what the future holds for WGI. So bringing everything back full circle...I feel that the shows are somewhat boring this year. As I say that, what I would like to hear back is simply do others agree or disagree and why. Nothing about putting anyone down or making any person or group feel bad about themselves.

I hope that my response to you has clarified what I feel the purpose of this forum is and also the intent of my postings.

Good luck to you and all the groups that you support this season.

crfrey71
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crfrey71 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:47 am

spinastick wrote:Hello Guard-Dad,

I'm surprised that my postings on World Of Pageantry rattle you so much. I apologize if you have some how interpreted my postings to be malicious or to be "put downs" as you wrote.

You should be applauded for taking the time to support your son or daughter in this wonderful activity that can teach life long lessons, good work ethic, and build friendships that will last a lifetime.

One of the things about the winterguard activity that I love is that its a competitive art form. The purpose of the competition is not to be better than another group, or to simply capture a trophy or medal, but rather to reward innovation and creativity.

In my simple and humble opinion "innovation and creativity" are somewhat lacking in the overall show designs this year. This is an activity that I care deeply for and has rewarded me in so many ways through out my life. As I write opinions in the forum its always with the hope of generating stimulating discussion on the topic. Discussion that is not ment to belittle any single individual or performing group.

I could maybe understand your response to my post more if I had torn down the individual performers in a group, but I even mentioned in my post how I believe there is a lot of "talented students marching this year".

What I would love to read more in this forum is more conversation topics and replies that deal with the overall state of the activity, and what the future holds for WGI. So bringing everything back full circle...I feel that the shows are somewhat boring this year. As I say that, what I would like to hear back is simply do others agree or disagree and why. Nothing about putting anyone down or making any person or group feel bad about themselves.

I hope that my response to you has clarified what I feel the purpose of this forum is and also the intent of my postings.

Good luck to you and all the groups that you support this season.
I notice a difference this year, as well. I think there was a very big turnover for many guards after last season. Therefore, you are seeing guards in lower-demanding classes, such as La Quinta. They are InterA (and certainly see a noticeable change in their numbers/performers), when the last 3 years at least, they have been Scholastic Open. I think it is important that the shows have to be written based on what is possible for the kids to accomplish. Therefore, I do not think the shows are boring, but rather, it seems to be a big turnover years for many guards and they are in lower classes because of the youth and inexperience relative to what they have had in past seasons. I worry more about seeing shows where it written far beyond what the kids can do at this time in their training.

Official Photographer of the WGASC
http://www.freyphotos.com
wgascphotos@cox.net

Guard-Dad
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Guard-Dad » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:11 am

Hello spinastick..

I do appreciate your response. Perhaps I over-reacted a bit, but I'm very protective of "my kids" and it's hard for me to sit back and listen/watch anything negative said about any of them or their shows. Even if it is in a constructive way.

I would agree some with Charles, the group I work with in fact lost 17 seniors, but what the coaches have down with the group is simply amazing, they've grown so much this year I couldn't be more proud of each of them!!

With all the groups seemingly so young, let's instead focus on the future of the activity and what is to come!!

Thank you again
GD
"Colorguard .. to those who understand, no explanation needed .. To those who don't, no explanation possible"

guarddude
Veteran
Veteran

Post by guarddude » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:42 pm

Variety is the spice of life.

gd

crfrey71
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crfrey71 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:11 pm

By the way, I always like La Quinta's shows very much and this year is no different. I guess maybe it is boring this year, because there are no ladies hanging upside-down with drapes/sheets. j/k :P

Official Photographer of the WGASC
http://www.freyphotos.com
wgascphotos@cox.net