Anyone else worried?

Conversations about the fabulous art of color guard, both field and court

Moderators: laurab, Gallagher, guardthepiccolo

mariahorn
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Anyone else worried?

Post by mariahorn » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:14 pm

oreocookis wrote:The supposed yearly Art/music block grant that our district is supposed to give us from the state has never gotten to us, they are likely using it for other things.
Your district did get the money. The state has dispersed the one time grant for arts, music, pe (block grant #6761, one time only, about $81/student) during the 06-07 school year. There is also a recurring grant for arts and music (block grant #6760, about $18/student). Money for the 06-07 and 07-08 was given to school districts by the state. Sounds like your district might be trying to pull what mine did, first claiming they never got it, then claiming we spent it all, then claiming we'd have to give it back to the state for budget cuts, etc. It took just a few clicks of the mouse to find the exact amount and date the state sent it.

On an interesting note: the 6760 grant will continue for at least three more years! It will be reduced by 15% next year and 5% the following years.

Tomorrow night the school board is holding a public hearing and wants to transfer the $189,000 remaining from the grant to the general fund, where we will never see another dime of it. Adding the fact that my school pays for my buses but nothing else, this frustrates me. I already have my plan figured out for what speech I'm making tomorrow night.

Rhinestone kitty...you should go also and get as many parents and students there as possible. It was great that the board decided not to cut music, but now they want to take away the money that will allow us to continue teaching the students. Of the 95 students in my band, only 30 of those have their own instrument. The remaining 65 are using school instruments because they can't afford to get their own.

I'll stop now before I get too carried away and say something I may regret!

rhinestonekitty
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by rhinestonekitty » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:31 pm

mariahorn wrote:
oreocookis wrote:The supposed yearly Art/music block grant that our district is supposed to give us from the state has never gotten to us, they are likely using it for other things.
Your district did get the money. The state has dispersed the one time grant for arts, music, pe (block grant #6761, one time only, about $81/student) during the 06-07 school year. There is also a recurring grant for arts and music (block grant #6760, about $18/student). Money for the 06-07 and 07-08 was given to school districts by the state. Sounds like your district might be trying to pull what mine did, first claiming they never got it, then claiming we spent it all, then claiming we'd have to give it back to the state for budget cuts, etc. It took just a few clicks of the mouse to find the exact amount and date the state sent it.

On an interesting note: the 6760 grant will continue for at least three more years! It will be reduced by 15% next year and 5% the following years.

Tomorrow night the school board is holding a public hearing and wants to transfer the $189,000 remaining from the grant to the general fund, where we will never see another dime of it. Adding the fact that my school pays for my buses but nothing else, this frustrates me. I already have my plan figured out for what speech I'm making tomorrow night.

Rhinestone kitty...you should go also and get as many parents and students there as possible. It was great that the board decided not to cut music, but now they want to take away the money that will allow us to continue teaching the students. Of the 95 students in my band, only 30 of those have their own instrument. The remaining 65 are using school instruments because they can't afford to get their own.

Thanks for the information! Where is the public meeting being held? I will let the band director know. I am not a teacher yet so I don't know the politics that are going on...I am out of the loop (which is my fault, of course).

mariahorn
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mariahorn » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:39 am

rhinestonekitty wrote: Thanks for the information! Where is the public meeting being held? I will let the band director know. I am not a teacher yet so I don't know the politics that are going on...I am out of the loop (which is my fault, of course).
It's at Franklin Elementary School and starts at 7:00. I've sent emails out to the other district music teachers, but I don't know if they're spreading the word. We need as many people there as possible.

It would be GREAT if Paula Heupal spoke too! I loved her to death when she came to us last year after our principal died. She was the first principal to really advocate for our color guard, and I was bummed when we found out she wouldn't be staying at Rivera this year. You guys lucked out!

twinmomma
Rookie
Rookie

Post by twinmomma » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:54 am

I'm interested to hear how your school board meeting went. Did you get a chance to speak?
~twinmomma

mariahorn
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mariahorn » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:59 am

twinmomma wrote:I'm interested to hear how your school board meeting went. Did you get a chance to speak?
It hasn't happened yet...it's tonight. I'll post an update when I get home from the meeting. Hopefully it will be a one-paragraph woohoo instead of a 10 paragraph rant.

twinmomma
Rookie
Rookie

Post by twinmomma » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:36 am

Please...I'll be thinking good thoughts for you guys.
~twinmomma

WCHS_Captain
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by WCHS_Captain » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:10 am

JenKozy wrote:Sac City Unified does not have the music programs on the chopping block because "they don't want the music programs to continue". That is not the case at all. I suggest that you read up on the proposed budget cuts, get to a meeting, and educate yourself on the crisis this district and districts across California are facing. The pink slips in our district are done by seniority. There were 24 band directors in the district that got their slips. Your teacher was one of the lucky few who did not get one. Most likely due to the fact that he teaches other subjects besides music.

I understand your anger and frustration. But remember, at least your program at West is safe. If you truly want to make a difference, write letters to each member of the school board, write letters to state legislators and even the governor. Become part of the solution.
:wink:
hmm..oh.. :|
well yeah thats true..it does have a lot to do with the budget cut.. i heard back then that because of the budget cut, they want to cut down on music programs and focus more on college courses...

What really frustrate me is that i dont want for any schools to have their band cut off so i did write/email the school board a couple of weeks ago. I was hoping for a responce but they did not reply back. im not even sure if they read it or are taking us (the Students) seriously. Thats what frustrates me.. and knowing that my school is safe only make me happy by a little, like i said, i dont want for any of the school to lose their band and color guard..if i know that they're all safe too then i know for a fact that i will be much happier..i love watching other bands and colorguards..
*LingLing*

-Guard Captain/Rifle Line
'08 Field Theme 'Catch That Spy'
'09 Winter Guard Theme 'Safarazon'
-Sacramento Youth Band
-Sac. State Exhibition

oreocookis
Veteran
Veteran

Post by oreocookis » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:03 pm

mariahorn wrote:

Yea I was talking about the 6760 on going grant, we have yet to receive anything from that nor do we hear where that money is going.
We did get the one-time grant years ago, though not much because the P.E wanted to build a new Weight-room and they won.
Jennie M
American Eagles Marching Band Woodwind, Colorguard and Winter Guard Instructor
Fremont Unified After- school Elementary Band Teacher

mariahorn
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mariahorn » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:21 pm

Well, we lost all our grant money :( :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

I am too mad right now so I will not say anything else until I have some time to cool off.

I'm glad they feel the money is better spent in the general fund being spent on ridiculous things than being spent for it's original intent. I'm more pissed that the chief fiscal officer totally lied to the board, and when I tried to clarify/tell the truth they shut me up because "the public comment period is over."
:hmrd: :hmrd: :hmrd: :hmrd: :hmrd:

vore
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by vore » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:59 am

Again... most Principals (all administrators) don't have principles.

vore 8-)
"Educators are teachers who have taken an easy subject and made it difficult."

twinmomma
Rookie
Rookie

Post by twinmomma » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:00 am

Oh I am so sorry...I totally understand your frustration and anger. I really need to get back to my writing and put together a piece on music education and children and the various successes it's related to. I've been wanting to do that for a long time, but I think now is the time...Then submit to every paper and website I can get my hands on...
~twinmomma

baritoneplayer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by baritoneplayer » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:01 am

mariahorn wrote:Well, we lost all our grant money :( :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

I am too mad right now so I will not say anything else until I have some time to cool off.

I'm glad they feel the money is better spent in the general fund being spent on ridiculous things than being spent for it's original intent. I'm more pissed that the chief fiscal officer totally lied to the board, and when I tried to clarify/tell the truth they shut me up because "the public comment period is over."
:hmrd: :hmrd: :hmrd: :hmrd: :hmrd:
Well I would lke to say that I am surprised, but knowing how things are done in Merced having witnessed it first hand during my 49 years here it does not! School boards here constantly violate "The Brown Act" on a continual basis. Frankly, I believe your program was going to loose the money anyway as the decision was already made before you even tried to voice your opinion! I hope that this does not handicap your program too much. I can see that if this keeps happening you might not be able to afford to go to band reviews or other events which require travel. Good luck to you!