Question about 5 1/2 vs. 6 foot flag poles

Conversations about the fabulous art of color guard, both field and court

Moderators: laurab, Gallagher, guardthepiccolo

Mookmoos25
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Question about 5 1/2 vs. 6 foot flag poles

Post by Mookmoos25 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:51 am

In all honesty, I enjoy the 6 ft better. It seems to rotate nicer under tosses and just overall much better. I am only 5'1 and spinning something larger than me by almost a foot, I kinda like it, it makes it easier to perform because the distance you need to grab is slightly longer, so it opens up the torso for a better performance.

My girls I teach (Middle School) spin 5 1/2 not to my preference. My co-instructor had them and uses them. A few of the girls spun my 6fts and thought it was more fun. Then again, all my girls are about my size, if not taller.

Just look at the size of you guard, not the number of people, but how tall are they. To learn basics and to start, the 5 1/2s work well, but for performing, I find the 6 look better.
Miss me much?

rifle-saurus-rex

Post by rifle-saurus-rex » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:35 pm

My school always spun 5 1/2 foot poles until this year. We bought them for our whole squad, but they do not make that much of a difference. In our Winterguard show we use both sizes, mostly because we needed more poles, but they do not look a whole lot different. I personally like the 5 1/2 poles better because I have spun them forever and you can do a whole lot more with them. We tried using both sizes at once too and there just is not enough of a contrast to look like anything.
Spinning things is fun to do,
Let's think of somethhing new to do!
Toss the rifle through and through,
Look! And now I'm black and blue!

helloimRonnie

Post by helloimRonnie » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:46 pm

My 2 cents on this would basically be, if a short student is able to spin comfortably with a 6 ft, opposed to a 5 1/2, I'd say stick with the standard 6, but in relation to proportion of the body, 5 1/2 would seem more plausible. I'd say a student under 5' should spin 5 1/2. 5' to 5' 3" would be more of your opinion.
Eastlake CG '06 to now.

oreocookis
Veteran
Veteran

Post by oreocookis » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:34 pm

In response to the USA camp, after they canceled it for guard I called up one of the instructors and she came out and did a camp for my kids at about $75 for 2-3 days. She actually instructs in NCBA and in Fremont as well at Mission San Jose H.S, I still have her help when she can and I learn from her as well. If groups are concerned with cost, usually the more students who attend a camp like that the cheaper the cost. This past year I decided to do my own camp which meant I got to start my show earlier..
Jennie M
American Eagles Marching Band Woodwind, Colorguard and Winter Guard Instructor
Fremont Unified After- school Elementary Band Teacher