RECAPS: NCBA Antioch Preview of Champions (02/28/09)

Conversations about the fabulous art of color guard, both field and court

Moderators: laurab, Gallagher, guardthepiccolo

Blindman
Rookie
Rookie

RECAPS: NCBA Antioch Preview of Champions (02/28/09)

Post by Blindman » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:56 pm

Northern California Band Association
Preview of Champions
Antioch High School
Antioch, California
February 28, 2009

[PHSN]

72.85 Concord
72.00 Lodi
71.40 Deer Valley
70.05 Mission San Jose
69.35 Kings Academy
68.20 Lincoln
66.20 Center

[PHSS]

85.95 Atwater
83.75 Elk Grove
81.20 Rodriguez

[PHSO]

86.90 Vallejo
84.70 Foothill-Pleasanton

[MSN]

NO SCORES AVAILABLE

[MSA]

NO SCORES AVAILABLE

[HSNB]

71.10 Casa Grande / Freedom
70.90 Bear Creek

[HSNA]

79.00 Center
76.60 Lincoln
76.40 Kings Academy

[HSI]

80.40 Lodi
78.70 Concord
78.00 Whitney
77.70 Elk Grove
77.50 Oakmont/Antelope
76.80 Atwater
76.50 Mission San Jose
75.30 Rodriguez "B"

[HSS]

80.30 Rodriguez "A"
80.00 Vallejo "B"

[HSO]

88.80 Vallejo "A"
86.90 Foothill-Pleasanton
Last edited by Blindman on Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rhinestonekitty
New Recruit
New Recruit

Re: NCBA Antioch Preview of Champions Line-Up (02/28/09)

Post by rhinestonekitty » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:46 am

Rivera has 2 guards in MSN?

twinmomma
Rookie
Rookie

Post by twinmomma » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:57 am

Thank you for posting this. I still haven't received anything in the mail...
~twinmomma

evil reneguard Diva
Rookie
Rookie

Post by evil reneguard Diva » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:45 am

i haven't received anything either. Does anyone know if packets are being sent out?

Blindman
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Blindman » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:14 pm

They have been sending out the schedules in letter envelopes, not in packets. You should be getting them soon, as they supposedly started coming in as of yesterday.

evil reneguard Diva
Rookie
Rookie

Post by evil reneguard Diva » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:30 pm

I hope so.....I have received info as early as 2 weeks ahead of time.....here it is 3 days before the show and nothing....

thanks to Blindman for posting the schedule....without you I wouldn't have any idea what to tell my kids at rehearsal tonight!

mariahorn
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mariahorn » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:22 pm

rhinestonekitty wrote:Rivera has 2 guards in MSN?
Yes, this is kind of a weird year for us. We had so many 8th graders graduate last year that almost everyone in both guards is new. Abilities are very similar (although we can now see what happens when you have one guard who works hard and practices and another guard who have great coaches but don't feel the need to practice at home). The only reason we split into two guards is because of our numbers (in December we had 19 in A and 20-something in B, now have 15 in A and 13 in B). We had 34 in our first show ever three years ago, but our coaches didn't want a guard that big (I do though!), so we split. Our B guard last year did not compete (only performed at our city's "local's only" show and open house), and our A guard remained in novice for the 3rd year (we have one 1st at every single championships, but never won champs).

At last year's Livermore/Granada show, we were told at awards for morning show to move up to next division, and told at awards for afternoon show that we shouldn't/couldn't move up.

Our plan for now is have both guards compete, starting in novice, and if the judges and Mr. Nielsen feel the A guard is ready for the next division up, we will move.

rhinestonekitty
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by rhinestonekitty » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:47 pm

mariahorn wrote:
rhinestonekitty wrote:Rivera has 2 guards in MSN?
Yes, this is kind of a weird year for us. We had so many 8th graders graduate last year that almost everyone in both guards is new. Abilities are very similar (although we can now see what happens when you have one guard who works hard and practices and another guard who have great coaches but don't feel the need to practice at home). The only reason we split into two guards is because of our numbers (in December we had 19 in A and 20-something in B, now have 15 in A and 13 in B). We had 34 in our first show ever three years ago, but our coaches didn't want a guard that big (I do though!), so we split. Our B guard last year did not compete (only performed at our city's "local's only" show and open house), and our A guard remained in novice for the 3rd year (we have one 1st at every single championships, but never won champs).

At last year's Livermore/Granada show, we were told at awards for morning show to move up to next division, and told at awards for afternoon show that we shouldn't/couldn't move up.

Our plan for now is have both guards compete, starting in novice, and if the judges and Mr. Nielsen feel the A guard is ready for the next division up, we will move.
Sounds good...I was just making sure it wasn't an error on the lineup! Good luck this weekend :) I hope to see some youtube videos!

--Stephanie

mariahorn
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mariahorn » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:52 pm

rhinestonekitty wrote:
Sounds good...I was just making sure it wasn't an error on the lineup! Good luck this weekend :) I hope to see some youtube videos!

--Stephanie
Thank you! We are VERY excited. The uniforms we wanted were backordered, so we ordered different ones last week. They arrived yesterday and are soooooooo pretty (all black dress-like thing...to tired to explain). We had the girls put them on and run the show a few times. They were VERY self consious about them, so then we made them walk around the school for about 20 minutes until they got that feeling out of them! The colors of our flags popped out so nice with these uniforms, and I think this is really the first time this whole year that I'm super excited we're in winter season again. I love winter season, but for some reason this year it just too me too long to get into it. If the video isn't on youtube, it will be on our website on the photos and video page the following day.

rhinestonekitty
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by rhinestonekitty » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:42 pm

mariahorn wrote:
rhinestonekitty wrote:

--Stephanie
Thank you! We are VERY excited. The uniforms we wanted were backordered, so we ordered different ones last week. They arrived yesterday and are soooooooo pretty (all black dress-like thing...to tired to explain). We had the girls put them on and run the show a few times. They were VERY self consious about them, so then we made them walk around the school for about 20 minutes until they got that feeling out of them! The colors of our flags popped out so nice with these uniforms, and I think this is really the first time this whole year that I'm super excited we're in winter season again. I love winter season, but for some reason this year it just too me too long to get into it. If the video isn't on youtube, it will be on our website on the photos and video page the following day.
We have a similar situation with our uniforms...they will not be ready to ship until March 6th which is unfortunately the day of our first competition! We are just going to make due and hopefully have our uniforms by Locals Only (WE BETTER ANYWAY!). Oh, btw, I don't think I mentioned this before, but I am the guard instructor at Cruickshank. : ) Anyway, Rivera's uniforms sound very pretty...I cannot wait until Locals Only to see all of the schools around here perform...especially because it'll probably be my last Locals Only...for a few years at least. :(

--Stephanie

tara8301
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tara8301 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:26 pm

so about the shipment date on the uniforms. I had a problem with algy last year... but I think I called them about once every week letting them know when my first show was.... they swore to me that they would not be shipped until our show date but low and behold I recieved them the day before our first show..... so I guess what I am trying to say is to make sure the company knows your first show is on that date and they can sometimes rush a little bit... also keep bugging them.. it never hurt anything! :)
"This is LIFE, this is not a dress rehearsal"

rhinestonekitty
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by rhinestonekitty » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:55 pm

tara8301 wrote:so about the shipment date on the uniforms. I had a problem with algy last year... but I think I called them about once every week letting them know when my first show was.... they swore to me that they would not be shipped until our show date but low and behold I recieved them the day before our first show..... so I guess what I am trying to say is to make sure the company knows your first show is on that date and they can sometimes rush a little bit... also keep bugging them.. it never hurt anything! :)

I've ordered from Algy before and had no issues. This time, we ordered from A Wish Come True. I love their designs and their customer service is great, but when I informed them of our first competition and how we really need those uniforms, they told me it was "dance season" and they could not rush it. I even asked if we could pay more to expedite it and they said no. :/ *sigh* Oh well...next time we know to order much earlier (we ordered at the end of January). I am still going to take your suggestion and bug them for the next few days just to see what can be done :) ...we have about a week to go!

JenKozy
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by JenKozy » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:02 am

I have had really good luck with A Wish Come True. They are usually faster than they say. Once, I actually got our uniforms on the est. ship date. That was funny! :lol:

If you are crunched for time, here is some info that might help next season. A Wish Come True does have a section called Quick Ship. You can't change anything on those uniforms, but I have been able to make them work in the past. We got our uniforms in under two weeks. :yeah:
I am NOT too old for this!

I'd rather be Dreaming... in a tree.

tao707
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tao707 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:55 pm

comp was great. videos r uploading right now. black list will be in effect.

ErinF
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ErinF » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:36 pm

someone post scores when you get them. We didnt go but i cant wait to see videos of how everyone else did.