Conversations about the fabulous art of color guard, both field and court

Moderators: laurab, Gallagher, guardthepiccolo

evil reneguard Diva
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Rodriguez Show

Post by evil reneguard Diva » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:12 pm

JenKozy wrote:Hey Erin.

Did you guys get a "Chipmunk" tape from the GE judge??
I did too....but looks like Diane is rectifying the situation. Like a show, she had a break and is now recovering! :lol:

JenKozy
Section Leader
Section Leader

Re: Judge/Instructor Conversation-from "Rodriguez Show"

Post by JenKozy » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:57 pm

Jennie.

I don't know what your situation is during the summer, but I found that I learn a lot about how to write work and deal with drill by marching in Sr. Corps. Since you are down in the bay area... Renegades are not to far from you, and I hear they are looking for a few more people. One of their instructors was my instructor a few years ago, and he is a HUGE well of knowledge! I can't tell you how much my design improved after marching a summer in Sr. Corps. It's like DCI, but for us old folks who just don't want to hang up our hats, right Stu? :lol:
I am NOT too old for this!

I'd rather be Dreaming... in a tree.

danceswithwood
Rookie
Rookie

Post by danceswithwood » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:13 pm

crickett wrote:I would like to see more judges training opportunities and more clinics. I happen to be in the minority. Sometimes there is a feeling that they are not well attended or valued by the membership. My feeling is they are very valuable to those who choose to come. And if you build them people will come, it takes some time. Also in reality I am often too busy to do more than I currently am. I did get some good suggestions at the last meeting. Although I don't think there were a lot of guard or percussion coaches there. I welcome your input at any time.
Hola Crickett,

Count me in your minority because I agree with everything you've said here. I know the task of education is a little like trying to kick a rock up a hill and I thank you for continuing to be a champion of the clinics. :bow:

Some of the best "education" I've received has happened accidentally and has come in the form of informal conversations with other colorguard folk. These have happened for me in the restaurant after the show, at the Starbucks before the show or in the car on the way to the show that's two hours away, etc. Is it possible that an informal gathering could become part of the fall meeting (or any meeting) ... a time and a place where the pageantry community could have an unscripted exchange of information???? Most of our clinics and critiques are pretty structured and don't really allow an opportunity for real conversation. Wondering if an open forum approach might be more appealing than a "clinic" yet just as educational???

crickett
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crickett » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:29 am

Thanks, support is always welcome!

You know, as I have been reading this I have been thinking along those lines. There is a huge wealth of information from all areas out there. I would love to hear some ideas about what other band directors are doing well too. So, I was thinking of a forum concept with a moderator. Having food often helps too! :) I was/am concerned that if there was no moderator to get things started it might not include everyone. I know most of us are not shy, but, sometimes it helps to have someone break the ice. I also was thinking it would help if there was something that went out to people to bring their ideas or teaching tools with the idea of every one sharing. Getting away from the expert in front style to the idea that we are all experts and have something to share.

twinmomma
Rookie
Rookie

Post by twinmomma » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:22 am

A moderator is good to keep things from being one-sided and ensure everyone gets heard. And it's almost BETTER to have a moderator who is not involved and even has little knowledge of the activity because they are less likely to skew the discussions.

I think a forum, a directed forum, with specific topics to be covered, rather than a free-for-all, is a good idea. I actually think that we could do a full day with a few forums - maybe a parade, field, and winterguard, or equipment, movement, recruiting, etc...

I recently participated in an event through work utilizing a concept called World Cafe. It's basically a situation where a large group separates into small (4-6 people) groups and discusses a topic, then 30 min later switches to a different topic at a different table. Then at the end, everyone brings all the ideas together. It is hard to explain but got a LOT of information out there in a short amount of time. The woman we worked with was through UC Davis. Might be worth looking into as part of something we do.
~twinmomma

twinmomma
Rookie
Rookie

Post by twinmomma » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:29 am

http://www.theworldcafe.com/articles/cafetogo.pdf

Just an idea of what it's about. It might really work for us!
~twinmomma

guard matey
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by guard matey » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:26 pm

as an instructor/judge for NCBA, I have to say I've enjoyed reading this thread and appreciate everyone's candid points of view. I regret not being able to judge this year as the only day my guard could get practice time in the gym was on show days (Saturdays).

I think an open forum aimed at instructors/judges as suggested by danceswithwood would be a great event. I would certainly make a point of being there, and, like many of us in NCBA, could represent either side. Since I work with Crickett, I'm sure we'll be having more than one conversation about how we might be able to make it happen (no promises yet!!)

I'm also proud to say that I first met north state di back in the day when she was instructing at Fairfield. While at the Ukiah band review with my group, I saw her choreographing with a flag from across the parking lot and walked over to meet her. She had a certain 'spark' and somehow I knew that 25+ years later we would still be involved in this activity :)
The Golden Rule still applies. :)