NCBA -- airblades?

Conversations about the fabulous art of color guard, both field and court

Moderators: laurab, Gallagher, guardthepiccolo

rhinestonekitty
New Recruit
New Recruit

NCBA -- airblades?

Post by rhinestonekitty » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:02 am

Does anyone know if airblades are allowed in NCBA? I don't see why they wouldn't be except for this rule: "All equipment must have protection on each end to avoid damage to gym floors. Judges may stop the competition and disqualify any unit who has any equipment that may damage a contest floor." I suppose that could be fixed with tape?

laurab
Support Staff
Support Staff

Re: NCBA -- airblades?

Post by laurab » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:04 am

WGI is not recognizing airblades as official equipment, meaning, you may use them but they will not contribute to your equipment time. I am using them at one of my schools but we have flags on the floor at the same time so there is no real negative impact. If your circuit follows WGI guidelines the same would apply

danceswithwood
Rookie
Rookie

Post by danceswithwood » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:29 pm

NCBA's rules are pretty specific about "standard equipment" being flag, rifle and sabre and there's no clarification for the rifle and sabre beyond that. I'm betting the judges in the box will probably judge it as a rifle but the T&P folks may look at it as a prop --- you should email Kris Harper (Winter VP) for clarification.

crickett
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crickett » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:35 pm

My group is using airblades this year too. I asked at the general meeting in January if they were standard and the answer was no. We are still using them, but we are also using flags at the same time so we don't get in trouble with the standard equipment rule. At the June meeting we can change the rule for next year, but we can't change a rule for this year at the January meeting.

rhinestonekitty
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by rhinestonekitty » Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:21 pm

thanks for all of your replies :) very helpful!

we will be using them but also making sure we have the standard equipment time taken care of!

thanks again!

WCHS_Captain
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by WCHS_Captain » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:24 pm

that's very wierd... I'm in ncba n we used blades for the first show cuz our rifles weren't in yet but nothing happened... They still judged it as weapon...
*LingLing*

-Guard Captain/Rifle Line
'08 Field Theme 'Catch That Spy'
'09 Winter Guard Theme 'Safarazon'
-Sacramento Youth Band
-Sac. State Exhibition

danceswithwood
Rookie
Rookie

Post by danceswithwood » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:04 pm

WCHS_Captain wrote:that's very wierd... I'm in ncba n we used blades for the first show cuz our rifles weren't in yet but nothing happened... They still judged it as weapon...

I don't find that weird at all ... it seems like the right thing to do from the perspective of the judges in the box ... but that doesn't necessarily mean it was counted as eq time by the T&P judge

T&P judges are usually pretty kind at first shows and hand out warnings rather than penalties, so if you didn't get a warning then my guess is you had your EQ time covered already

And while we're on the subject of airblades ... does anyone besides me think they look a bit weighty and awkward??? Especially in the hands of the newbies?

twinmomma
Rookie
Rookie

Post by twinmomma » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:18 pm

I think that it's important to have solid rifle skills before trying the airblade. I think they look the most awkward when the rifle fundamentals in the group aren't strong yet. Because they don't have the ability to transfer skills to a similar piece of equipment as the skills aren't solidified yet.

I think they definitely have their place, on the field for sure - because they are visually very interesting. I'd really love to see the airblade used with more modern choreography - mia michaels type stuff - would be fascinating...
~twinmomma

JenKozy
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by JenKozy » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:04 pm

Total curiosity question... what about "sickles"??? I have seen a few guards in the past use them. I guess they are still considered rifles since they are closer in looks to the rifle than the air blade... but an interesting thought, none the less.

I remember Phantom using them in DCI a few times... and seeing them on the floor in WGI. And who can forget the amazing "blades of grass" in BLAST!? I always thought they were interesting. And boy oh boy, do I want to play with an air blade! :wink:
I am NOT too old for this!

I'd rather be Dreaming... in a tree.

guard matey
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by guard matey » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:04 pm

danceswithwood wrote:
And while we're on the subject of airblades ... does anyone besides me think they look a bit weighty and awkward??? Especially in the hands of the newbies?
I decided to try airblades this year with my group for the first time. There were multiple reasons, but bottomline I felt the airblades were a better fit for the look of the show I was going for. Even so, it took me a while to get used to the look once in the hands of the students, and I agree they can look weighty and awkward.
It has been a challenge, but I have enjoyed choreographing with a new piece of equipment. Perhaps, just as our rifles have evolved over time, the airblade will as well.
The Golden Rule still applies. :)

rhinestonekitty
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by rhinestonekitty » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:57 pm

JenKozy wrote:Total curiosity question... what about "sickles"??? I have seen a few guards in the past use them. I guess they are still considered rifles since they are closer in looks to the rifle than the air blade... but an interesting thought, none the less.

Golden Valley B Guard uses sickles this year.

WCHS_Captain
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by WCHS_Captain » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:24 am

danceswithwood wrote:
WCHS_Captain wrote:that's very wierd... I'm in ncba n we used blades for the first show cuz our rifles weren't in yet but nothing happened... They still judged it as weapon...

I don't find that weird at all ... it seems like the right thing to do from the perspective of the judges in the box ... but that doesn't necessarily mean it was counted as eq time by the T&P judge

T&P judges are usually pretty kind at first shows and hand out warnings rather than penalties, so if you didn't get a warning then my guess is you had your EQ time covered already

Airblades does look a bit weighty and awkward, but it took me about about 2 days to get use to them. Since i was in the rifle line before using blades, it wasnt that awkward...all you have to do was mess with it for a while. But it did take the newbies a while to get a hang of it..
*LingLing*

-Guard Captain/Rifle Line
'08 Field Theme 'Catch That Spy'
'09 Winter Guard Theme 'Safarazon'
-Sacramento Youth Band
-Sac. State Exhibition

danceswithwood
Rookie
Rookie

Post by danceswithwood » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:29 am

guard matey wrote:
danceswithwood wrote:
I decided to try airblades this year with my group for the first time. There were multiple reasons, but bottomline I felt the airblades were a better fit for the look of the show I was going for. Even so, it took me a while to get used to the look once in the hands of the students, and I agree they can look weighty and awkward.
It has been a challenge, but I have enjoyed choreographing with a new piece of equipment. Perhaps, just as our rifles have evolved over time, the airblade will as well.
Cool! It's the creative uses I've been wanting to see. As weighty and difficult as they appear it seems to me that's there's a LOT of unique opportunities to do non-traditional "work" with the airblade but, so far, every group I've seen has handled them exactly as if they were a traditional rifle ... and that's left me wondering if they're worth the training effort.

I'm looking forward to seeing a group willing to explore beyond the obvious :yeah: