Is it worth it?

Conversations about the fabulous art of color guard, both field and court

Moderators: laurab, Gallagher, guardthepiccolo

flagchild06
Section Leader
Section Leader

Is it worth it?

Post by flagchild06 » Sun Jun 08, 2003 9:43 pm

I'm not going on to rifle because I've missed so many class periods that I'm too behind to even try out. I'm incredibly weak on my left. My captain hates me and all I get from my fellow freshman is them bragging. All they do is brag. Every 5 seconds my supposed friend in guard is bragging about rifle or she's correcting me. It's aggravating! My best friend isn't my best friend anymore, my closest friend in guard is obsessed with herself and her problems and her boyfriend. Out of the 14 other girls in guard, I have 1 that I can talk to. All my closest friends are either busy or they quit. I love to spin and dance and I love to perform. I've had plenty of people tell me I was born to perform. I'm probably going to wind up staying on flag.

Is it worth it to even stay in? I don't even think any one of my guard wants me to stay.
Uh-oh for life!
EAT THE FREAKIN COOKIE!!!
I can't get my fat ass off the ground.
Because God said I could be a super ninja.

granadagirl

Hang in there!

Post by granadagirl » Sun Jun 08, 2003 10:32 pm

Hey, it sounds like your getting kinda stressed out! But this kind of stuff happens to me all the time. I think you should just hang in there, and in probably a week or two, things will seem like normal. Im sure you have some talents in flag or dance that your friends dont, so don't let the bragging get to you. Don't worry about not spinning rifle, and maybe even try to be happy for your friends.(Rifle can be really painful your first season spinning anyway) But yeah, stick with it and be open to friendships with everyone on your guard. I'm sure you'll be happy if you stay! :lol:

Colorguard_Tanks_RollyPol
New Recruit
New Recruit

You'll make it!

Post by Colorguard_Tanks_RollyPol » Mon Jun 09, 2003 6:26 pm

Don't worry I understand what you're going through. People can suck sometimes, but hang in there. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Remember that because it will help you get through life. Honestly though if you feel like you can't handle it than maybe take an independent dance class. You said you loved to dance, but about the spinning part maybe join and independent guard? I really hope that everything works out and you know what trying sitting everyone down in your guard and have a group talk. Have everyone vent there problems and maybe you all can work them out. I hope things work out for the best.

Christina

flagratgirl
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by flagratgirl » Mon Jun 09, 2003 11:21 pm

nessa u better not quit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we need u ur the comic relief. dont worry if u dont make it on rifle ill prolly be doign flag wiht you its ok. i did flag trust me its worth it cuz u get really good at flag then u get to show off! ur awsome and u better not quit u were the one that kept me there all those times in winterguard its my turn to make u stick wiht it :wink:

sabrebatgirl
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by sabrebatgirl » Wed Jun 11, 2003 7:48 pm

Vanessa you better stay because you are an awesome performer and if it's what you love to do then why leave? I know the people piss you off sometimes... well, a lot of times but hey, at least we can be pissed off together. I know you are stressed, but I really think you should stay. The leadership will prolly get better, they are new to it. And besides, I loooooove you and who would be my siamese twin if you left?

colorguardchicken02

:)

Post by colorguardchicken02 » Mon Dec 22, 2003 4:27 pm

even tho i was only in guard half of feild season i got really stressed out too. if you love to do this, then stick with it. im sure no one s you and ur bst friend is jsut as stressed as you are. just give things some time to settle and stick with what you love. :wink: remember guard is a family! :hug: :wav:

LHScg
New Recruit
New Recruit

breath

Post by LHScg » Tue Dec 23, 2003 12:55 pm

I totally know what your going through. sometimes people aroudn you that feel like your friends are completely hopeless. but it always gets better i promise you. as far as the rifle thing goes as i've posted many time personally i luv flag to pieces and if i was ask which pice of equitment i wanted to spin in every show for the rest of my life it would be flag. twenty rifles can toss but how much cooler is it to watch twenty flag do anything at the same time. talk about breathless. so keep with it nothing is ever quiet like guard and you will regret it if you quit but i garantee youll have many times when you say omg i am sooooo glad i stuck with it cuz "life isnt about sitting at home watching samllville"

broken_panda
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by broken_panda » Thu Dec 25, 2003 5:55 pm

I so know what you are going through. Don't let the other girls affect you negatively like that. If you really love it then just stick with it. This may sound cliche but I know exactly what you are going through. I am dealing with the same thing. Guard should be a place where you leave your problems at the door and get rid of all your stress. It shouldn't be the one causing all the stress.

And girl as far as the whole rifle thing goes... flag is just as important as any other piece of equipment on the floor or field. Don't think that being a rifle is all high and mighty. From my experience, our indoor shows usually revolve around the flag line. My freshman year on Open Guard we had the senior weapon line tossing triples while the mainly fresman flag line was doing toss turn-arounds. Having a clean flag line is just as good as having a weapon line that can toss 5's or 6's. But that's just my thoughts on it.

I hope everything works out with you and your guard.

Group hug...:hug:
No great was ever achieved without enthusiasm

'do drill, not drugs'

flagchild06
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by flagchild06 » Sun Dec 28, 2003 8:28 pm

Oh yeah, um I stayed. I didn't make rifle and my new instructor can't tell the difference between me and the freshman. My guard life goes up and down :roll: but flirting with TMRQuintkid makes me smile! ... Anyways, guard is guard and mine has a flare fro drama, so we'll just stick along. But thanks for all the group hug mushy junk (can ya tell I'm boyish?) it makes me feel loved.
Uh-oh for life!
EAT THE FREAKIN COOKIE!!!
I can't get my fat ass off the ground.
Because God said I could be a super ninja.

flagratgirl
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by flagratgirl » Sun Dec 28, 2003 9:14 pm

you are loved. and he can tell the difference between u and the freshman its just that stephanie is really good and hey he didnt pick me at first for the clinic either. you stick out when u perform that what helps determine the difference between u and the freshman. its good that he cant tell the difference between classes that means we can all look like atleast sophmores. but if u think about it im a junior and he thought i was a freshman talk abotu feeling bad.
WOP OT Mafia Game I: Townsperson champion

There is no beginning or end.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is mystery.
Today is a gift.