Teaching Leadership?

A place for student leaders, drum majors, section leaders, student council members, etc.

Moderators: dmcoach, nopsbs

Jakob der ludner
Veteran
Veteran

Teaching Leadership?

Post by Jakob der ludner » Sun May 28, 2006 3:09 pm

Ok, so basically I got a dilemma. We're going through drum major clinics right now to aid in the drum major tryout process, but I'm not so sure I should incorporate a whole lot of leadership training into that process. We do about an hour a day for two weeks. Personally, I don't think that's enough time, but if you guys have some more efficient techniques then it's cool. Right now, I'm just having them reflect on why they want to be drum major, which will build character hopefully. We're gonna have leadership sessions for all of the band leaders over the summer anyway, so I want to know if leadership training at this point would be useful, or should I just wait until the summer sessions?
BHS Marching Band:
Head DM. Head Clarinet SL.
TofR Honor Band Clarinet: 05-06
VK Sops 07
Cal Band Mellos 07

MoophoniumMan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MoophoniumMan » Sun May 28, 2006 5:16 pm

To me it seems that you'd want to have as many people trained in leadership as possible. As we've all experienced, it doesn't take a title to be a leader, and it's probably to the best benefit of the band if as many people as possible are trained properly in leadership.

MrSpielberg2

Post by MrSpielberg2 » Mon May 29, 2006 4:38 pm

Well Jakob der ludner, you should already have an idea of who is qualified to be a leader, if someone isn't already qualified to be drum major because of their personality of leadership, this next week and a half wont change that, you should focus more on the technical stuff, but focusing on why someone wants to be drum major is a good thing to do, just dont reaveal what your looking for in the answer to the people trying out, let them come up with their own answers and you should ask them all induvidually when they are alone with the people running the clinics so they answer honestly and dont just answer as others have.

WOO10's my Idol
Veteran
Veteran

Post by WOO10's my Idol » Mon May 29, 2006 9:43 pm

MoophoniumMan wrote:To me it seems that you'd want to have as many people trained in leadership as possible. As we've all experienced, it doesn't take a title to be a leader, and it's probably to the best benefit of the band if as many people as possible are trained properly in leadership.
adding on to that maybe after you have the drum major leadership event, maybe the band should take a day out before band camp to sit down with all the returners to and explain that they can show leadership as well and make the band that much better
When life gives you lemons,
Make Orange Juice.
Then leave the world wondering
how the hell you did it.

IsnipeWithAknife
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by IsnipeWithAknife » Mon May 29, 2006 11:05 pm

what do you mean by leadership training? couldn't you just give opportunities of responsibility to various people? I dont really understand all this technical, formulaic theoretical and whatnot breakdown of leadership and developing those areas. Honestly the thing that got me most when I was a band leader was I realized I was not as responsibile as I thought I was
WHS '05, UCSB '10
WOP OT Round 1 Picture Battle Champion!
WOP OT Mafia Game II: First ever mafia champions
http://officeofstrategicinfluence.com/spam/

cup_o_noodles007
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cup_o_noodles007 » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:15 am

preparation for leadership in any lenght is a good thing. as long as the methods are consistant with what actually happens in the program. its pointless to be taught one way of leading, and then to have it scrapped for an entirely different way. i think through the process, its easier to fidn out who has leadership abilities or not. be sure to be aware of your judge of character, though. many band directors seem endowed to believe they have the perfect perception of people and their abilities. unfortunatly its not true. dont be afraid to ask other students or staff their opinions for fear it may be different than yours, even if its overwhelmingly against you.

phatbob2007
Rookie
Rookie

Post by phatbob2007 » Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:01 pm

yeah, there cant be any harm in training people to be leaders, even if they dont get drum major, they could still be on your band council in the future, or maybe section leader, but i think we all know it doesnt take a title to ba a leader. if half your band is made up of good leaders, thats really only half thae band you have to work on, and the other half can lead them, and it will make the DM's job easier. i mean isnt that how people get on band council or becom DM? by showing leadership even though they arnt in a position? i say go for it, it will be better for your band :)

PeterPanIsWhoIam
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by PeterPanIsWhoIam » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:49 pm

teaching leadership suxx... cuz ur advice is usually not taken the right way... hahah i member giving adivece to my trainee and he took it wrong and went a lil power crazed
Peter Like Duh!!

musicallife
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by musicallife » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:49 pm

You can't really teach leadership...it is more of a natural thing people should have if they are qualified. You can try and tell them they need to help people and fix parts. Great leadership comes naturally. That is how our director picks leadership team...good leadership shown during rehersals, applications, and great personality. Just try to have natural leadership...it might be great for you.
>>>Jessica
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
>French Horns are amazing!
>>Section leader, Uniform manager