Not appreciated

A place for student leaders, drum majors, section leaders, student council members, etc.

Moderators: dmcoach, nopsbs

Yellow Flute-tee

Not appreciated

Post by Yellow Flute-tee » Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:19 pm

I know this sounds pathetic, and especially as my first post (sob), but tonight was our senior/awards night. And throughout the season, I've been working my tail off, literally. I have a C in about half my classes right now because I've been spending my time in the band room, helping freshman, cleaning up the room, and filing papers for my director. I've been to all of the rehearsals, all the sectionals, with all my materials, ready to work when even some section leaders weren't prepared. When testing with music or drill, I was correct and passed each test.

But it was our awards night tonight, and they distributed an award to one outstanding student in each class. I was expected some kind of recognition, or at least a word of praise from my favorite senior section leader. But she went ahead and gave the award to some random girl who I've rarely seen at rehearsals.

It's been over for a while, but I still like breaking down and punching a wall or something. It's frustrating, not getting any appreciation when you deserve it.

Help me out? :(
When you know you should shut up...

Section Leader: Flutes!! Shut up or this flute is going up places you probably don't want it to!!

formermarcher
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by formermarcher » Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:21 pm

Just after a quick glance at this post, I need to ask you one question:

Are you doing all these things for the right reasons? Are you doing it because you want to, or because you want recognition?

Now I think I know where you are going to go with an answer to this, but I'll wait until you actually go there.
"It is your destiny to be the leader who uses this event to rally a city, a nation...a world"

"Its not what you do or what you say, but HOW you do it that matters the most"

UC: Riverside, Class Of 2007

Yellow Flute-tee

Post by Yellow Flute-tee » Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:29 pm

This post looks like some lowly leadership position person looking for some attention and recognition, and I'm afraid I'm sinking to that level.

But when it comes to doing it for the right reasons, I know that I am. I love band like crazy, but while I do enjoy doing this for the band and making the process a lot smoother for my director, it's hard when even he doesn't know what I'm doing.

Didn't realize how stupid what I'm writing looks like until I read back. I guess the only thing going on right now is slight (o_o) bitterness for my senior section leader for leaving without saying a single word to me.
When you know you should shut up...

Section Leader: Flutes!! Shut up or this flute is going up places you probably don't want it to!!

formermarcher
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by formermarcher » Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:38 pm

Here's what...instead of being self-degrading or having people repeat the same things, why don't you send me an IM via AIM and we can chat about this in real time. My SN can be found right underneath my posts.
"It is your destiny to be the leader who uses this event to rally a city, a nation...a world"

"Its not what you do or what you say, but HOW you do it that matters the most"

UC: Riverside, Class Of 2007

AzhlackDMPiccolo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by AzhlackDMPiccolo » Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:05 pm

the point of beeing in a band is to make the band better.. it's not a selfish thing where u NEED recognition. that's a bad thing.. ur doing it for yourselfa nd tha tis not good... it's frustrating.. but if u do it for the band you woudlnt really care.. trust me... it's better doing it for teh gbnad.. i've been through it... selfishness gets you no where and it doesnt make band fun for you... if u let it go u'll have fun and enjoy the time. just know that u did it.. and the band will be better... people know it in their hearts.. thye dont need to recognize u
Eyes with pride!

"Ability may get you to the top but it takes character to keep you there."
-John Wooden

Pi=3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105...

VM Trumpet
Rookie
Rookie

Post by VM Trumpet » Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:29 pm

If you have attended any of the CLA Leadership Academy workshops (if you haven't, it's a must for all those truly interested in leadership), then you would recognize this quote by Mr. Kuhns:

"Done correctly, peer leadership is the scummiest job on the planet."

Nobody said at the beginning that you would be rewarded for your efforts. Would it be nice if you did? Yes, but don't do it with that as your goal. Leadership is a scummy job. Do janitors ever get recognized for picking up the trash?

Chew on it.

-VM Trumpet
Vista Murrieta Golden Alliance
Trumpet Section Leader: '03 - '07

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit."
-Aristotle

Ryan H. Turner
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by Ryan H. Turner » Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:33 pm

Not EXPECTING recognition makes the work you do that much sweeter. Welcome to life.

Want to not sound 'whiny', than stop worrying about this, and keep doing what you're doing because, as you say, you love band.

End of story.

Trumpet Man 05
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Trumpet Man 05 » Thu Nov 24, 2005 3:13 pm

Also, remember Dave's story from CLA about "Tim", the freshman who didn't think he was good enough to stay in band.

I always loved that little story, but maybe that's because my name is Tim, so it always meant a little more to me when I put myself in the situation. :)
~Psalm 150~

OAS AAS LLS

cup_o_noodles007
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cup_o_noodles007 » Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:57 pm

i agree with... well everyone.

the sweetest limelight is created by yourself. not others.

and even aside from that, everyone knows you did a great job. that kinda stuff is actually more obvious than not in this activity from a leadership/staff standpoint. so who cares if someone physically says it or not.

by the way, did anyone else catch that contradiction in my 2nd line? sweetest limelight... i just noticed that.

okay, the limeyest limelight... (im probably spelling it wrong anyways.)

piccmee

Post by piccmee » Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:33 pm

Last year I did many of the things you decribed and I also go no recongnigtion for it, in fact I got harassed. I stepped back and looked at the band, and they were better off for what I did and that was all I needed. Yeah, it is not fun not getting reconginzed for all the work you pour into the band, but sometimes it happens. There is some really great advise on this thread!

Jsaxm
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Jsaxm » Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:00 pm

Ryan H. Turner wrote:Not EXPECTING recognition makes the work you do that much sweeter. Welcome to life.

Want to not sound 'whiny', than stop worrying about this, and keep doing what you're doing because, as you say, you love band.

End of story.
I can't agree more Ryan. There will be many times in life that you bust your butt and pour your whole heart into something and no one will even think twice about thanking you or recognizing you for what you did. You just have to realize that getting some plaque or certificate to hang on the wall is not the real reward. Knowing that you made a difference in the group, an individual, or whatever you were working on is the true reward. When the time is right you will receive all the recognition you truely earned. It may not be for many years, and it may even be after you get out of band, but one day you will get your rewards.

Keep your head up and steer a straight course.
You just can't encourage stupidity

ChIckInPIt
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by ChIckInPIt » Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:34 pm

mmmm being appreciated for what you do......I was once like that. Wishing that for even once I'd be recognized for being the first in the room and last to check everything out. The truth is, some people can do a lot of work, stay in focus 24/7 and not be appreciated. I guess u just have to accept the fact that, u have to be content with what u do, u have to expect that ur doing something for the whole cause and yea it sucks that u might never be recognized for it, but u just have to accept it. Keep doing what ur doing and just be content with what you do, that's all u can really ask for and receive.

demosthenes
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by demosthenes » Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:34 pm

u know this may sound really cliche but true

recognintion will come when you earn it. maybe you THINK you have been doing all this stuff but in reality, ur doing average. think about it.
2005 PrImAcY oF nUmBeRs
2006 a DaY iN tHe LiFe

Ex Nihilo
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by Ex Nihilo » Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:10 pm

demosthenes wrote:u know this may sound really cliche but true

recognintion will come when you earn it. maybe you THINK you have been doing all this stuff but in reality, ur doing average. think about it.
true... albeit a year late...

tubatitan88
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by tubatitan88 » Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:53 pm

When you work really hard for any organization you might feel that you deserve some short of recognition, and if you work was really fruitful, then the recognition is there, you're just not looking for it. For example, a section leader might work their tail off training their section to play a certain piece very well, but never really get a thank you or good job. Then when performance time comes and the section plays very well, and you get a good score thats all the recognition you could want.
And on the Eigth day, God decided that people weren't a good enough image of himself. He then made a tuba.