most embarrasing event to DM's

A place for student leaders, drum majors, section leaders, student council members, etc.

Moderators: dmcoach, nopsbs

dmcoach
Support Staff
Support Staff

fun times

Post by dmcoach » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:18 pm

Speaking of legends... MCastan3da 8-) You're a tough cookie to beat, then again we're from different eras. I feel you about dropping at the end after having a great run. I think I did that at RBV two years ago, ceded 1st to Jen Tran.

On topic: Getting to Disney, changing to get ready to step-off, then realizing I didn't pack my white shorts to wear underneath my white uniform. I ended up marching down Main St. with ppl being able to see the navy blue boxers I had underneath my uniform. (for the lucky DM's that got to wear black pants, white uniforms are notorious for being a "little" see-through) :oops:

I might have more stories after this weekend, gonna be my first time stepping off at a Scottish Game, wearing a kilt & spinning malacca mace. Feb. 16th & 17th @ Queen Mary, approx 10am. See you guys there!
Bryan Ray
Drum Major Instructor, Parade Advisor
Too many to list

ZJH
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by ZJH » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:50 pm

Bryan Millares? Well, you won't be the only one. I'm a new competitor too! I'll see you this weekend, haha.
"To think idly is to think for the sake of doing nothing, or to think too much on what one has done and not on what there is to do." - San Manuel Bueno, mártir

dmcoach
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by dmcoach » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:30 pm

Sweet! What's your name? www.myspace.com/dmstuie Feel free to add that, and share the link with other DM's.

Looking forward to this weekend. I'll be concentrating on basics for that weekend since I don't have the arm strength and the experience with doing the Scottish style.

~bryan 8-)
Bryan Ray
Too many to list

ZJH
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by ZJH » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:56 pm

Hey, I'm Andrew Cheung. I was talking to Jason and Rocky last week and they were talking about you spinning Scottish, finally, haha. You won't miss me: I'll be the only other Asian DM. ;p

As for the MySpace, thanks for the invite, but I don't have one anymore. It just didn't really make sense to me to have one, so I just got rid of it.
"To think idly is to think for the sake of doing nothing, or to think too much on what one has done and not on what there is to do." - San Manuel Bueno, mártir

dmcoach
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by dmcoach » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:46 pm

No worries. I'm really looking forward to both days.

I'll check you out on YouTube tonight. :-p
Bryan Ray
Too many to list

ZJH
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by ZJH » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:33 am

I actually put almost all my videos on private, so if you wanna see them, feel free to add a friend request or something. ;p

phatbob2007
Rookie
Rookie

Post by phatbob2007 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:43 am

hmm i remember at the vallejo l pattern everything seemed to go wrong for me last year, the first 2 legs were all good, but then coming back i dropped 2 times, hit my shako off to 1 one side, did a roundhouse but hit my foot and almost fell, then i utterly missed the salute line............ ouch, somehow i think i got like an 88 or something that i didnt deserve, i didnt argue.

the most insane thing i have seen was actually my 7th grade year i dont remember where guh. anyways a military drum major with one of those super light super flex batons went to do his salute (mind you it was windy as a mother....yeah) so he does this massive toss and the baton just sorta sailed into the crowd opposite the judges stand )personally i think it would have been more amusing had it gone the other way)

(impression of judges) "ok nice diagonals there, and the posture is good as your approaching the stand and OMG *bang* AHHHHH! WTF ow, that hurt A BATON JUST HIT ME.....ok now your marching away from the stand and i can see the diagonals clearly" i want to hear a tape like that so bad it hurts. not that i think anyone deserves to get nailed by a flying baton. but c'mon we all would laugh.
Benicia High Panther Band c/o 07 ToR Parade 2005
07-Current SJDC section leader / principal horn
07-08 Lincoln High (Stockton) Staff
08-Current Inderkum Music Staff
08-Current Tokay DL Co-Caption Head/ Marching Instructor

MCastan3da

Post by MCastan3da » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:56 pm

lol... I know I used to always wear A white Uniform for the L oh no it was always dirty...haha =)~
Manuel Castaneda...

OCDM

Most Embarassing Moments

Post by OCDM » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:00 pm

I've not been on this page for months, and I run across this topic. I haven't thought about this stuff in years. Total hoot.

Personally, I was just fine in competitions, but had a very hard time with award ceremonies. The worst was at the El Primero BR in Santa Monica (before this review went the way of all flesh). For the awards ceremony, they called up all 5 or 6 winners, and then counted them off from the bottom up. You get a tad nervous standing there, waiting for your name to be called. Everybody is watching. Your name gets called. And then, well -- the mace got away from me while saluting for the stupid trophy. Total embarassment. That wasn't the first time, either. After that, I just saluted, and left it at that.

SRDM
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by SRDM » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:39 am

La Palma Days, 2003

I have partial seizures where I lose control of my left arm when i do something abrupt (like go from not moving to step-off), usually total focus has it under control, but at La Palma Days boy oh boy it did not go too well, I think I dropped my mace twice! :cry:

Arcadia 2003

I felt the same thing going on as I did in La Palma so I just let myself do my salute routine early rather than drop, I think I got like 21/6...

Well, I had little control over these situations, but still embarassing ya...
Shamrock Regiment DM '02-'04

JFKDMinor

Re: most embarrasing event to DM's

Post by JFKDMinor » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:10 pm

Jfk assistant drum mmajor here

my most embarassing moment had to have beeen at the alvarado wdma drum major comp
during my halt routine i blew my first tweet for the mark time comand and going for my second tweet i blew the whistle out of my mouth, at the same time spit flew through the whistle and out of the spout on top. going to pick up the whistle off my chest my mace slanted about 8 in. down. I ended up finishng alright and winning second. (i actually would've won firsdt at teh comp but my biggest rival Paul espitia was at teh comp and scored about a 88 or something with me coming in at 86)

:jester: whata clutz
Benny Yamagata
Assistant Drum Major: John F. Kennedy High School
2nd Place Apprentice Mace

jfk-dm

Re: most embarrasing event to DM's

Post by jfk-dm » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:53 pm

James Dinwiddie Kenndy Drum major 08-10

my most embarrasing moment would have to be during my freshman year at the Peacock's state championship held at Loara high school.
it was my freshman year and my first year on the circuit let alone it was my third time performing i beleive.

every thing went according to plan in the beginning, opener, roll off, bot, left column, but when i got to the beginning of my counter marcfh routine i did a left round house and when the tip was traveling upwards it hit the back of my shako and smacked the brim to my noses, and from then till the end i finished off my L pattern blind literally, all i could see was about 2-3 feet in front of my feet lol, and because of this my chin was so high, to help try and increase my range of vision,

but for my 3 years ive been spinning so far this is the most embarrasing moment.

you can see this in action at

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JW8RiFqVd4

just watch for the hit in the counter march routine
James Dinwddie
Shamrock Regiment
Drum Major 08-10