Effects of being a drum major

A place for student leaders, drum majors, section leaders, student council members, etc.

Moderators: dmcoach, nopsbs

imlovinit

Effects of being a drum major

Post by imlovinit » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:43 am

Can spinning and conducting and beating time hurt the shoulders and wrists ( like ligament damage ) since the movements are mainly in the shoulders and wrists?

Mark Stone
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Effects of being a drum major

Post by Mark Stone » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:01 pm

I have never had a drum major suffer from permanent injury to my knowledge but we only do field. I would suggest ensuring proper technique.
Mark Stone, Ayala High School

dmcoach
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by dmcoach » Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:24 am

I've been active in the community for 20 years, and so far I don't see any medical issues.

Proper stretching before and after any physical activity, as well as maintaining good techniques, like Mr. Stone mentioned, will help.
Bryan Ray
Drum Major Instructor, Parade Advisor
Too many to list

razoreyes45k

Post by razoreyes45k » Sat Dec 26, 2015 2:13 pm

Nearly thirty years after I marched DM, I still find myself counting 6 paces before and after a designated line when I walk along a sidewalk. :oops:

Ryan H. Turner
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by Ryan H. Turner » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:08 am

I have not been up here in awhile so whoever asked this question may have stopped "listening". That being said I do believe to some extent that I did suffer some damage to my shoulders due to my crazy conducting back in the 80's with the Velvet Knights. But I probably could have prevented the wear and tear by warming up properly and being more judicious with my enthusiasm.

I suffered minor pulls and strains from mace spinning, specifically in my forearms from doing rifle tosses or hand rolls. I didn't understand back then the power of WARMING UP.....go figure.

JCabralBCHS
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by JCabralBCHS » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:40 am

I have heard stories where someone has cut their neck from parallel tossing because of the eagle crown was sharp. I have once gotten spasms in my thumb and soreness after spinning thumb rolls at a really fast speed and In middle school when I tried to be stiff while spinning I would like tighten my whole body and got really hurt because of it