Legendary Drum Majors

A place for student leaders, drum majors, section leaders, student council members, etc.

Moderators: dmcoach, nopsbs

Undertaker
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Undertaker » Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:42 am

ok here is my list of legendary DM's

Adrian Acosta Azusa High
Abel Acosta Azusa High
Kieth P. Arroyo High
Jeff C. Arroyo High
Jeff Wippal. Glendora High
Gabe McN. Arroyo High
Marty H. Arroyo High
Vince A. Gladstone High
Jana S. El Toro High
Lisa L. Montebello High
Anthony C. Montebello High
Brian G Ukiah High
Aaron F. Ukiah High
Chad H. Merced High
Isreal B. Merced High
James Qurion Buena Park High
Nathen Weland. Covina High
Monica G. Azusa High
Jason K. Los Alamitos High
Bob Swanick Newberry Park High
Gabriel R. Arroyo High
Joaquin H. Arroyo High
Paul hernandez Gladstone High
Brennan England Arcadia High
Bobbi England Claremont High
Mindy Cabral Thousand Oaks High
Robert Castanada Baldwin Park High
Jason Erhich Gladstone High
Holly Erhich Gladstone High
Jeremy McBee Valencia High
Steve B Foothill High
Tony Valascez Santa Ana High
Chris Kaloskwi Arcadia High
Bonnie Hog Upland High
Liz Balenger El Dorado High
Patrick Lee Gladstone High
Bad Boys of So Cal Forever

Death Waits for No One

"I might not dress like Satan but I am still down with the Devil"
"The Creatures of the night will devour your rotting soul"

I <3 Band
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by I <3 Band » Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:12 pm

I was very compelled to add the following people to the list, all who I consider legendary due to the contributions they have made into the activity with all their spectacular and creative routines.

Ms. Victoria Chen - One of the SLICKEST and SMOOTHEST spinners I have ever seen, her routines never cease to excite me. Her commands carry a great sense of confidence and authority that one would expect out of the commander of the Apache Marching Band.

Mr. Sherwin Wu - What amazing tricks! This performer certainly knows his trade. His COMPLETELY unpredictable transitions are just STUNNING! His upright posture carries with himself a very commanding and powerful presence to him.

Mr. Richard Jeng - Though he seemed to have disappeared from the L-Pattern scene last season (Where are you Richard?!), his performance always carried a sense of awe with it, with his MARVELOUSLY creative transitions and spins. One of the best routine constructors I have ever had the privilege to see

Mr. Alan Riley - 2005-2006 Drum Major of the Apache Marching Band. His execution is just STUNNING and FLAWLESS!

Mr. JC Chang - Carries a great sense of COMMAND in his presentation, and VERY creative in his carves.

I DEFINITELY look forward to seeing all of them this upcoming season. It's JUST around the corner!!!
Band Enthusiast

cup_o_noodles007
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cup_o_noodles007 » Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:40 am

Sherwin Wu will be amazing at conducting very shortly. I remember seeing him and talking to him before his first conducting performance at RBV. he looked a bit nervous, but he threw down one hell of a routine for it being his first time.

Victoria Chen as well impressed me. I didnt get to see much of their spinning this year, but id assume its a notch around the top if not the at the top.

And JC Chang... wow. though everyone possesses this, he exploits it greatly -- that drum major attitude. always positive, looking forward - great competitor, and an immaculate conductor.

i anticipate alot of good things to come from these 3 in the coming seasons.

Alan Riler - ehh... what about him? hahaha no, im just messing. aweosme. period. cant describe him any other way.

BariBigBird06
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by BariBigBird06 » Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:33 am

Honyin Chiu from RB should be on this list. She had a complete undefeated season this yr, earning 1st place in Military division everywhere they went.

Mt. Carmel Tournament of Bands

1st: Rancho Bernardo - 87.3

Mira Mesa Band Review
1st: Rancho Bernardo - N/A

Chula Vista Band Review
1st: Rancho Bernardo - 94.20

Arcadia Festival of Band
1st: Rancho Bernardo - 93.50
BiG BiRd
c/o 2006

phatbob2007
Rookie
Rookie

so cal dm?

Post by phatbob2007 » Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:56 pm

hi, i noticed that like 90% of these drum majors are from so cal, i have never been down there to see any of the l patterns, or street competitions, however, im sure their must be a couple nor cal drum majors that should be on that list, cant think of any as i dont pay attention to names, i have been spinning for 6 years, and will just now be entering the ncba l patter circuit, so i have been keeping to myself. what gives sothern california drum majors the edge over norther california? usa camp uses the same set of training technique and alot of the same people im sure for both regions, how is it that the best people are all from so cal? i understand the marching band thing, but spinning and the art of drum major is purely induvidual, its not like something is in the water down there right? no offense to any so cal dm's i know just being able to spinn anything take a great deal of practice hard work and dedication, being great takes something more

ZJH
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by ZJH » Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:32 pm

Dude, chill. It's just that most of what the people on these forums see is So Cal. Over half the forum is So Cal. So can you really expect them to list some if any Nor Cal DMs? Very unlikely. So, unless you have something to contribute to a possible list of legendary Nor Cal DMs, I'd suggest you just observe and not put words in anyone's mouth. Besides, most of the legendary Nor Cal DMs listed were from way back, like Rick Wilson, Kathleen Jones (I forgot her maiden name), and I also saw names from Ukiah, which was more than likely from before the time Rowland Nielson retired.

But Benicia's usually produced great drum majors, and Fairfield's DM this year, Drew Otto, is an amazing spinner. I mean, that guy spins super fast, has amazing precision and control, it's just crazy. I've also heard that Golden Valley produces great drum majors as well, but I've only seen the one from this year, and she was real good. In terms of recognition on these forums, it's just a matter of who sees who.
"To think idly is to think for the sake of doing nothing, or to think too much on what one has done and not on what there is to do." - San Manuel Bueno, mártir

phatbob2007
Rookie
Rookie

Post by phatbob2007 » Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:37 pm

i wasnt preaking out, i was just curiose, yeah iknow of drew, i knew him way back when he was drum major of sullivan middle school from fairfield, he was winning everything back then as well, he is for sure legendary, didnt get a chance to see golden valleys dm, but i saw the scores 96? something insane. another who i would think to be on a nor cal ist, though i doubt any one has heard of him, christian napizza? he was a pretty good spinned but for sure one of the greatest drum majors in terms of leadership, he was/is drum major at fresno state, i dont think he did l patterns though, just street. anyways, yeah, wasnt trying to spark another nor/so cal battle so dont think of it like that lol. c ya

cup_o_noodles007
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cup_o_noodles007 » Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:15 pm

your post came across as a bit hostile that nor cal dm's werent more noticably on the list. when i was competing, i cam close to going up there to compete. but unfortunatly, it wasnt possible for that to happen.

i understand his distress for not seeing his area recognized - we all work(ed) hard to be the best. and this is a list of the best. im curious as to other states. i havent heard of other states that have drum major competitions. id think theyd have them in texas... is there anyone from texas that would know?? is there anyone that knows if other states have them (aside from the scottish and british festivals that have them).?

ZJH
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by ZJH » Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:52 pm

Well, I read somewhere that California's one of the last states to still hold parade competitions, and L-Patterns are based on parade routines, so I dunno if any other states have them. Field conducting sounds plausible, but I don't know about Ls.
"To think idly is to think for the sake of doing nothing, or to think too much on what one has done and not on what there is to do." - San Manuel Bueno, mártir

Undertaker
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Undertaker » Sun Jan 01, 2006 2:27 am

Well guys my list is not based just on spinning and scores its also based on how the present themselve. I have said this before "just because your good doesnt mean you have to have the attitude to go with it". In my list there are 4 people from up north. The other reason my list has mostly southern cal is because these were the only people I have seen in so cal compititions.

I didn't take your comments as to be hastile. You were just expressing your opinion on my posting..

Pc
Bad Boys of So Cal Forever

Death Waits for No One

"I might not dress like Satan but I am still down with the Devil"
"The Creatures of the night will devour your rotting soul"

mytree003
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by mytree003 » Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:34 am

Legendary:
Function: adjective
1 : of, relating to, or characteristic of legend or a legend

Legend:
Function: noun
1 : a story coming down from the past; especially : one popularly regarded as historical although not verifiable
"I can do all things through Christ who strenghthens me." (Philippians 4:13)

cup_o_noodles007
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cup_o_noodles007 » Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:31 pm

oh. um. indeed?

if im not mistaken, competition season is starting up here shortly.

phatbob2007
Rookie
Rookie

Post by phatbob2007 » Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:56 pm

yes it is, i cant wait, although im probably going to get crushed cause 1. i havnt practiced in like 4 months, and 2 fairfields drum major rocks, and has practiced,

so really i need to come along way to meet the challenge, err i have no time.. winter drumline... musical pit band, honor bands ahhh!

ZJH
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by ZJH » Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:15 pm

Hey Robert, you're competing against Drew and Krislyn in Mace Masters?

cup_o_noodles007
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cup_o_noodles007 » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:12 pm

gotta make it happen. im interested to see who will be competing this year.

p.s. is there a competition schedule out yet?