Legendary Drum Majors

A place for student leaders, drum majors, section leaders, student council members, etc.

Moderators: dmcoach, nopsbs

Undertaker
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Undertaker » Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:03 am

well all stories that i have heard before about other drum majors. but to me its not the spinner that makes them legendary its the person behind the baton or mace. i have seen drum majors who were great spinners but when it came to there personallity they sucked.
Bad Boys of So Cal Forever

Death Waits for No One

"I might not dress like Satan but I am still down with the Devil"
"The Creatures of the night will devour your rotting soul"

uncheckedtrumpet
Veteran
Veteran

Post by uncheckedtrumpet » Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:52 am

Although the fact people talk about him probably means he was a good drum major outside of spinning. You'll never hear anyone speak of a great spinner but a crappy leader.
mt. carmel trumpet section :toot:

'04-'05 The Great Abyss
'05-'06 Music of David Holsinger
'06-'07 The Tempest (music of Samuel Barber)
'07-'08 Legend of the Fifth Sun (Music of Ginastera)

Undertaker
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Undertaker » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:45 am

that is not always true..there were a few drum majors about 10 to 12yrs ago that people use to think was awsome...cuz he was a good spinner. but his problem is that he thought he was better then everyone else. and had the attitude to prove it. not that im trying to say the drum major your talking about is not legndary. cuz i dont know him just expressing my opinion and stuff ive seen over the past 17yrs

Death Waits for No One

uncheckedtrumpet
Veteran
Veteran

Post by uncheckedtrumpet » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:49 am

I've heard nothing but good things about Jeremy Harris. Congratulations to RB for holding the Arcadia Military baton trophy for who knows how long :shock:
mt. carmel trumpet section :toot:

'04-'05 The Great Abyss
'05-'06 Music of David Holsinger
'06-'07 The Tempest (music of Samuel Barber)
'07-'08 Legend of the Fifth Sun (Music of Ginastera)

Undertaker
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Undertaker » Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:35 am

like i said just expressing my opinion on the issue

Death Waits for No One

mightyhorn
Veteran
Veteran

Post by mightyhorn » Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:08 pm

Hey Ryan-
I remember seeing Robert when they came up to the Cupertino Tourniment of Bands. I needed a defribulator after seeing him.
mightyhorn

xOldDMx

Post by xOldDMx » Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:54 pm

Undertaker wrote:thats tru chad H was a legeandary dm he was a bad boy also
although he was bad (as in pretty darn good, was a great conductor for the Freelancers as well), dont think he was ever a "bad boy of southern california"though, if i remeber correctly the whole "bad boy" thing was started by the Acosta's (Able and Adrian from Azusa) back around the end of the 80's, they even included the first "bad girl" Jana Shipley. I do think the DMs started up the bad bf no. cal, but my memory has faded a bit, too many hits to the head with a mace i suppose

xOldDMx

Post by xOldDMx » Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:00 pm

Undertaker wrote:So BbConcert if being able to teach someone is what makes a person a legend then i guess Paul Hernandez could be called a legend.

He was ok on the L but he was a better teacher.
He tought Renee Soliz, Rocky Erhich, Jason Erhich, Holly Erhich, Patrick Lee,
And also helped Drum Majors Like Mindy Cabral, Chris Kalowski

All these poeple were great drum majors both on and off the L

PC
Hmmmm, that's funny, I remember someone else teaching Miss Cabral how to be "legendary", along with a couple other notable DMs from Thousand Oaks like Joy Berry & Robbie McCallum

xOldDMx

Post by xOldDMx » Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:20 pm

Undertaker wrote:that is not always true..there were a few drum majors about 10 to 12yrs ago that people use to think was awsome...cuz he was a good spinner. but his problem is that he thought he was better then everyone else. and had the attitude to prove it. not that im trying to say the drum major your talking about is not legndary. cuz i dont know him just expressing my opinion and stuff ive seen over the past 17yrs

couldn't agree with you more, sounds like we were around at the same time. I remember when I was in my second year of competing and seeing a certain DM from up North that did some pretty amazing things at the time, but was extremely disappointed to see how much of a poor sport he was and how bad his attitude was if things at a comp didn’t go his way...

xOldDMx

Post by xOldDMx » Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:26 pm

I'd like to add a couple more to the list...

Jeff Whippo - Glendora, he's probably why there's a time limit on the L, I swear, it seemed like it took him 10 min to complete..

Nathan Whelandt?? - West Covina, he wasnt just a great performer, but a good guy as well

Another great guy, was the DM from Ukiah, cant remember his name though, but a nice guy and a smooth competitor

Abel11673
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Abel11673 » Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:36 am

xOldDMx:
although he was bad (as in pretty darn good, was a great conductor for the Freelancers as well), dont think he was ever a "bad boy of southern california"though, if i remeber correctly the whole "bad boy" thing was started by the Acosta's (Able and Adrian from Azusa) back around the end of the 80's, they even included the first "bad girl" Jana Shipley. I do think the DMs started up the bad bf no. cal, but my memory has faded a bit, too many hits to the head with a mace i suppose
Close, the Bad Boys was all Adrians' idea. The following year, 1990 I think, is when the Bad Boys of No. Cal was introduced by Adrian.

xOldDMx:
Another great guy, was the DM from Ukiah, cant remember his name though, but a nice guy and a smooth competitor.
I remember 2 DMs from Ukiah, one was Aaron Ford and the other was Brian Gordon. Both good people. We saw them both at most, if not all, of the northern and southern competitions we went to.

Hoped that clarified some things. BTW, my name is spelled "Abel" not "Able". :lol: a small pet peeve of mine.

Ryan H. Turner
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by Ryan H. Turner » Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:33 pm

Jeeeeeeeeez...Someone ACTUALLY remembers Robert Suh!?!?!

Yowza...

xOldDMx

Post by xOldDMx » Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:40 am

Abel11673 wrote:Hoped that clarified some things. BTW, my name is spelled "Abel" not "Able". :lol: a small pet peeve of mine.

Thanks Abel, sorry about that, like I said, it's been a while...you wouldn't happen to know what came of Nathan, I came into the whole drum major curcuit thing back in 88 and all you guys were so considerate and made everyone feel like a part of your "family" and I always appreciated the help/advice your brother gave...

-A former "Bad Boy" (i still have my sweatshirt)

Undertaker
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Undertaker » Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:12 am

lol abel and his pet peeve.

Death Waits for No One

San benito high trombone
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by San benito high trombone » Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:41 am

Going back to one of the earlier posts

Dr. Zuniga is a very good drum major.
Being his student i would say he has a great personality and great leadership.
I have only seen small demonstrations of what he can do and even those blew me away. 8-)
"A band is only as good as it's next performance." James R. Zuniga