Starting on the left or right of the band.

A place for student leaders, drum majors, section leaders, student council members, etc.

Moderators: dmcoach, nopsbs

JCabralBCHS
New Recruit
New Recruit

Starting on the left or right of the band.

Post by JCabralBCHS » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:22 am

I have a question regarding drum majors starting on the side of the band for their opening routine. Drum majors like Merced,Golden valley and Irvington do that. They call the band to attention on the sides closest to the sidewalk and then during the roll of they march to the middle. Are SCSBOA drum majors allowed to that in competition or is it only NCBA drum majors? What is the whole purpose?

https://youtu.be/Dyafu2nHv-k

https://youtu.be/QVS6XDm09M0

MasterT
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Starting on the left or right of the band.

Post by MasterT » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:42 pm

It's a good question. I'll try to take a crack at your question.

Definitely a Northern California "thing". I believe you will never see Southern Cal drum majors do that as it is not traditional and their parade philosophy is all about maintaining formation...ESPECIALLY the drum major.

That said, because of the more creative approach to the street/parade program in Northern California, drum majors can do things like start on the left/right file to start the band.

I don't think there is conclusive evidence that indicates that drum majors that start on the left/right file score better than those who do not, but it does provide a little more variety.

I have also heard from a former instructor of mine (and a judge) that sometimes when DMs start that way, they have an easier time seeing them and their starting routine from the reviewing stand.

It's mostly a design choice...it can set you apart from the rest of the competitors by distinguishing yourself in that way..
But remember - if you don't stick to the basics (e.g., leading with confidence, stay in step, salute, etc.), then starting this way won't matter.
Once a drum major, always a drum major.

dmcoach
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by dmcoach » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:43 pm

JCabralBCHS, are you a SoCal DM, or a NorCal DM?
Bryan Ray
Drum Major Instructor, Parade Advisor
Too many to list

dmcoach
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by dmcoach » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:45 pm

The DM style in SoCal is more in line with traditional pass and review standards.
Bryan Ray
Too many to list

JCabralBCHS
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by JCabralBCHS » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:04 pm

I am an NCBA drum major but I just wanted to know for my own knowledge and because I thought you would get points off if you did that in SoCal

dmcoach
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by dmcoach » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:29 pm

Not necessarily points off. It does open the door for the Showmanship and DM judges to possibly write comments about visibility.

Having the DM front and center actually makes it easier for the judges to see them since they are showcased at the beginning of the performance.

https://youtu.be/gjz8w-R1WmY

I’ve known about the style differences between NCBA and SCSBOA drum majors. I just compared your video of the Golden Valley DM, and my video of the Beckman DM. It seems that the NCBA style still focus more on tricks, whereas SCSBOA drum majors emphasize on posture and control.
Bryan Ray
Too many to list

JCabralBCHS
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by JCabralBCHS » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:53 pm

Thank you for your reply, I was honestly very confused since kindergarten when I saw my own high school for the first time and golden valley in a parade start from the side of the files.