Drum Major L- Pattern

A place for student leaders, drum majors, section leaders, student council members, etc.

Moderators: dmcoach, nopsbs

drumgeek76

Drum Major L- Pattern

Post by drumgeek76 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:07 pm

I need help constructing a routine for the L-Pattern. Can I get any tips or any advice that can help? Thank you.

Dm614
New Recruit
New Recruit

Re: Drum Major L- Pattern

Post by Dm614 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:19 am

Practice in front of a window where you can see your reflection. If you do this, you can see if you are executing the moves precisely the way you want to (Clear angles, good free hand movements, minimum body movement, etc...).

When you are performing for a judge, remember that you want to show off your strength and not your weakness! This may sound obvious, but I've seen many drum majors who incorporate advanced moves they haven't mastered yet in their routines. I don't know how experienced you are, but start constructing your routine with the moves you are comfortable with. Execution counts more than routine construction in both NCBA and WDMA. Be creative if you can but execution is much more important!

What equipment are you competing on in which circuit??

drumgeek76

Post by drumgeek76 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:20 pm

The circuit that I will be competing in is the WDMA and the equipment I will use is the mace.

MasterT
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MasterT » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:30 pm

This could be a start:
http://www.onlinedrummajor.com/info_center.html

As Dm614 said, execution >> routine construction. Show off your strengths and do them cleanly.

WDMA used to have a restricted music list, but I can't seem to find that now. Contact them for more information...because musical selection can affect elements of your routine.
Once a drum major, always a drum major.

Oldmaceguy
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Oldmaceguy » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:40 pm

If you're competing in WDMA, you might want to spend some time with a WDMA instructor. They are really good at helping to create routines that fit individual styles.
drumgeek76 wrote:I need help constructing a routine for the L-Pattern. Can I get any tips or any advice that can help? Thank you.

cup_o_noodles007
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cup_o_noodles007 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:34 pm

WDMA no longer has a restricted music list, other than choosing non-offensive music. (Really, its a no brainer.)

As well, if you go to http://www.worlddrummajor.org/circuit/r ... gulations/ it lists what exactly they look for in an L pattern.

Go to YouTube and type in "WDMA Mace Championships." that should give you an idea of the performances and what goes in to them -- both from the world class and from the novice class.
--------------

As far as advice goes, JUST-KEEP-PRACTICING. Do not be flashy in the novice class division -- there is no need to be. As well as focusing on spinning cleanly, make sure to ALWAYS STAY IN STEP. Your General Effect will suffer no matter what type of awesome move you do, or even how good your basics are, if you are out of step.

I cant stress that enough. The most common mistake for new drum majors to make isnt drops or slips, or even sloppy hand work. its getting out of step.

Also, check out field conducting! It's available also. And great to do to balance our your talents!

Brosler

Post by Brosler » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:29 pm

My advice is to know your routine. When I first started I thought I could just wing it, but honestly try and get one planned out. Paper and pen can help!

As for content, judges are smarter at judging you than onlookers. Sure, that move might look really cool, but is it executed cleanly and does it mess you up? Does it even really fit to what your music is doing?

The five basic spins are a life saver, and sometimes even putting in a freehand can spice up a routine.
Music is always a healer. Music has never let me down. I know it’s my religion. There’s the idea that you can’t truly know happiness until you know sadness, so how can you heal yourself unless you’ve hurt yourself - Brendon Urie

stephennewcomb

Post by stephennewcomb » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:49 pm

I got into L-pattern through watching old NCBA and WDMA videos and teaching myself through trial and error. If you don't have access to an experienced instructor I would highly recommend going back and watching WDMA L-pattern videos from 2012-2013 to see what they do. Also go through the rule sheet thoroughly so you aren't caught by surprise on anything.