The Lid

A place for student leaders, drum majors, section leaders, student council members, etc.

Moderators: dmcoach, nopsbs

formermarcher
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

The Lid

Post by formermarcher » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:37 pm

If you've read the personality overview, or any of the other stickies, this was meant to be the next discussion. Better late than never :lol:

Remember, you do not need to hold a title to be considered a leader. Anyone can be a leader! Leadership is always an action, not a title. A title simply points out your area of responsibility, but doesn't turn someone into a leader.

The Lid
In everything that we do, there is always a limiting factor. Sometimes we're too tired, sometimes we don't have the right resources, sometimes we just aren't motivated. These things are called caps/lids. In other words, think of them as a personal barriers.

In the case of leadership, The Lid is a concept that says that a persons effectiveness in accomplishing anything is determined by their Success Dedication (how much effort you put into being successful) and their Leadership Ability. So your dedication and ability will tell you how far you can go. The question becomes then how do you remove that lid? What personal challenges are preventing you from becoming a better leader?

This falls in to the category of self reflection. Some of the most productive people are people who know how to fairly judge themselves to determine where they can improve.

Post things you believe are your limiting factors. If you have a plan on how to overcome that Lid, include that as well. Or if you have overcome a lid in the past, explain that too! I'm hoping to spark conversation here.
"It is your destiny to be the leader who uses this event to rally a city, a nation...a world"

"Its not what you do or what you say, but HOW you do it that matters the most"

UC: Riverside, Class Of 2007

formermarcher
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Re: The Lid

Post by formermarcher » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:44 pm

To help get discussion started, I'm going to post some of my lids. I'd like someone, anyone, to pick one of those and explain what it means and how it might limit my ability to be a leader. If you have a suggestion to overcome that lid, feel free to post it.

Once you've commented, leave one of your own lids!

1. Hasty Judgement

2. Over-Confident

3. Defensive
"It is your destiny to be the leader who uses this event to rally a city, a nation...a world"

"Its not what you do or what you say, but HOW you do it that matters the most"

UC: Riverside, Class Of 2007

agentsquishypenguin
New Recruit
New Recruit

Re: The Lid

Post by agentsquishypenguin » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:10 am

I will chose defensive. When a leader becomes defensive, it gives negative attention to that person. if you really want to have someone improve, it is better to be more positive when helping.

my lid is communication with adults. I can communicate perfectly fine with my peers, but if I am asking something from an adult, i feel like i am nagging.
Sacramento State Color Guard Co-Captain 2012/2013, 2013/2014, 2014/2015
Oregon Crusaders Drum and Bugle Corps 2011, 2014
Sherman E. Burroughs High School Color Guard Captain & Band Council 2009/2010, 2010/2011, 2011/2012