Faltering Leadership

A place for student leaders, drum majors, section leaders, student council members, etc.

Moderators: dmcoach, nopsbs

agentsquishypenguin
New Recruit
New Recruit

Faltering Leadership

Post by agentsquishypenguin » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:30 pm

Next year, there will only be three new leaders in my band. one still has not been decided, and the other two cause some problems in our band. How can I keep the band strong as well as keep the leaders connected and strong?
Sacramento State Color Guard Co-Captain 2012/2013, 2013/2014, 2014/2015
Oregon Crusaders Drum and Bugle Corps 2011, 2014
Sherman E. Burroughs High School Color Guard Captain & Band Council 2009/2010, 2010/2011, 2011/2012

DG95
New Recruit
New Recruit

Re: Faltering Leadership

Post by DG95 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:22 pm

Well I believe you should get all three leaders to talk about the goals for the band next year. Have them make a list of how the three leaders can work together in order to make sure the goals are completed. If they have problems working together, you should really stress to them the importance of their cooperation and how it will affect the band. How well the band does is really the only thing that matters in the end, not their egos. It also helps if you are in a leadership position or close to the three leaders, otherwise it just seems like you're budding in. If the leaders are strong, the band will be strong.

formermarcher
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by formermarcher » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:19 pm

agentsquishypenguin wrote:Next year, there will only be three new leaders in my band. one still has not been decided, and the other two cause some problems in our band. How can I keep the band strong as well as keep the leaders connected and strong?
Could you give us some more detail about the situation here? When you see 3 new leaders, does that mean there are leaders already in place?

Also, what is your current role in your band? Often times the approach to a solution is dependent on what you can already do.
"It is your destiny to be the leader who uses this event to rally a city, a nation...a world"

"Its not what you do or what you say, but HOW you do it that matters the most"

UC: Riverside, Class Of 2007

agentsquishypenguin
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by agentsquishypenguin » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:00 pm

We have 4 returning leaders, including myself. I am color guard captain and a member of the band council The three new leaders have had little to no experience as a leader and are afraid to ask questions. I know that I am kind of an outsider to the band itself, but during marching season we are all one unit.
Sacramento State Color Guard Co-Captain 2012/2013, 2013/2014, 2014/2015
Oregon Crusaders Drum and Bugle Corps 2011, 2014
Sherman E. Burroughs High School Color Guard Captain & Band Council 2009/2010, 2010/2011, 2011/2012

formermarcher
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by formermarcher » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:15 pm

agentsquishypenguin wrote:We have 4 returning leaders, including myself. I am color guard captain and a member of the band council The three new leaders have had little to no experience as a leader and are afraid to ask questions. I know that I am kind of an outsider to the band itself, but during marching season we are all one unit.
Thanks for the information :)

You are absolutely right that during the marching season you are all one unit. Even though each person has their own way of doing things and their own personality, at the end of the day the unit performs as one.

I think the important thing to remember is that in leadership, no one starts off with all the skills. Leadership is a life long skill that we always improve on as we get older. Some people might have the raw abilities, the mold so to speak, that can be shaped into great leadership. I think this is the case with the 3 new leaders. It sounds like they are getting their first shot into leadership, and that they already have the various skills and abilities they will need. They just need to be molded and put together.

They're going to be nervous! Who wouldn't be? Being a leader is always an intimidating thing, especially the first time. When people are nervous, they don't want to ask questions or do anything out of the ordinary. What you and your fellow leaders might want to consider are ways to make those people feel like they're part of the team, and that its okay to ask questions. That's not to say you go through and tell them how to be a leader, or how to do their job...they need to grow into whatever role they have. You can be there for the, however, and let them know you are there for them.

Remember, they're just starting out. Think back to how it was when you first became a leader. What kind of experience can you share with them? What really helped you grow into who you are today? Those kind of stories are safe, and are great icebreakers.

At the end f the day, people need time. No one can become a leader overnight; leadership is a life long process. Be there for them, but don't force yourself upon them either!

You'll do great, and so will they!
"It is your destiny to be the leader who uses this event to rally a city, a nation...a world"

"Its not what you do or what you say, but HOW you do it that matters the most"

UC: Riverside, Class Of 2007