Keeping your Baton cords working.

A place for student leaders, drum majors, section leaders, student council members, etc.

Moderators: dmcoach, nopsbs

DMPwer
New Recruit
New Recruit

Keeping your Baton cords working.

Post by DMPwer » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:52 pm

Hey, I had a general question to all you Drum Majors who use Batons with one cord, or two on them! I own 2 exellon Military Drum Major batons and one I have been using since 08 and the cords have basically worn out and are at the breaking point. I am going to send it in to get fresh new ones, but does anyone have any tips in keeping your baton cord relatively in good order for a long time?

I have a hunch that they wear and tear due to continual use and exposer to the elements, but can it be also that some Drum majors (like me) use A LOT of finger rolling or spinning in-between the fingers instead of the hand?

Opinions are appreciated :)
Umayr Sufi
Granada H.S Asst. Drum Major 2008-2010
Drum Major Instructor
http://www.umayrsufi.com

dmcoach
Support Staff
Support Staff

Re: Keeping your Baton cords working.

Post by dmcoach » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:28 pm

DMPwer wrote:Hey, I had a general question to all you Drum Majors who use Batons with one cord, or two on them! I own 2 exellon Military Drum Major batons and one I have been using since 08 and the cords have basically worn out and are at the breaking point. I am going to send it in to get fresh new ones, but does anyone have any tips in keeping your baton cord relatively in good order for a long time?

I have a hunch that they wear and tear due to continual use and exposer to the elements, but can it be also that some Drum majors (like me) use A LOT of finger rolling or spinning in-between the fingers instead of the hand?

Avoid water & moisture. They tend to get rough and have that dried-out look and feel to them when that happens. Granted, that happens after some time.
Bryan Ray
Drum Major Instructor, Parade Advisor
Too many to list

mikekimchi
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by mikekimchi » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:22 am

Cords will all eventually end up wearing down, like you said due to continual use, especially for more aggressive spinners. The best thing to do is learn how to tie the cords yourself (this may help if you can understand my jargon... http://worldofpageantry.com/forums/view ... =1&t=15329), and keep two sets- one for practice and one for performances.
Band geek por vida

KingMattIV
Rookie
Rookie

Post by KingMattIV » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:58 pm

DMPwer wrote:Hey, I had a general question to all you Drum Majors who use Batons with one cord, or two on them! I own 2 exellon Military Drum Major batons and one I have been using since 08 and the cords have basically worn out and are at the breaking point. I am going to send it in to get fresh new ones, but does anyone have any tips in keeping your baton cord relatively in good order for a long time?

Take care of your equipment. If you think its not good for the cords, its probably not. :lol:
Mt. Carmel High School Marching Sundevils- 2004-2008
UC Los Angeles "The Solid Gold Sound"- 2008-2010
Alternative Percussion 2008-2010
Pacific Crest Drum and Bugle Corps 2009-2010
2009 DCI Trombone I and E Champion