Anything I should know about as a Drum Major try out?

A place for student leaders, drum majors, section leaders, student council members, etc.

Moderators: dmcoach, nopsbs

eugorkrad12

Anything I should know about as a Drum Major try out?

Post by eugorkrad12 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:23 am

I'm an 8th grader that knows almost nothing about drum majors, besides them being the leaders, and twirling batons, and beating time. So is there anything I should know about being a DM, penalties? or tips? Should I start practicing with gloves so I get used to them? I'm doing DM L patterns this year as I want to try out being a Senior DM for DBHS. I currently attend AIS, so any tips for me? Any help is appreciated.
Trombonist

dmcoach
Support Staff
Support Staff

Re: Anything I should know about as a Drum Major try out?

Post by dmcoach » Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:21 am

eugorkrad12 wrote:I'm an 8th grader that knows almost nothing about drum majors, besides them being the leaders, and twirling batons, and beating time. So is there anything I should know about being a DM, penalties? or tips? Should I start practicing with gloves so I get used to them? I'm doing DM L patterns this year as I want to try out being a Senior DM for DBHS. I currently attend AIS, so any tips for me? Any help is appreciated.

1. It's "spinning" batons, not twirling

2. I thought AIS feeds into Rowland, not Diamond Bar. Unless, you live close enough to their district

3. Didn't you take notes during the DM class you attended today? :shock: Oh wait, you were to busy interrupting and making smart remarks :lshic:

Here's your tips... P & C, bring gloves if you'd like you use them, explanation for penalties will be discussed in the next few lessons, and please copy the notes from one of the other DM's.

We'll have a little chat at our next meeting on Monday :shades:

eugorkrad12

Post by eugorkrad12 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:38 pm

dmcoach wrote:
eugorkrad12 wrote:I'm an 8th grader that knows almost nothing about drum majors, besides them being the leaders, and twirling batons, and beating time. So is there anything I should know about being a DM, penalties? or tips? Should I start practicing with gloves so I get used to them? I'm doing DM L patterns this year as I want to try out being a Senior DM for DBHS. I currently attend AIS, so any tips for me? Any help is appreciated.

1. It's "spinning" batons, not twirling

2. I thought AIS feeds into Rowland, not Diamond Bar. Unless, you live close enough to their district

3. Didn't you take notes during the DM class you attended today? :shock: Oh wait, you were to busy interrupting and making smart remarks :lshic:

Here's your tips... P & C, bring gloves if you'd like you use them, explanation for penalties will be discussed in the next few lessons, and please copy the notes from one of the other DM's.

We'll have a little chat at our next meeting on Monday :shades:
Haha, Bryan...main reason why I'm doing this is because I want to be the DM for DBHS..I always wanted to be a leader...and yes, I'll take notes, and try not to make such remarks
Trombonist

anthony
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by anthony » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:21 pm

yeah you can go on you tube and they have basic tutorial as a sort of beginner thats where i started off, also show your band teacher that you can handel being in such a strong part of the band, not neccisarly kissing up but like showing him/her you have what it takes also work hard and be the best roll model you can
a great man once told me if you are not paracticing her or she is, and they will win

Oldmaceguy
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Oldmaceguy » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:27 pm

Here's a great tip, Kiddo; listen to dmcoach! If he gives me a suggestion or offers advice, I'll hang on his every word and I was doing this before he was born.