Color Guard as a section

A place for student leaders, drum majors, section leaders, student council members, etc.

Moderators: dmcoach, nopsbs

agentsquishypenguin
New Recruit
New Recruit

Color Guard as a section

Post by agentsquishypenguin » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:39 pm

My band isn't big about letting the color guard really be involved until this year. I, as color guard captain, took it upon myself to get involved in the band political system. I am a band council member now, because i made an effort to get involved. Unfortuntely, the band wasn't so well in reponse to this, giving my co-captain grief about not being in band council. Now, next year i want guard as an official section in the band, where there is no coach (our current coach is moving in march) and i would be the leader (seeing as i will still be captain then). but i dont know if my band director will go for this. should i try and convince him to give it a chance?
Sacramento State Color Guard Co-Captain 2012/2013, 2013/2014, 2014/2015
Oregon Crusaders Drum and Bugle Corps 2011, 2014
Sherman E. Burroughs High School Color Guard Captain & Band Council 2009/2010, 2010/2011, 2011/2012

s3si1u
New Recruit
New Recruit

Re: Color Guard as a section

Post by s3si1u » Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:24 pm

agentsquishypenguin wrote:My band isn't big about letting the color guard really be involved until this year. I, as color guard captain, took it upon myself to get involved in the band political system. I am a band council member now, because i made an effort to get involved. Unfortuntely, the band wasn't so well in reponse to this, giving my co-captain grief about not being in band council. Now, next year i want guard as an official section in the band, where there is no coach (our current coach is moving in march) and i would be the leader (seeing as i will still be captain then). but i dont know if my band director will go for this. should i try and convince him to give it a chance?
Guard is an integral part of the band...I don't see why you shouldn't be allowed to cooperate in the band's decisions and such. It's perfectly allowed at my school...where if you're a section leader/captain, you're automatically in band council. I think the guard is just as important as anyone else, but in my experiences, it seems like it's the guard that likes to set themselves apart from the rest of the ensemble..