student motivation

A place for student leaders, drum majors, section leaders, student council members, etc.

Moderators: dmcoach, nopsbs

thunderdrmz
Rookie
Rookie

student motivation

Post by thunderdrmz » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:53 pm

I have a very talented group, but they are young. (middle school drumline) They are doing VERY well and I'm trying to get them to understand that they have the potential for something great. I could use a few ideas that not just motivate but gets the idea across that pursuing excellence is worth the effort. Any suggestions?
Rhythm is my business, rhythm is what I sell

D.M. #57
New Recruit
New Recruit

Re: student motivation

Post by D.M. #57 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:25 pm

I have a similar situation with my drumline. However I have the luxury of going to a H.S. with lots of history, tradition, and pride. Since they are only in middle school, have you tried showing them any other drumlines? Maybe the drumline at the local H.S. Or maybe a drumline from a university or drum corp. Many of these drumlines are amazing to watch and are very talented. Perhaps if they see just what is capable, they will strive to better themselves. Also (idea 2), how about letting them compete against themselves. A friendly competition is always a good way to boost someone's motivation.
D.M. #57

thunderdrmz
Rookie
Rookie

Re: student motivation

Post by thunderdrmz » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:50 am

Yes, I show them WGI and DCI videos, tell them to check out youtube clips and such.

Trying to teach or express "desire" is tough at this age. Of course, they want to be good and work vey hard. It is just one of those years where everything could line up and I want to do everything I can to help them achieve their full potential.
Rhythm is my business, rhythm is what I sell