Mace question

A place for student leaders, drum majors, section leaders, student council members, etc.

Moderators: dmcoach, nopsbs

EGHS_DM

Mace question

Post by EGHS_DM » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:58 pm

I have a quick question, I was wondering if I can spin a black mace with a silver dome if I have an all black uniform. I plan on putting white tape on it, but I don't know if it will be easily visible for the judge to see. Thanks.

ZJH
Section Leader
Section Leader

Re: Mace question

Post by ZJH » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:04 pm

Elk Grove is getting a new DM uniform? Nice.

Back to the question: it really depends on the amount of white tape you put on it. The kind of "unwritten rule" of DMing is that white maces tend to give off the illusion that they're being spun faster than that of other colors. So with the darker background of a black uniform, it would show up very well. As for the black mace, it probably won't be quite as visible, especially from the judges' stand.
"To think idly is to think for the sake of doing nothing, or to think too much on what one has done and not on what there is to do." - San Manuel Bueno, mártir

EGHS_DM

Post by EGHS_DM » Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:28 pm

Thanks for responding. I am the first drum major from Elk Grove to actually buy a new uniform, so I probably shouldn't use a black mace then, because I really do love the black maces with the chrome domes. Should I just buy a new uniform, because I already bought the mace.

ZJH
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by ZJH » Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:02 pm

I don't really see what's wrong with the uniform you have now, but that's entirely your decision.
"To think idly is to think for the sake of doing nothing, or to think too much on what one has done and not on what there is to do." - San Manuel Bueno, mártir

thunderboy102

Post by thunderboy102 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:16 pm

Do what you must to make the mace seem faster and more visable Weather it be white tape- all or spiraled- or a new uniform, its up to you but thats my advise

vintagecrusher
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by vintagecrusher » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:34 pm

i agree with thunderboy102... it should be you choice on which color you choose. i think that, if you can spin it, then it shouldnt matter how flashy you look, but thats just me...

btw.... see you at rodriguez!!! hahaha

MalletQueen
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MalletQueen » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:45 pm

thunderboy102 wrote:Do what you must to make the mace seem faster and more visable Weather it be white tape- all or spiraled- or a new uniform, its up to you but thats my advise
Remember though, you can spin uber fast, but without spin consistency it means nothing. Better to go for spin consistency and get the points rather than see how fast you can make it go around and it look bad...and lose points.