military, military signal, or or mace?

A place for student leaders, drum majors, section leaders, student council members, etc.

Moderators: dmcoach, nopsbs

tokyo512
New Recruit
New Recruit

military, military signal, or or mace?

Post by tokyo512 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:17 pm

What do you guys prefer?
Can you name some advantages and disadvantages?
Kenneth Alcazar
Marching Don
Drum Major

ZJH
Section Leader
Section Leader

Re: military, military signal, or mace?

Post by ZJH » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:21 pm

I'm pretty sure this topic has been talked to death, but I haven't seen this thread in at least a year, so I'll bite.

I started out on mace, and I will always prefer to perform with a mace. I spin a Regimental Mace Company mace with a steel head, so it's very top-heavy, though not as much as the Premier maces. I just prefer the malacca cane maces over anything else due to the flexibility of the cane and the easier manipulation of the top-heaviness for tosses and various flourishes you don't always see on the street.

Military is fun for messing around with, haha. I spin my military somtimes (also made by RMC, which makes them a little more top-heavy) just for kicks, but it's just not really my cup of tea.
"To think idly is to think for the sake of doing nothing, or to think too much on what one has done and not on what there is to do." - San Manuel Bueno, mártir

dmcoach
Support Staff
Support Staff

Re: military, military signal, or or mace?

Post by dmcoach » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:17 pm

*slightly revised and updated 12/08/2009*

Please keep in mind that these are my opinions, and I respect everyone else's. This post isn't meant to degrade anyone's products, but to just show differences through experiences from using them.

Peacock Military Baton: (http://www.marchingworld.com)
A lot of drum majors start off with these.
Advantages :yeah: = inexpensive (approx $80), easy to spin, you can do a lot of one-handed tricks by your head (with lots of practice, palm spins & such). Two different sizes (38" & 41").
Disadvantages :td: = tends to dent easy, you have to ship to AZ for repairs, electrical tape is this baton's best friend.
Who uses these? Montebello, Riverside King, Tetzlaff, and a LOT of other schools.

Regimental Military Baton: (http://www.regimentalmaceco.com)
Different style of spinning for a new baton.
Advantages :yeah: = flashy looks. One size, 40", and costs $200. Similar style to the maces the same company makes. Very durable design, dome is protected from denting by the center plate it has. Very presentable and flashy. Flies as well as a mace when tossed.
Disadvantages :td: = top-heavy. The balance point is slightly shifted to the dome, making side & front palm spins difficult for short-armed spinners.
Who uses these? Alvarado Intermediate, Rancho Bernardo, Eastlake

Ken Krome Military Baton: (not in production)
Looks a lot like the Peacock Military Batons. I was told by a more senior person that these were the batons that was widely used in the 70's, and were the inspiration for the design of the Peacock Militaries which came after.
Advantages :yeah: = I have two of them, a 44" and a 38". The balance point is pretty much centered, and it weighs and feel more solid like the Peacock Militaries. Where the Peacock Military might feel like it's aluminum, these ones feel like steel. Really great for spinning fast, and it's highly predictable for pretty much all the tricks you attempt.
Disadvantages :td: = it's not being sold anymore, and it's really hard to find them :cry:
Who uses these? I can't think of anyone at the moment. They're not made anymore, and the few that I know are around are with former band directors, older drum majors from the era that they were popular from, and some older instructors.

Jemm Military Baton: (not in production)
Similar in size to the Peacock Signal Batons.
Advantages :yeah: = more balanced than the Peacock Signals. Great for wraps and tosses. Weight is less than the Peacock Signals. Very presentable.
Disadvantages :td: = it's not being sold anymore :cry: Aside from that, it has the same disadvantages as other larger military batons. Good luck finding one, they're highly sought after.
Who uses these? Arcadia's former DM Kyle Terry, Montebello City instructor Esteban DeLeon, and certain SCSBOA Adjudicators

Peacock Traditional Military Baton: (Brand new, kinda... http://www.marchingworld.com)
Based on the design that Tom Peacock used to spin back in the day. Website offers different sizes that start from 42" ($160), and it goes up from there. The Jemm Batons also resemble this design.
Advantages :yeah: = I haven't spun this version yet.
Disadvantages :td: = I haven't spun this version yet.
Who uses these? Let me ask around.

Peacock Signal Baton: (http://www.marchingworld.com)
Similar to the Jem and the Peacock Traditional, but with a Peacock Mace head.
Advantages :yeah: = very visible from far away. The added weight is great for doing tosses because it's less likely to shift in the air when the wind blows. Good for doing wraps. Website offers different sizes that start from 42" ($133)
Disadvantages :td: = the added weight can wear you out with a long performance. Doesn't look as flashy if spun slow, and it makes it look bulky.
Who uses these? I believe First Ave. MS and Dana MS uses these

Peacock American Mace: (http://www.marchingworld.com)
It's usually what everyone starts with when they choose to spin mace.
Advantages :yeah: = looks really sharp when spun fast. You can order it with either chains or cords. Very predictable when constructing new routines. Great for people spinning in any style of mace. Can be ordered with different colored shafts.
Disadvantages :td: = looks plain. Please use the Eagle topper for awards and not competitions because it can get snagged easily or injure you (my opinion, use the Ball topper for spinning). Maintain the chains if you get them and make sure they stay tight against the mace (fingers and gloves might get caught in them).
Who uses these? Kennedy, Ganesha, Kaiser, and a LOT of DM's that choose to spin mace.

Regimental Competitor Series Mace: (http://www.regimentalmaceco.com)
Made of malacca with your choice of three head designs in either aluminum or steel.
Advantages :yeah: = GORGEOUS & FLASHY, great for doing tosses, malacca cane feels great when transitioning from different planes and moves. Head design is similar to the company's military, and can withstand drops by having that center plate. Just like the Peacocks, you can custom order the length of the equipment. Top-heavy and flare design to the heads are great for DM's spinning in Scottish/ Irish/ British styles.
Disadvantages :td: = different style might not be for everyone. Malacca canes usually have different shapes to the shaft, and takes time to get used to how your particular mace would behave.
Who uses these? Beckman, John Glenn, Notre Dame, Glendora, Westview

There you have it, please don't take my opinions out of context, they're for informative purposes only. Different equipment match different spinners. If you're really curious about the differences, I'd HIGHLY RECOMMEND attending DM competitions this coming semester because you will meet other DM's that spin the different types of equipment I just listed.

:tup:
Last edited by dmcoach on Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:47 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Bryan Ray
Drum Major Instructor, Parade Advisor
Too many to list

ArturoHerrera
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by ArturoHerrera » Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:46 pm

Wow Wow awesome detailed explanations thanks for taking the time to do that it's veeewy interesting
Arturo Cesar Augusto Herrera Leon

Coach
International Drum Major Institute

Glendora High School:
Tartan Marching Band and Pageantry
Drum Major 2008-09

D.M. #57
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by D.M. #57 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:40 pm

Ok. I personally spin all of the mentioned above. I personally prefer my Jem. But after that the traditional 38' peacock military baton would be they way I go. If your more interested in mace, I would go with the new Regimental Maces. They are a bit more expensive, but they make tossing a breeze. :D
D.M. #57

Joyce M David
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Joyce M David » Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:49 pm

tokyo512 wrote:What do you guys prefer?
Kenny!!!!
From what I recall, didn't you spin a military. Or was it a peacock mace double corded?

My suggestion. It all depends on the school. Like for me, because we're a Irish school, I can't really choose to spin military all the sudden because it wouldn't match with the style of the school. But if your director allows you to choose between either of them. It depends on your preference too and what kind of moves you want to execute. Military has more of the technical spinning and stops. With mace to me its more of kind of the big stuff with flowiness [not a word but o well] to it. I can't do military signal because I'm just too darn short at 5'1 and plus its too heavy for me to spin cleanly and to also execute the moves I wish to put in. Don't get me wrong, there are some drum majors who have pulled off the military signal. But my one suggestion that I emphasize, personally for me, is that no matter which baton you choose. Double cording it may be somewhat of an obstacle because the cords definitely make a difference in spinning.

If you want to see the different feels of the batons. Maybe you should go to the WDMA drum major clinic this coming Saturday 1/17 @ Montebello. Then you can see since different drum majors who will have the different styles of batons.
Joyce Marie David
Notre Dame High School (Sherman Oaks)
Irish Knight Band
Drum Major '08-'09
International Drum Major Institute (IDMI) Drum Major Instructor
World Drum Major Association (WDMA) Clinician/Instructor

dmcoach
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by dmcoach » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:11 pm

Joyce M David wrote:I can't do military signal because I'm just too darn short at 5'1 and plus its too heavy for me to spin cleanly and to also execute the moves I wish to put in.
LOL!!! You serious? This coming from you who's 5'1 AND spins a Regimental Competitor Series MACE (which is bigger and heavier)! I don't think there's a move out there that you couldn't do Joyce!

:clap2:

Otherwise, I agree with everything else you wrote above :yeah:
Bryan Ray
Too many to list

ZJH
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by ZJH » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:30 pm

I'll second Bryan on that one, haha. Definitely impressive that you spin an RMC mace. I only really know of Joyce, Bryan, Rocky, and myself in CA that are of smaller stature and that spin RMC maces, haha.
"To think idly is to think for the sake of doing nothing, or to think too much on what one has done and not on what there is to do." - San Manuel Bueno, mártir

tokyo512
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by tokyo512 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:59 pm

Joyce M David wrote:
tokyo512 wrote:What do you guys prefer?
Kenny!!!!
From what I recall, didn't you spin a military. Or was it a peacock mace double corded?
Actually, I did spin a military :P
It was a peacock military double corded. Close enough though :D
Kenneth Alcazar
Marching Don
Drum Major

Joyce M David
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Joyce M David » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:51 pm

ZJH wrote:I'll second Bryan on that one, haha. Definitely impressive that you spin an RMC mace. I only really know of Joyce, Bryan, Rocky, and myself in CA that are of smaller stature and that spin RMC maces, haha.
Yay for short people. Lol. :oops: Even though mace is heavier and bigger than the signal. For some reason I've just become spoiled and loved to practice my mace. I don't know why, but I always have the urge at random times to get my mace and just try some random move that I'm thinking of or have seen. I used to do the same thing with my military, but it seriously is disfigured that the head is truly deformed. For some reason I have so much fun with my mace other than the fact that I've broken 5 maces (3 Dalman & Narlborough, one RMC, and 1 American) and 1 military. Lol. I guess I am prone to breaking things. I'm a clutz. :roll: I especially have a tendency to break my mace RIGHT before competitions. Jeez. So much for bad luck
dmcoach wrote:
LOL!!! You serious? This coming from you who's 5'1 AND spins a Regimental Competitor Series MACE (which is bigger and heavier)! I don't think there's a move out there that you couldn't do Joyce!
Thanks so much. To be honest I constantly pushed myself because of the talent that is especiially out there that you or any of the IDMI instructors or anyone else have trained. It's a great thing what you, Rocky, Jason, and the others are doing in expanding drum majoring. It especially helps all of us dms become great friends.
Joyce Marie David
Notre Dame High School (Sherman Oaks)
Irish Knight Band
Drum Major '08-'09
International Drum Major Institute (IDMI) Drum Major Instructor
World Drum Major Association (WDMA) Clinician/Instructor

ZJH
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by ZJH » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:27 am

Joyce M David wrote:
ZJH wrote:I'll second Bryan on that one, haha. Definitely impressive that you spin an RMC mace. I only really know of Joyce, Bryan, Rocky, and myself in CA that are of smaller stature and that spin RMC maces, haha.
Yay for short people. Lol. :oops: Even though mace is heavier and bigger than the signal. For some reason I've just become spoiled and loved to practice my mace. I don't know why, but I always have the urge at random times to get my mace and just try some random move that I'm thinking of or have seen. I used to do the same thing with my military, but it seriously is disfigured that the head is truly deformed. For some reason I have so much fun with my mace other than the fact that I've broken 5 maces (3 Dalman & Narlborough, one RMC, and 1 American) and 1 military. Lol. I guess I am prone to breaking things. I'm a clutz. :roll: I especially have a tendency to break my mace RIGHT before competitions. Jeez. So much for bad luck
:shock: Holy crap, that's pretty much $2000 in damages right there.

dmcoach
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by dmcoach » Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:54 pm

Bumping this for the new crop of DM's :3talk:
Bryan Ray
Too many to list

DMPwer
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by DMPwer » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:43 pm

Very nice post.

There is one company that I know of that has excellent Military Batons that was not mentioned.

It's called the Excellon Drum Major Baton. (Made by Pete Harper) I really think it's one of the best DM Military Batons available today.

It's perfectly weighted in sizes 34" 36" 38" 40" .

- It's not that metal shaft you often see, it's a white shaft which is more easily seen in performance (a + for many)

- Chrome steel head

- Can be custom ordered to any custom length up to 42"

- Can come in many braid colors.

I know that Granada Drum Majors up north use it and others.

---- In regards to spinning, I used to spin mace for middle school and I was originally going to a HS with a American Mace DM but then I switched HS's and spun Military.

I prefer Military to because I think it gives you much more to do, it looks more snappy/professional and is a beauty when mastered.

:)
Umayr Sufi
Granada H.S Asst. Drum Major 2008-2010
Drum Major Instructor
http://www.umayrsufi.com

ZJH
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by ZJH » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:48 pm

DMPwer wrote:Very nice post.

There is one company that I know of that has excellent Military Batons that was not mentioned.

It's called the Excellon Drum Major Baton. (Made by Pete Harper) I really think it's one of the best DM Military Batons available today.

It's perfectly weighted in sizes 34" 36" 38" 40" .

- It's not that metal shaft you often see, it's a white shaft which is more easily seen in performance (a + for many)

- Chrome steel head

- Can be custom ordered to any custom length up to 42"

- Can come in many braid colors.

I know that Granada Drum Majors up north use it and others.

---- In regards to spinning, I used to spin mace for middle school and I was originally going to a HS with a American Mace DM but then I switched HS's and spun Military.

I prefer Military to because I think it gives you much more to do, it looks more snappy/professional and is a beauty when mastered.

:)
Probably the only people that still own Excelon batons nowadays are Rick Wilson, Kris Harper (director of Whitney HS in Rocklin) and Kathleen Jones (née Harper, wife of Tom Jones, director of Granada HS), the latter two of which were Pete Harper's kids, if I'm not completely out of my mind, haha. I've always wanted to ask Kathleen how to buy one, but I never got around to it. But yes, Excelon batons are very fun to spin.

dmcoach
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by dmcoach » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:03 am

I've spun something similar to an Excelon, and it's actually currently in production through http://www.marchingworld.com. Peacock still sells a version of their military called "super flex". Really fun batons, but not my preference as they sometimes tend to slowly retain a bend after a long period of time. Fun though, really fun. :D
Bryan Ray
Too many to list