6 and 6!!!

A place for student leaders, drum majors, section leaders, student council members, etc.

Moderators: dmcoach, nopsbs

Ryan H. Turner
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

6 and 6!!!

Post by Ryan H. Turner » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:43 am

WHY?!?!?! Who thought of that?? WHY?!?!?! I was cursed throughout high school with OCD doing 6 and 6's on lines and cracks and other landmarks in front of me. WHY!?!?!?!??!!?!?

SIX AND SIX!?!?!? :crazy:

Discuss. :whistle:

DMJUDGE
Veteran
Veteran

Re: 6 and 6!!!

Post by DMJUDGE » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:26 am

Vore can give you the absolute specifics, but like all things parade band it comes down to the military and the pass and review.

There were many days I spent at the park throwing a tennis ball, beating time towards, doing my salute, missing it, saying a few choice words to myself and doing it all over again. However, to this day I can usually spot 6 marching steps without even thinking about it.
Brennan England
Warner Middle School, Director

Ryan H. Turner
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by Ryan H. Turner » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:21 am

DMJUDGE wrote:Vore can give you the absolute specifics, but like all things parade band it comes down to the military and the pass and review.

There were many days I spent at the park throwing a tennis ball, beating time towards, doing my salute, missing it, saying a few choice words to myself and doing it all over again. However, to this day I can usually spot 6 marching steps without even thinking about it.
Good Lord Brennan! You were worse than me!! HAHAHA...ok...thanks. Maybe Vore will chime in...

vore
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by vore » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:41 am

Ryan and all...

The SCSBOA Parade Manual was first written by a group of high school band directors to provide continuity to the presentation and adjudication process of bands in parades and band reviews. Most of these gentlemen were WWII and/or Korean War veterans, so much of the SCSBOA Parade Manual was based on the US Army Band Manual and the US Army Drill & Ceremonies Manual. You can access these and other US military manuals at: http://www.drummajor.net/1Manuals.htm

Here is a quote to help...

Saluting Colors

National and organizational flags, which are mounted on flagstaffs equipped with finials are called Colors. Military personnel passing an uncased National Color salute at six steps distance and hold the salute until they have passed six steps beyond it. Similarly, when the uncased Color passes by, they salute when it is six steps away and hold the salute until it has passed six steps beyond them.

When I was a young lad of 20 and serving my basic training at Ft. Ord in Monterey, California I was taught to salute an officer and/or US flag 6 steps prior to the officer and/or US flag and hold the salute until I was 6 steps past the officer and/or US flag.

From my experiences as a high school drum major competing in SCSBOA events, as a US Army drum major, and as a high school band director and SCSBOA adjudicator for many years, I can hit 6 and 6 in my sleep...

vore 8-)
Last edited by vore on Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Educators are teachers who have taken an easy subject and made it difficult."

dmcoach
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by dmcoach » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:10 pm

DMJUDGE wrote:Vore can give you the absolute specifics, but like all things parade band it comes down to the military and the pass and review.

I brought the other three years of field show experience with me to the street. It didn't take me long to realize and remember that our band director wanted us to march 7-5 stride in the street, so I translated the first 6 steps for the salute to only have a distance slightly smaller than 5 yards.

I was one of those drum majors that learned on my own, and had to eyeball the salutes at every review I went to. Measuring salutes with the music is so much more accurate and convenient.
:yeah:
Bryan Ray
Drum Major Instructor, Parade Advisor
Too many to list

PGOK
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by PGOK » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:05 pm

vore wrote: From my experiences as a high school drum major competing in SCSBOA events, as a US Army drum major, and as a high school band director and SCSBOA adjudicator for many years, I can hit 6 and 6 in my sleep...
vore 8-)
So, how long have you been walking in your sleep? That's often the sign of a restless mind. Has something been weighing on you. Maybe a project that has yet to be completed. Taxes.....doctoral dissertation...screen play.....BOOK

:read:
“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.”

— Groucho Marx

vore
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by vore » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:21 pm

:drop:
vore 8-)
"Educators are teachers who have taken an easy subject and made it difficult."