Section Leader Problems

A place for student leaders, drum majors, section leaders, student council members, etc.

Moderators: dmcoach, nopsbs

Trills

Section Leader Problems

Post by Trills » Wed May 21, 2008 3:47 pm

poop
Last edited by Trills on Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bassoonuba
Section Leader
Section Leader

Re: Section Leader Problems

Post by bassoonuba » Wed May 21, 2008 9:37 pm

Trills wrote:... im not sure what to do...
Each school/program has its own way of choosing their sectional staff. If the section is allowed to pick then it's up to you to campaign hard for your position. That means getting out, shaking hands, kissing babies, etc. On the other hand, in a lot of programs the director and staff jointly choose the sectional staff without input from students. Unfortunately, in the later situation there isn't really much that you can do. The staff will use an evaluation of your performance during the entire time that you have been involved with your program; you're not going to change their mind at this point.

In any event, the best advise is to do the best that you can. Even if you are passed over for section leader in the coming year a truly strong leader also knows how to act as a part of a group. In other words, always set a good example for others in your section. As an officer or simply as a junior... you will be looked up to by someone.

Ryan H. Turner
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by Ryan H. Turner » Thu May 22, 2008 8:08 am

I've always believed the following two things:

A leader doesn't have to have a title to be a leader.

AND....

The best leader is someone who knows how to AND WILL follow.

And in my semi-professional yet non-credentialed opinion (IMSPYNCO), I can't believe ANY director would be able to justify leaving the decision of who was going to be a section leader up to a popular vote. That's ludicrous in my book. Popular has NOTHING to do with ability.

JazzGeek
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Section Leader Problems

Post by JazzGeek » Fri May 23, 2008 1:49 am

Trills wrote:Well I'm currently the flute section leader at my high school and im in the 10th grade. This year i surely believe that ive lead my section well. Everyone in my section is quite fond with me. But however for the last 4 months or so i havent been the best section leader i can. Due to softball, keyclub,NHS, and ASB. Will all these activities roaming around its hard for me to keep consistent concentration on my music and leadership. However due to the respect of my section, they still choose to act responsible and practice their music, which is great. On the flip side, theres a player in my section whos is trying to "steal" my position. Shes someone who doesnt really care about school and anything for the matter. She stays in the bandroom and practices as much as she likes. And to top that shes one of my directors "favorites". And a couple of weeks ago i've learn that my director has recommend that she run for section leader against me. In matter of fact, ive heard that she has already took my position but the staff is trying to hold this news till section leaders are announced. I am honestly hurt by this and im not sure what to do. My fellow players respect me a whole bunch and would love to see me lead in the following season. but my director would rather a life failing student who creates e drama and not to mention two faced..lead my section. I can honestly say that my section is heading towards doom if it happens.
You do what you have to do. You budget your time. You want it bad enough, you'll do whatever it takes to get it. You focus on the prize; don't worry about the competition, worry about yourself. If your band director is looking for a replacement, it's because you ain't gettin' the job done. Truth hurts, but sometimes we need a kick in the ass to get back on track.

Trills

Post by Trills » Fri May 23, 2008 5:50 pm

Ryan H. Turner wrote:I've always believed the following two things:

AND....

And in my semi-professional yet non-credentialed opinion (IMSPYNCO), I can't believe ANY director would be able to justify leaving the decision of who was going to be a section leader up to a popular vote. That's ludicrous in my book. Popular has NOTHING to do with ability.

well my band director allows the whole entire band council be chosen through voting. and with the last 2 years ive been there, those who ran for the position clearly won by popular vote. =/

JazzGeek
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JazzGeek » Sat May 24, 2008 12:28 am

Trills wrote:
Ryan H. Turner wrote:I've always believed the following two things:

AND....

well my band director allows the whole entire band council be chosen through voting. and with the last 2 years ive been there, those who ran for the position clearly won by popular vote. =/
Your band director sounds young; he'll eventually learn that democracy doesn't work, and he will become a dictator and appoint a band council. Then again, I guess in large school band programs, they have to show some semblance of democracy. Most schools I have seen recently use their section leaders & drum major as band council; all chosen from the band director. 8-)

MoophoniumMan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MoophoniumMan » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:08 am

The quality of your leadership is measured largely by your commitment to the people you are leading. Whether this girl cares about school or whether she is the director's favorite is irrelevant. If she shows she is more committed to the section than you are, then people will have more trust in her and she will be a more effective leader.

If you seriously want to retain your leadership position you should reassess your priorities. Leadership positions aren't for people who don't have time for them.

STEVIE805
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by STEVIE805 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:52 pm

[quote="JazzGeek"][quote="Trills"][quote="Ryan H. Turner"]I've always believed the following two things:

AND....

And [b]i[/b]n [b]m[/b]y [b]s[/b]emi-[b]p[/b]rofessional [b]y[/b]et [b]n[/b]on-[b]c[/b]redentialed [b]o[/b]pinion (IMSPYNCO), [u]I can't believe ANY director would be able to justify leaving the decision of who was going to be a section leader up to a popular vote. That's ludicrous in my book. Popular has NOTHING to do with ability.[/quote][/u]

well my band director allows the whole entire band council be chosen through voting. and with the last 2 years ive been there, those who ran for the position clearly won by popular vote. =/[/quote]

Your band director sounds young; he'll eventually learn that democracy doesn't work, and he will become a dictator and appoint a band council. Then again, I guess in large school band programs, they have to show some semblance of democracy. Most schools I have seen recently use their section leaders & drum major as band council; all chosen from the band director. 8-)[/quote]

This may be the case in some groups but from first hand experience, I've seen that an authoritarian director isn't always the best. In the first few years that my current director was at my school, he had a very democratic approach when it came to the council, and they were some of the best years that my band had seen. However, in the last two years, he started making more executive decisions, and this brought up the feeling among the band that their opinions didn't matter. Fortunately, he realized this and reversed his approach.

Back to the main discussion. I am going to be a junior this upcoming season and it will be my second year as the tuba section leader. As someone who can relate with having so many extra-curriculars, I would tell you to prioritize your time efficiently. If you ever get the feeling that you are losing control, then take the time to stop and see what you need to do to fix it. Also, make sure that you don't give yourself to much to do because although you may be preparing for the future, you can't lose sight of the fact that you are in school and it should be fun, not just work.

Trills

Post by Trills » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:37 pm

thanks for the replies everyone. ;]