2 drum major related questions

A place for student leaders, drum majors, section leaders, student council members, etc.

Moderators: dmcoach, nopsbs

eclipze09

2 drum major related questions

Post by eclipze09 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:49 pm

First question: Do you have to pay some kind of fee for L-Pattern competitions? If so, how much?

Second question: I recently got my repaired mace after the shaft broke. I'm pretty sure it was because the fiberglass in the shaft never became flexible enough, so before I start again, I want to know exactly how should I go about on making the mace flexible and more resistant. Does anyone know the proper way in acheiving this?

ZJH
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by ZJH » Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:14 pm

1) Depending on which part of California you live in, there are fees. In NorCal, the fees are all mandated by the NCBA, and depending on which competitions you want to attend and how many divisions you wish to compete in, the fees will rise accordingly. And in the SCSBOA, the fees are subject to each host.

2) As for making your shaft more flexible, go about your first 2 weeks or so with spinning your newly-repaired mace fairly lightly. Don't do huge tosses, and be careful not to do any really high-impact flourishes, like tosses higher than two revolutions, hard diagonal body wraps, etc. My recommendation on breaking the mace in would be just to do the basic spins fairly often to get it slightly more flexible.
"To think idly is to think for the sake of doing nothing, or to think too much on what one has done and not on what there is to do." - San Manuel Bueno, mártir

DMJUDGE
Veteran
Veteran

l-patterns

Post by DMJUDGE » Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:21 pm

As a matter of clarification. The L-patterns in So Cal. are not associated with SCSBOA. They are currently run by Tom Peacock and Brennan England.

In the American Competitions circuit, the average cost for a competition is about 20.00. Each additional division after that is usually cheaper.
Brennan England
Warner Middle School, Director

ZJH
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by ZJH » Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:45 pm

Ahh yes, my bad! :oops: I guess my mind got slipped up a bit, haha.
"To think idly is to think for the sake of doing nothing, or to think too much on what one has done and not on what there is to do." - San Manuel Bueno, mártir