LACK OF INSPIRATION!!!

A place for student leaders, drum majors, section leaders, student council members, etc.

Moderators: dmcoach, nopsbs

Urgasandonald

LACK OF INSPIRATION!!!

Post by Urgasandonald » Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:46 am

i am the ADM at sweetwater high and many people in the marching band, actually about 10 out of 30 lack the enthusiasm and attention span to deal with the task at hand. some cant even marching properly still! we've been practicing for about 3 months and no hope. thats only the band and not considering the the colourgaurd. what to do, what to do? all i can say is "HELP!"

AzhlackDMPiccolo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by AzhlackDMPiccolo » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:22 am

have you pulled them aside to give them individual help? if so ... just dont give up, keep drilling it into theirheads.. and if they lack inspiration. have a talk with them. tell them a story about your band's past to show them what it means to be in the band. main thing is that dont give up!!!!
Eyes with pride!

"Ability may get you to the top but it takes character to keep you there."
-John Wooden

Pi=3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105...

Sixfdsteve
Rookie
Rookie

Re: LACK OF INSPIRATION!!!

Post by Sixfdsteve » Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:45 am

UrgasanDonald wrote:i am the ADM at sweetwater high and many people in the marching band, actually about 10 out of 30 lack the enthusiasm and attention span to deal with the task at hand. some cant even marching properly still! we've been practicing for about 3 months and no hope. thats only the band and not considering the the colourgaurd. what to do, what to do? all i can say is "HELP!"
Usually in this type of setting it is just individuals not really understanding what and why we do what we do and the lack of those around them not giving them guidance or explaining all the concepts of our art (dang, that was long winded!!) Everytime I have encountered this situation the best way I have found is to deal with them on an individual basis. If you address this in a group settling the message gets lost amongst the masses. When people get called out in a group setting, embarrasment sets in and then the attitudes get worse. Having everyone jump on then nets the same results. Student leaders need to step up as well. I remember when I was marching, I hated when student leaders got to the point of becoming cheerleaders when they were getting the band and guard hyped up and focused. People can see phony a mile away. Sometimes mentioning the situation to the individuals is best done without ceremony. Maybe just bring it up in passing and see where it gets you. Also at the next comp you guys go to, take them to see some of the more experienced bands in the lot (Poway, RB, RBV, Mt.Carmel, Vista, etc...) and then have them watch the performances. When they see the results of hard work and dedication, it may help re-enforce the message you are trying to convey. Remember, every group has a few of these people to deal with, so don't get frustrated and give up on them. PM me if there is any other way I can help. bast of luck!

Steve
Steve Elias

Percussion Caption Head
Liberty County HS
Hinesville, GA
Arranger/ Clinician/ Consultant 08/09
Percussion Caption Head 03-07
El Capitan HS
Lakeside, CA

STEVIE805
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by STEVIE805 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:21 pm

We had the same problem at my school this year. Thanks for the post, it really helps. It seems like it will be better next year though.