Disrespect and negativity within the band!

A place for student leaders, drum majors, section leaders, student council members, etc.

Moderators: dmcoach, nopsbs

JanelleKJohnson

Disrespect and negativity within the band!

Post by JanelleKJohnson » Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:18 pm

Hello everyone my name is Janelle and I am the Low Brass Section leader for my new school. My problem simple is how can you change the minds of a band that has gotten exellence ratings into a superior performing band?????The band has no respect for each other and the talking is killing our practice times. When we attempted to enforce disciplinary actions members of the band including our band president and drum major almost quit the program. Please if you have any feedback let me know.
2008-2010 Low Brass Section Leader
2008 Santa Rosa All County Honor Band on Horn
2006-2008 Mighty Black and Gold Marching Band
2008-2010 Burroughs Marching Band
2009 CSULA First Chair Honor Band on Horn
2009 Band Council

vore
Support Staff
Support Staff

Re: Disrespect and negativity within the band!

Post by vore » Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:20 pm

Leadership, attitude, communication, philosophy, and on and on... It all starts and ends with the band director.

Best to take your concerns to the band director for guidance.

vore 8-)
"Educators are teachers who have taken an easy subject and made it difficult."

STEVIE805
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by STEVIE805 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:59 pm

I am also the Low Brass section leader at my school. We had a similar problem last year, but I don't think it was as severe as you describe your problem. Something we instituted this year was instead of assigning push-ups to the individuals who were slacking off, give push-ups to the section leaders and drum majors for not having control of the band. The was this works is to have your techs, or director assign them and make it clear that it was because the person's section was being disruptive. This way the people breaking the rules will feel bad and hopefully stop.
But this is just what worked at our school, no two schools are exactly the same and they require different remedies. So try different things until you find what works.

Zarathrustra
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Zarathrustra » Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:37 pm

Agreed. As the Low Brass section leader for the second year in a row I can tell you that getting the members to respect you will not be an easy task (especially when your brother is your second chair trombone player and is older than you). The thing is that you and the members need to understand that once rehersal begins you aren't friends anymore, you're bandmates. As stated, the band director is always the best place to go, especially if they are consistantly disrespectful. Members need to understand that talking takes away from the rehersal time as well as productivity of the time you do have. Bottom line, the director must be made aware of the problems and the band as a whole must be willing to work towards a common goal of excellence(superiority if that's your thing).
San Benito Scarlet Regiment
Trombone/Euphonium Section Leader/Student Director:2007-2009
Rifle Regiment-Sousa
The Elephant-Ord Hume arr. Zuniga
Simoraine-Barraclough arr. Zuniga
Boys of the Old Brigade-Chambers arr. Zuniga
Muhledorf-Broadbent arr. Zuniga