Best way to run sectionals

A place for student leaders, drum majors, section leaders, student council members, etc.

Moderators: dmcoach, nopsbs

mightyhorn
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Best way to run sectionals

Post by mightyhorn » Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:51 am

8-)
Besides all of the great comments I saw previously...
Always check with your director for total ensemble goals. There may be general or very specific ones. This will help you and the other section leaders stay on the same page.
mightyhorn

Kuxica
Veteran
Veteran

Re:

Post by Kuxica » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:16 pm

seanrj wrote:A few tips that may help:
1) As has been stated, HAVE A PLAN. Pay attention during full band rehearsals. If you hear a part in the music that the section is having trouble with, or the director comments on, that becomes an immediate priority. Also, try asking the director what they would like you to work on.

2) Make sure to address technique in your sectional rehearsals. 10-15 minutes of exercises is not too much to ask. Ask your director or line coach for exercises. It is not enough to learn the music, also try to help the section to develop their playing ability throughout the season. Make sure the exercises are appropriate, accessible, and effective for the level of players in the section. In other words, work on things the section needs to be able to do in order to perform better, not just the COOL SOUNDING warm-ups that someone heard BD doing...

3) Repetition, repetition, repeptition. The best way to learn, clean, and memorize material is to repeat it in small portions (usually 8 bar phrases). Break it down further if there is a specific figure the section is having difficulty with.

4) DO NOT SPEAK TO HEAR YOURSELF SPEAK OR TO SOUND IMPORTANT AND IN CHARGE. Keep your instructions, comments, and recommendations short and precise. Stay on-task and focus on the objectives. Try to keep the playing to talking ratio of 90% PLAYING, 10% talking.

5) ROUTINE ROUTINE ROUTINE. Develop good performance habits by having an effective routine. Start all sectionals with it, and start sectional warm-ups at performances with it. It helps to develop GOOD habits when it comes to performances. Goes along with the sentiment "Training, people! Training!" If your group is well-trained and has a routine to follow, they will be able to deal with any little problems that happen to creep up at the worst possible time (Murphy's Law).

As to the basics of the music:
-Go for note accuracy. If it is not correct, then fix it. It will most likely NOT fix itself.
-Go for rhythmic accuracy at slower tempos and then speed it up. People tend to want to play difficult passages quickly. Rushing through the music just lets people play so fast they MISS any errors.
-Match up ALL attacks and releases. However, do not spend 1 hour on the same attack/release.
=Of course, make sure you know YOUR part first, then learn the rest of the parts your section plays (1st, 2nd, 3rd). If you need to, play the passage for them to give them a model to follow, or to demonstrate interpretation and style.

Just work together and realize that you are all there for the same reason; TO HAVE A GREAT BAND EXPERIENCE! With that said, there is no better band experience than working hard to learn your material and going out and performing GREAT!

Nothing is more fun than being in a group that has great performances.

Hope that helps. HAVE FUN!

Yeah! What he says. :D

Actually, unless you mind, Sean, I'd like to share and use this with my section leaders. Perhaps coming from someone else they will listen and understand.

Kuxica
" Don't compete to beat the other bands and get the trophies, instead compete to do better then before and then the trophies will come in." - Unknown

" I have one word for you, ' Loara'." - Rick Lorenzen 1996 at the Chino Band Review.

BGRtumpet
Rookie
Rookie

Post by BGRtumpet » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:50 am

Hey guys,
I can't remember if its been mentioned, but It's a great idea to take notes during practice. Your instructor usually tells you the things that are most wrong (like when they scream intonation or dress or w/e), and if you write down what they said (and what part of the music it comes from) you can clean it up in sectional's.
Wilcox Black and Gold Regime (NCBA)

Trumpet--Benge CG

'05 Mask of Zorro
'06 Rhapsody (in blue)
'07 "Symphony 99" (music from Beethoven's 9th and Dvořák 's 9th)
'08 Jurassic Park

Kuxica
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Kuxica » Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:55 pm

You should see all the red color pencils on my students notes.....especially now that we are beginning to do field show. It really does help...
" Don't compete to beat the other bands and get the trophies, instead compete to do better then before and then the trophies will come in." - Unknown

" I have one word for you, ' Loara'." - Rick Lorenzen 1996 at the Chino Band Review.

77thcavalrypit
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by 77thcavalrypit » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:55 pm

i agree with mr jenkins mostly

a great book to read about this subject is to read john woodens book on leadership his ideas are simple but extremely effective.

overall:
1 u need a plan everytime.
2 NO dead or wasted time
3 make it worth the time and effort