What Makes a Great Section Leader?

A place for student leaders, drum majors, section leaders, student council members, etc.

Moderators: dmcoach, nopsbs

Woodwindgeek

Becomin a Section Leader

Post by Woodwindgeek » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:57 am

I am a freshman at my High School. I am applying for section leader next year, but I have to write an essay. Does anybody know how to start one. I have to answer the question "How do you view your role as SECTION LEADER?" and " Why should you be chosen as a student leader of this band?" I no what im asking sounds knda stupid. But, this is only my first year in it, and nobody elese is applying and they told me to apply. So if anybody can help me that would be great. Oh and by the way, my band director says that Perfect Pitch is losing your sound in the band and listing to balance, and intonation.[/b]
WoodWindGeek
Apollo High School Marching Eagles
Owensboro,Ky

MalletQueen
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Becomin a Section Leader

Post by MalletQueen » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:57 am

Woodwindgeek wrote:I am a freshman at my High School. I am applying for section leader next year, but I have to write an essay. Does anybody know how to start one. I have to answer the question "How do you view your role as SECTION LEADER?" and " Why should you be chosen as a student leader of this band?" I no what im asking sounds knda stupid. But, this is only my first year in it, and nobody elese is applying and they told me to apply. So if anybody can help me that would be great. Oh and by the way, my band director says that Perfect Pitch is losing your sound in the band and listing to balance, and intonation.[/b]

MalletQueen
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Becomin a Section Leader

Post by MalletQueen » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:05 am

Woodwindgeek wrote:I am a freshman at my High School. I am applying for section leader next year, but I have to write an essay. Does anybody know how to start one. I have to answer the question "How do you view your role as SECTION LEADER?" and " Why should you be chosen as a student leader of this band?" I no what im asking sounds knda stupid. But, this is only my first year in it, and nobody elese is applying and they told me to apply. So if anybody can help me that would be great. Oh and by the way, my band director says that Perfect Pitch is losing your sound in the band and listing to balance, and intonation.[/b]
Sorry about the previous submission. A book fell on the keyboard and sent the reply before I started writing.

My advice is to begin with what you think a good section leader is, and what he/she should bring to his/her section. After that, tell what traits and strenghths you have that would benefit your section and utimately reflect on the band as a whole. Make certain that your final sentence include your feelings for the band and how you want to be a part of the growth of your section, and how you want to make a positive impact on the quality of sportsmanship and pride in the band.

Good luck. I'm sure you'll write a great essay if you really show your desire for the position. If you have any questions, just PM me.

KingMattIV
Rookie
Rookie

Post by KingMattIV » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:39 pm

Good stuff guys. I really do hope that some up and coming leaders can take advantage of this thread to start making themselves a better leader.

And in response to Woodwindgeek's post on perfect pitch, you director is right, unless he's talking about the ability of a person to always hear pitches exactly as they are suppsed to be. When a group is totally in tune, the part you play should blend perfectly into the group's as a whole, and no one part or player would stick out at all.