question about SCSBOA champs

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

curios0811
Rookie
Rookie

question about SCSBOA champs

Post by curios0811 » Sun Oct 10, 2004 1:22 pm

how many schools make it to champs per division, is it top 12 per division? i know its both scores combine but hows it gonna work. thanx
Yo

The Aceman
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by The Aceman » Sun Oct 10, 2004 1:31 pm

It's the top ten...last year in 6A though there were only 9 6A bands, walnut did not qualify.
Go read "Ishmael" a novel by Daniel Quinn. It will literally change your life.
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges.

dr
Drum Major
Drum Major

SCSBOA Field Championships

Post by dr » Sun Oct 10, 2004 2:25 pm

curios0811 wrote:how many schools make it to champs per division, is it top 12 per division? i know its both scores combine but hows it gonna work. thanx
Ten bands from each division are planned provided ten bands apply in each division. You can check out the scoring grid and see which bands have applied by going to:
http://www.scsboa.org/pdf/FldCscor.pdf

The top ten bands, based on their combined top two scores, will be selected.

The applications for the Championships were supposed to be due no later than September 30. If that's the case there will be some very small divisions at Championships. Here's a summary of the numbers of bands that have applied for Championships according to the SCSBOA website today:

1A - 7
2A - 28
3A - 29
4A - 21
5A - 13
6A - 3

I'm not sure how accurate the grid is regarding applications, since I know of one 6A band that is planning to attend that isn't listed as entered.

As of 10/17 the numbers have changed a bit:

1A - 8
2A - 28
3A - 33
4A - 23
5A - 12
6A - 8
Last edited by dr on Sun Oct 17, 2004 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

InnocentBystander
New Recruit
New Recruit

The Grid

Post by InnocentBystander » Sun Oct 10, 2004 5:28 pm

Yeah! I have questions too! I thought Murrietta Valley was in 6A division this year? But they have them listed in 5A. And I would would be SHOCKED :shock: if Etiwanda was in 5A division, but that's where they are listed. However, they aren't checked as an entrant. And what is the use of listing bands that haven't entered? Are they listed, just in case? Sorry, :? just thinking out loud. P.S. Good to see some of the bands that have been competing mostly in WBA have entered SCSBOA championships.

dr
Drum Major
Drum Major

Re: The Grid

Post by dr » Sun Oct 10, 2004 5:58 pm

InnocentBystander wrote:Yeah! I have questions too! I thought Murrietta Valley was in 6A division this year? But they have them listed in 5A. And I would would be SHOCKED :shock: if Etiwanda was in 5A division, but that's where they are listed. However, they aren't checked as an entrant. And what is the use of listing bands that haven't entered? Are they listed, just in case? Sorry, :? just thinking out loud. P.S. Good to see some of the bands that have been competing mostly in WBA have entered SCSBOA championships.
I'm guessing that listing Etiwanda and Murrieta Valley in the 5A Division is a typo that will be corrected shortly. Both schools have already competed in Class 6A so they wouldn't be eligible to compete in 5A at Championships. Etiwanda, the last time I checked, did not list the Championships on their calendar. They may not be attending. <gasp!>

I can think of a variety of reasons that bands not entering Championships might be entered on the grid. The most important reason would be to track that the bands stay in the same division throughout the season. Last year there were a number of bands that decided to "move up" divisions later in the season when they saw that they could score well against the bigger bands. That isn't allowed. It also isn't allowed to "move up" divisions AFTER Championships. It's also possible that a band may be allowed to enter after the deadline and their scores would already be entered in the grid. Listing all the bands in the grid also allows web surfers to see the number of bands being adjudicated each week and allows surfers to track bands that may not be entered into Championships. Contrary to popular belief, the SoCal marching band universe isn't ALL about the SCSBOA Field Championships!!!!!!!!!

The whole reason that the SCSBOA FASC decided to mandate classification was so that bands would compete against the same bands every week. It was decided that the divisions would be determined by the number of performing musicians. Since those divisions were defined, I still don't understand why it is allowed for a group to move into a class with larger bands. The majority of students, parents, and fans don't seem to understand that the difference between 5A and 6A is ONLY based on the number of musicians, not on the quality of the group. A 6A band isn't BETTER than a 5A band, only BIGGER. And a bigger band isn't necessarily better than a smaller band.

I suppose an argument can be made that at tournaments where a sweepstakes is awarded (unilke SCSBOA Field Championships), the Sweepstakes Winner will almost always come from the "highest" (i.e., biggest band) class. Then if a band in a "lower" class wanted to compete for the sweepstakes trophy it might be advantageous to "move up" to the "highest" class. But it seems to me that in the purest form, bands should be required to compete in the class they should be in based on the total number of musicians -- no moving to other classes at all. If it is important for a band to compete against the larger bands, they need to recruit more musicians. IMO.

InnocentBystander
New Recruit
New Recruit

The Grid

Post by InnocentBystander » Sun Oct 10, 2004 9:26 pm

Thanks for the TRY dr! :wink: You always give us insightful information. However, it is called 2004 SCSBOA Field Championship Score Grid. There shouldn't be any need to track a band that isn't competing in the championships. What difference would it make if a non-competing band moved up, down or sideways? It wouldn't make any difference, at least how I see it. :? They shouldn't even figure into the equation. But then again, I'm just an innocent bystander.

I'm sure most people understand the championships is totally voluntary and may not NECESSARILY crown the best band in that division as champ, but the best band as judged in that particular competition. I know the late season date definitely has an impact. But the committee knew what they were up against. when the decision was made. I know that a lot of people live and die by the 6A division, but 4A is shaping up to be quite a tasty little contest, just from the bands that are already entrants. Hart, Westlake and Riverside Poly have all moved up this year. And you figure in Trabuco Hills, and if bands such as Valencia and Carlsbad decide to compete, it will be QUITE competitive.

One more thing.....Schurr is listed at an entrant in the 5A division. Are they aware this is a FIELD competition and not a review? :wink: Just kidding! That has got to be a FIRST! Good Luck Schurr!

dr
Drum Major
Drum Major

Re: The Grid

Post by dr » Sun Oct 10, 2004 11:24 pm

InnocentBystander wrote:Thanks for the TRY dr! :wink: You always give us insightful information. However, it is called 2004 SCSBOA Field Championship Score Grid.

One more thing.....Schurr is listed as an entrant in the 5A division. Are they aware this is a FIELD competition and not a review? :wink: Just kidding! That has got to be a FIRST! Good Luck Schurr!
Regardless of the name of the grid, I have it on the highest authority that the reason non-entered bands are listed is to track their classifications. If it weren't for the championships there would be no grid because there is no SCSBOA interest in tracking band scores except in connection with championships.

Yes, Schurr (and Montebello, too) are trying their hand at field tournaments this year. I believe Schurr is debuting their field show at Chino this year. This is their first competitive field attempt in about 10 years. They will also be at Arcadia, I believe. I should be posting the Chino lineup late this week or early next week. It's a fantastic group of competing bands and some surprise guests.... :twisted:

curios0811
Rookie
Rookie

Post by curios0811 » Mon Oct 11, 2004 6:58 pm

Last year i think they took the top 60% of each division... i dont think its top ten of the 2 combined scores. Anyone from administration wanna answer this one? :D thanks
Yo

dr
Drum Major
Drum Major

PLEASE Someone from Administration Help!

Post by dr » Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:29 pm

curios0811 wrote:Last year i think they took the top 60% of each division... i dont think its top ten of the 2 combined scores. Anyone from administration wanna answer this one? :D thanks
Last year and the year before they took the top 10 in each division determined by the combination of the two highest scores. Perhaps this year they WILL do it the way you think it should be run.... :? I'm curious to know what you mean by someone from administration??? :?:

Member of SCSBOA '71-'04

BlueStarMom
Veteran
Veteran

SCSBOA championships

Post by BlueStarMom » Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:23 pm

Last year in each class, 1A to 6A, each competing band took their top 2 scores combined, and of all in each class the top 10 scoring bands made the championship SCSBOA tournament.

In 5A last year the BSR was the 3rd highest qualifier in Class 5A. IN 6A I believe there were only 9 competitors.
BlueStarMom
:)