Question about Marches!

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

mytree003
New Recruit
New Recruit

Question about Marches!

Post by mytree003 » Wed Sep 15, 2004 2:53 pm

we're suppose to play this march called "The National Grand" this year. The last time it was printed was 1945 and our band director has to transpose it so that modern instruments can actually play it. Now from what I understand of SCSBOA you have to pick your march from this list that is provided. Is that still true or did they change the rules? And where could I view this list? I don't want my band to end up getting disqualified because we decided to play a deceased march for the parade. :?
"I can do all things through Christ who strenghthens me." (Philippians 4:13)

Coach
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Coach » Wed Sep 15, 2004 4:21 pm

I think you can find a current list on www.scsboa.org . Go under music list.
I think that might help.
Be the Best YOU can be,
Because YOU can!

bari07
Veteran
Veteran

Post by bari07 » Wed Sep 15, 2004 4:29 pm

That website hurts my eyes. someone needs to give it a makeover
A Day in the Life '03
American Landscape '04
Willy Wonka '05
Music of Santana && Earth Wind & Fire - '06

Heyoo85
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Heyoo85 » Wed Sep 15, 2004 4:49 pm

true that.

If your march is not approved, i think you just send someone at SCSBOA a tape of it along with the score and thats it. Not sure though--but thats what i remember from when i heard my middle school band director talk about it way back in the day...

Good Luck!

dr
Drum Major
Drum Major

Re: Question about Marches!

Post by dr » Wed Sep 15, 2004 5:30 pm

mytree003 wrote:we're suppose to play this march called "The National Grand" this year. The last time it was printed was 1945 and our band director has to transpose it so that modern instruments can actually play it. Now from what I understand of SCSBOA you have to pick your march from this list that is provided. Is that still true or did they change the rules? And where could I view this list? I don't want my band to end up getting disqualified because we decided to play a deceased march for the parade. :?
Are you sure of the title? I don't find that march listed in my band encyclopedia, much less the SCSBOA Competition Parade Music List. What is the composer's name? "The National Game" by Sousa is on the SCSBOA list. Also, I'm not sure that a 1945 publication would actually be for "non-modern" instruments. Most of the marches played today were written and published before 1945. I'd be VERY careful about rewriting or rearranging marches. There are substantial penalties assessed for such things. Otherwise, there would be no purpose in establishing a list of approved marches/arrangements.

The SCSBOA Competition Parade Music List can be found at the back of the Directory or can be obtained from the SCSBOA office. I don't believe the list is on the SCSBOA website.

The latest SCSBOA Newsletter (August 2004) explained the process for adding a march to the list:
If you would like to add a march to the current parade list the following procedure is required. For the fall season, July 1, is the deadline. For the spring season, December 1, is the deadline. You must submit a score and a recording of the march (your own or another is acceptable). Please use a cassette. The panel will listen to the tape, and approve or disapprove your request. You will be notified of the decision. If approved, it will be published in the newsletter and on the website.

Hope that helps.