Marching Band V.S. Football Team

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

VM Trumpet
Rookie
Rookie

Post by VM Trumpet » Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:31 pm

With a few exceptions (there is always someone on the football team who despise the "band nerds"), we have an excellent relationship with the team. We had a Saturday practice about a week ago and the football team had a scrimage (which they won of course). They came over and we played our fight song "Boomer Sooner" right there on the spot. It was great!

Then at the first varsity game of the year, we got the football team as well as the cheerleaders into our band insaneness with the dancing-like-we-have-rabies and random chants and all of those things that bandos have. You know...

So all in all, the cheerleader-football-band symbiotic relationship looks to be a promising one....

- VM Trumpet
Vista Murrieta Golden Alliance
Trumpet Section Leader: '03 - '07

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit."
-Aristotle

JediMasterBando
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JediMasterBando » Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:16 pm

Our relationship with the football team and cheerleaders has gone back and forth. There have been complaints in the past by football players about band students getting PE credit for marching, and there has been the animosity of having a losing football team and people only coming to the games to see us. No matter what our relationship is, though, we (the band) always try to stay upbeat during football games. We have some cheers that go back and forth between us and the cheerleaders, and we play the fight song extermely triumphantly when the football team scores. We support them as best we can, and I'd like to think that our relationship stays at least respectful, if not friendly.
"Never look at the trombones. You'll only encourage them. " -Richard Strauss

'05-'08 MSU Spirit of the West Marching Band!
'08 Drum Major

Kappa Kappa Psi- Beta

The Sun Never Sets!
Mt. Carmel '01-'05

BandPicc04
New Recruit
New Recruit

Football

Post by BandPicc04 » Thu Sep 09, 2004 9:21 am

We have had our share of frstrations with lack of support and all of that. However, this past year, I believe that we had the best, most supportive and encouraging football team/cheerleaders at Ayala. At the end of every game we always play through our show, even after being beat(quite badly, I might add) the team and cheerleaders would comeover to us in the stands and watch and listen to us as a show of school spirit and support. It is a really cool feeling to play to a sea of your peers. I also believe that the amount of respect has alot to due with the coaches and advisors.

Just my experiences and thoughts.
Thanks alot you guys....................
It was an amazing 4 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yO iTs Me
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by yO iTs Me » Thu Sep 09, 2004 6:18 pm

our school actually let myself (the Pres), our drum major, and our VP talk at one of our all school assemblies about band. many kids seemed quite interested and really supported us when we were talking.

for the most part (except for those exceptions ;]) the school AS A WHOLE really respects our band, which is something I love seeing.

as for the football team, i think they respect us. LOVE us? not so sure. but respect is there, and thats all we really ask of :].

go band. TGA 04.
<3 band

flagchild06
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by flagchild06 » Thu Sep 09, 2004 8:56 pm

I don't really know how it all works. They make fun of us yeah, but I think they're getting better.

My brother is a freshman this year on football, so I get to talk to a few of the players. We've also had a few football players that play in like jazz band or orchestra! :shock: I'd say we have a better relationship with the cheerleaders.
Uh-oh for life!
EAT THE FREAKIN COOKIE!!!
I can't get my fat ass off the ground.
Because God said I could be a super ninja.

caliangel88
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by caliangel88 » Fri Sep 10, 2004 12:08 am

At my school the football team doesn't like us much. We barely get time to practice on grass because they are always using it or it is being watered for them and they won't let us touch it. Everyone around school makes fun of us. Even some of the band members make fun of other band members for being band geeks(which doesn't make sense since they are there too). It doesn't seem to get better at all. Who knows if it will ever get better.

pretty_in_pit
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by pretty_in_pit » Mon Sep 13, 2004 2:53 pm

what's the football team doing on the band field?

That's all I have to say about that