Marching Band V.S. Football Team

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

Shota871
Rookie
Rookie

Marching Band V.S. Football Team

Post by Shota871 » Sat Sep 04, 2004 12:03 am

An age old myth tells of high school marching bands and football teams constatly hate each other because one accuses other of hogging the hash mark or some other contradictory stuff. My high school drum major and most other members didn't give a thing about how strong our team was as much as I was; I love cheering with all my spirit (far more than doing a half-time corp-based show), and I'm glad I'm doing that as well in the USC band. After all USC Football team (as well as other USC teams) loves hearing Tribute to Troy ringing from the stands, and it's always our "rules" to love are athletes.

Any high school band which actually gets well and collaberates with the football team, and work as one huge unit representing school sport and spirit? :roll:
Last edited by Shota871 on Sun Sep 05, 2004 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
North High School Saxon Regiment ('00~'02)
North High School Drum Line ('00~'02)
North High School #10 Tin Can Band ('01~'02)
El Camino College Varsity Band ('03~'05)
USC Trojan Marching Band ('03~'06)

CaptainKiki
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by CaptainKiki » Sat Sep 04, 2004 8:34 am

We don't get along with them very well. They make fun of us ALL THE TIME (Especially the Guard. It's not hurtful, it's just annoying and stupid), and we don't give them any crap for anything. We're technically required to cheer at football games, but we don't do it for the team, we do it for the Cheerleaders. At least there's an okay relationship between band and cheerleaders!

Our Drum Major of two years played Varsity his sophomore year, so he could never perform with us at football games. He quit, though, when he got Drum Major.
Woodbridge High School
2003 - "It Spins Us Around": (BE THE BRAVE LITTLE TOASTER! Not the Air Conditioner)
2004 - "Pacific 231": (GAME ON!)
2005 - "Master of Suspense": (In the RIDER)
Color Guard Co-Captain 2003-2005
Class of 2006 :)

Ryan H. Turner
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by Ryan H. Turner » Sat Sep 04, 2004 8:48 am

I had a lesson taught to me a long long long time ago...[sidenote: I feel lately that every time I post people have the idea I'm walking into a room using a walker with my false teeth hanging half way out of my mouth as I continue to reference THE DREADED PAST!]...I was taught the main function or purpose of the high school marching band was to provide spirit and support to the school, and one of the ways it did that was to be at football games--ALL GAMES--and providing music during the game and doing a half time show. The competition angle of the high school marching band was "our choice" to do above and beyond the high school spirit stuff. I wonder--seriously wonder--how many administrators of high schools would agree with this assessment of what a high school marching band exists for. Now...over the centuries :D ...high school marching band has morphed itself into something that in some ways is WAY larger than any high school football team, and in many ways, WAY more complicated and just as physically demanding--except for the tackling part.

Since I personally LOATHE high school football on every level of its existence, there is no love for me and has never been any for this overhyped waste of time and potential for life-threatening injury. If it was MY world (which it should be, but that's another thread), I'd ban all high school football. Think I'm kidding? I'm not.

But on the other hand, it exists, it's part of the high school culture, and you gotta do what ya gotta do (which is partly why I would never have succeeded as a band director because with that attitude, I would never have my band show up to games!). I'm sure the super competitive, music education based marching band directors around southern California probably grimace and smack themselves in the forehead everytime they hear their brass sections honking out those bleacher cheers over and over and over...but these same directors know what their "job" is with the band.

Problem is--with RARE exceptions, I've never seen a football coach, athletic director, or football player EVER come to a high school marching band competition as a show of solidarity and support. 'Til that day comes...high school football and all it stands for ranks right up there with me doing my income taxes or having the stomach flu.

clumsy
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by clumsy » Sat Sep 04, 2004 11:58 am

Problem is--with RARE exceptions, I've never seen a football coach, athletic director, or football player EVER come to a high school marching band competition as a show of solidarity and support. 'Til that day comes...high school football and all it stands for ranks right up there with me doing my income taxes or having the stomach flu

LOL YEAH AGREE BUT WE ARE THE PERFORMER AND ENTERTAINER ITS LIKE A JOB LIKE IT OR NOT. AND I THINK WE MOSTLY DO IT FOR THE AUDIENCE ENTERTAINMENT. BECAUSE MY FOOTBALL TEAM SUCK!!!!!!!! SADLY TO SAY. I HAVN'T SEEN THE FOOTBALL COACH IN OUR COMPETITION BUT THE VARSITY AND JV COACH TOLD ME THAT THEY WERE PROUD OF US AND SUPPORT US ALL THE WAY. IT SUCK THAT THE BAND DIDN'T HEAR THAT BECAUSE IT WAS A GREAT FEELING. I BELIEVE THAT DAY U WERE TALKING ABOUT WILL COME, FOR ONE BAND AT A TIME. :D

DJ-PsiLon
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by DJ-PsiLon » Sat Sep 04, 2004 12:47 pm

One thing you have to consider is that there is a major difference between the college and high school band. One of the biggest differences I see is that high school band is aimed more towards education. College bands however are more for support of the athletic program and this can be seen with the funding provided either by the athletic department or major funding outside of the music department like an alumni association of some sort.

Personally I didn't care much for the team in high school and thought of the football games as fun dress rehearsals. I've seen football players taunt band members since we're band geeks and in my head I've always kept in mind our winning record versus all of the mostly losing seasons the team. On the college level I've noticed there's better treatment of the band members. We have support from athletics, funding and every year we get compliments from different players. Basically my opinion depends on either the high school or college experience.
Formerly known as [UCI]-Mike

BlueStarMom
Veteran
Veteran

Marching Band vs Football

Post by BlueStarMom » Sat Sep 04, 2004 8:20 pm

As a parent/band booster I have attended football games weekly for the past 7 years consecutively, during football season. Four of those years have been when my daughter (now a college sophomore) marched in the band. The band plays not only the national anthem before the game, but the school fight song, and peforms their halftime show. At the end of band camp, on the parent performance/pot luck night, our football team ceased practice to watch the band perform what they had learned so far during 2 weeks of band camp. The players applauded at the conclusion of the 2 run throughs of the show.

You would have to ask the football players how they feel about the band, and ask the band how they feel about the football players.

Personally I love both football and band. The music complements the game. When a touchdown is scored and the fight song is played it adds to the excitement on the field.
BlueStarMom
:)

JLGORMAN
Section Leader
Section Leader

Football Team vs Band

Post by JLGORMAN » Sat Sep 04, 2004 9:04 pm

Ryan: What you were taught about Band is still the way we do things in the lone star state and yes we do all games. I have known many football coaches here who have came up and thanked the Bands for traveling many miles to away games, often they were the only fans the Band had. Sorry, Band and Football in this part of the country still is a SCHOOL Activity and the Band is part of the football show. I have learned one thing in my life and that is if you want respect, you had better earn it and give it to others. Sadly, when the Band does not show up for a game because of a competition the next day, it says the football team is not that important. And you want to figure out why the football team does not respect the Band, look in the mirror. Because many of our High Schools in TX are small, it is not unusual to have football players marching at halftime along with Cheerleaders and volleyball players. Many of our directors and coaches work together as teachers in many of our schools, ego is left at the school door. We have to work together here, because we are both ruled by the UIL, and they do not play favorites, nor should they between music and athletics. Band is still supposed to be fun, and I think when the "SHOW" becomes all there is that is so sad. It does not have to be that way. Just ask the Bands or Ronald Reagen, Duncanville and others in Texas that not only compete but win and get along with their football programs.
Deep in the Heart of Texas. Home of the III Mobile Armored Corps and the 1st Cavalry Division, serving America in Iraq

gangemi
Veteran
Veteran

Post by gangemi » Sat Sep 04, 2004 11:10 pm

At Westlake the football team and the band get along very well.

Last year at the CIF Championship game we ran a little late getting to Moorpark College for the game and when we got there the stadium was packed to the hilt on both sides, except for this big section right on the 50 yard line reserved for the band. The football coach made sure the Athletic Director had it roped off for us.

If I remember correctly, we were thanked by the team after they won the game for all of our support during the year.

We look forward to supporting our football team this season. It really isn't that hard to make it work out. Also, one of the varsity cheerleaders plays trumpet in our middle concert band, so we have a link there too!

der_grosse_küh
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by der_grosse_küh » Sun Sep 05, 2004 12:15 am

JL, funding in california for music education is extremely limited. we all know that. to add the expense of doing away games, the bus fee, the dry cleaners fee, all of that, it would greatly increase the bands debts, and thus make it more expensive to b in band. many band members can tell you; financially, it is still very hard to be in band. adding those expences would be very bad.

on the other hand, i can see what you mean. id like to go to away games for the football team, or atleast a few. we have our schedule that we need to be more mindful of. however, itd b nice to get some respect from football, and go to ATLEAST one of the bands tournaments.

InnocentBystander
New Recruit
New Recruit

My Two Cents

Post by InnocentBystander » Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:51 pm

The band is not there JUST for the football team. The band is there for the fans and student body. It is entertainment, and adds to the atmosphere of tradition. Everybody who goes to football games isn't there to support the football team, but it's the place to go on Friday Nights in the Fall for a lot of people. so whether or not the football team thanks you, know that a lot of people look forward to the band being at football games and appreciate their service and hard work. There is definitely a void when the band is not in attendance.

Survivor
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Survivor » Sun Sep 05, 2004 11:09 pm

gangemi wrote:At Westlake the football team and the band get along very well.

Last year at the CIF Championship game we ran a little late getting to Moorpark College for the game and when we got there the stadium was packed to the hilt on both sides, except for this big section right on the 50 yard line reserved for the band. The football coach made sure the Athletic Director had it roped off for us.

If I remember correctly, we were thanked by the team after they won the game for all of our support during the year.

We look forward to supporting our football team this season. It really isn't that hard to make it work out. Also, one of the varsity cheerleaders plays trumpet in our middle concert band, so we have a link there too!
That is like our shcool. Our football team is pretty good I guess we made it to CIF Finals 3 years ago and the whole city loves our football team. And my band is just as good as our football team.. Its kid of like Mission and there football team...the band is good and the team is good. Anyways our football team loves us and they always say thanx band and good job guys, and stuff like that. The freshman are not as nice but I think it comes as they get older and we only really see the Varsity anyways so Yeah its kind of nice to get that form the "Popular" kids at school. LOL
Show my Pride witht the SCV (Future Corp) Yep Yep!!!!!

Lead, Follow, or get out of the way!

-Dave Kuhns

DanielE
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by DanielE » Mon Sep 06, 2004 11:19 am

Here's the thing, football players are a bunch of ego maniacs who think they rule the school. (Even more so than the snare players, lol, jk).

What I find funny is when the FRESHMEN football players think they're all that. "Yeah, I'm on the frosh football team that had no cut". I just find that extremely funny.

Of course, there are the cool football players who play because they have fun, but I hate the ego maniac type.

So, all in all, I don't think our band likes the football team, and I don't think our football team likes the band.
Chino Hills High School Percussion Ensemble

Tenor:03-05

TMRMusicMaster
Rookie
Rookie

Post by TMRMusicMaster » Mon Sep 06, 2004 11:40 am

DanielE wrote:Here's the thing, football players are a bunch of ego maniacs who think they rule the school. (Even more so than the snare players, lol, jk).

What I find funny is when the FRESHMEN football players think they're all that. "Yeah, I'm on the frosh football team that had no cut". I just find that extremely funny.

Of course, there are the cool football players who play because they have fun, but I hate the ego maniac type.

So, all in all, I don't think our band likes the football team, and I don't think our football team likes the band.
lol, I couldn't have said it better myself. Our relationship with the football team isn't the worst but could be better but hey I think both groups respect what each other does
Tustin High Schoo Marching Band and Pageantry Sax Section 02-03
TMR Sax Co-Section Leader 03-04
TMR Woodwind Captain 03-04
TMR Assistant DM 04-05
TMR Drum Major

Jordan Frausto
"JT"

mightyhorn
Veteran
Veteran

Post by mightyhorn » Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:50 pm

Stomach flu?
I can think of a few others!
Actually we have it made, our head football coach is an alumni of the school,
school football team AND the band.(He played trombone back when the band wak 140 + members). He is very supportive.
In a school of 700 everyone does everything.
mightyhorn

guardoandlovinitforlife
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by guardoandlovinitforlife » Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:07 pm

I am personally friends with a few football players. As far as the band in general, we dont really know our team. We hang out at the band room. They hang out by the lunch carts. We don't mingle much. I know my sister got along with most of them, but we basically just tell them to get off the band field durring games. :)
OOH! IT'S A MEAN BUG! what, its not a happy bug? NO! IT'S AN ANGRY BUG! I HEARD IT BUZZING IN MY EAR AND IT WAS ANGRY! so anyway...TOSSES!

O.O whos he...is that a freshman?! O.O pretty freshman...

So I love you, right?
Co-Captain 2004-2005 ^_^