March Suggestions Needed :(

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

shagadalex
Rookie
Rookie

Post by shagadalex » Tue Sep 07, 2004 7:25 pm

Hello again. I'm pretty sure they're choosing Crosley and are getting a hold of it some way, somehow... not exactly my first choice but I'm an instructor, not a director heheheh :twisted: Thanks!
Alex
Santiago High School Marching Cavaliers C/O 2004

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Wed Sep 08, 2004 7:40 am

Nothing wrong with The Crosley. It's one of Fillmore's best marches (some would argue it's THE best), and one of two of my personal favorites of his. It's got some lovely work for the woodwinds in the trio, too.

shagadalex
Rookie
Rookie

Post by shagadalex » Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:12 pm

haha yup it's a great march... I especially love the second strain woodwind runs... i'm just hoping we can get a hold of it :? since it seems to have gone out of print.
Alex

shagadalex
Rookie
Rookie

Post by shagadalex » Thu Sep 09, 2004 3:55 pm

okay, I received word that they're picking a new one. hiss. hoping to find one that sounds good but isn't terribly overplayed. Add 3 more flutes and 2 trumpets to our instrumentation list :P.
Alex

Heyoo85
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Heyoo85 » Wed Sep 15, 2004 4:57 pm

just to throw something out there if its not TOOOOOO late

Big Jeff by Ted Mesang

its a great march--really easy--and sounds really good. a circus march i think.

but yeah thats one of my ALL TIME favorites. and it doesnt require that much low brass. just a good bass drum.

anyone else herd of it?

check it out if you can!

dr
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by dr » Wed Sep 15, 2004 5:06 pm

Heyoo85 wrote:
Big Jeff by Ted Mesang
That march is on the SCSBOA Junior High School list. Santiago wouldn't be eligible to play it. :(

Heyoo85
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Heyoo85 » Wed Sep 15, 2004 6:45 pm

whooooooooops silly me

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Thu Sep 16, 2004 8:59 am

shagadalex wrote:Add 3 more flutes and 2 trumpets to our instrumentation list :P.
Your instrumentation is getting REALLY top-heavy. Has the instructor considered teaching a trumpet or two to play treble clef baritone?

That said, with all those woodwinds and trumpets, you really are well-suited for "Father of Victory" by Ganne, as others have said. It's not terribly complex, it's fairly overplayed, but it's got some nice melodic lines in it.

Maybe "The Gridiron Club" by Sousa. I'm trying to remember how much low brass is in that piece. All I recall is that it's got some pretty demanding stuff for the clarinets in the trio.

(P.S. - I have an MP3 of King's "War March of the Tartars" if you're still looking for it. The piece uses lots of low brass, though, so wouldn't be a good fit with your current ensemble.)

shagadalex
Rookie
Rookie

Post by shagadalex » Fri Sep 17, 2004 5:08 pm

we're always top heavy lol. When I was a freshman, we had 7 clarinets, 7 flutes, 5 alto saxes, and a trumpet. It's gotten better, though... but not nearly up to par. I daresay one of the trumpets is going to tuba... and another dropped out of the class. Right now, they're playing "Peacemaker" by Karl King because our intermediate feeder schools have developing music programs and many of the freshmen (out of the 40 people we have now, 20 are freshmen :shock: ) were overwhelmed at even the easiest of the pep tunes... so instead of "The Invincible Eagle", our director decided to use "Peacemaker". Thanks for the suggestions, everyone :) And Phantom, I would still be interested in that mp3 of "War March of the Tartars" because I've heard so much about it :lol: , if you don't mind
Alex

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Mon Sep 20, 2004 8:57 am

Send me your email in PM so I don't forget. :)

JCYS
Drum Major
Drum Major

?

Post by JCYS » Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:54 am

Is Karl King's Peacemaker on the SCSBOA HIGH SCHOOL parade music list?
If so, that suprises me.

vore
Support Staff
Support Staff

'Tis on the SCSBOA List

Post by vore » Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:08 am

Is Karl King's Peacemaker on the SCSBOA HIGH SCHOOL parade music list?

Yes, it is on the SCSBOA list for senior high school band.

vore
"Educators are teachers who have taken an easy subject and made it difficult."

PGOK
Section Leader
Section Leader

Re: ?

Post by PGOK » Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:47 am

jcys wrote:Is Karl King's Peacemaker on the SCSBOA HIGH SCHOOL parade music list?
If so, that suprises me.
If my memory serves me well (and don't count on that), The high school list used to be two lists one for large schools, and one for small. At some point they were combined. From the "small school" list there were several lower grade level marches for less experienced bands.
“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.”

— Groucho Marx

vore
Support Staff
Support Staff

SCSBOA Parade List...

Post by vore » Mon Sep 20, 2004 2:06 pm

You are correct. Many years back we combined the two lists (Large High School and Small High School - Enrollment Based) into one large list.

The initial thinking of the SCSBOA PAC was that "if a school had a large enrollment, the band would be larger and could play more difficult literature."

Needless to say this type of thinking went bye-bye... and justly so. The examples of large schools with small bands and small schools with large bands are too many to list here and would serve no purpose.

John Hausey
Former VP of SCSBOA Parade Adjudication
"Educators are teachers who have taken an easy subject and made it difficult."

JCYS
Drum Major
Drum Major

?

Post by JCYS » Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:20 pm

Actually, I knew that the SCSBOA had combined march lists, it just suprises me to find Peacemaker on the HS list and not the Junior HS list.

JCYS