Edinburgh Easter Festival in Scotland - anybody been there?

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

raultorian trombone
New Recruit
New Recruit

Edinburgh Easter Festival in Scotland - anybody been there?

Post by raultorian trombone » Fri Aug 20, 2004 12:23 am

Our band program is going in 2005 and i just wanted to know if anyone had inside information or cool stories about the trip. Our concert bands , jazz bands , marching band and i think drum line are going to preform there. If anyone has gone, how was the sight-seeing? thanks!
go trombones!!!! c/o 2005 - section leader
James Logan High School
BlueDevils b-corps '03 lead bari

Wildabeast
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by Wildabeast » Fri Aug 20, 2004 7:41 am

Well, the group I went with went there as part of a weeklong tour that started in England. Scotland was cool and kinda' cold (at least overcast when we were there). It turns out that while we were driving through the city, we passed by an area that was filming a movie that included Sean Connery, but we never saw him.
Hope you get to take a tour of Edinburgh Castle. You'll get a wonderful view of the city.
Who knows? You might become super-multi-talented by picking up the bagpipes. Don't forget to get a kilt, and go to a dinner party that serves haggis.

raultorian trombone
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by raultorian trombone » Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:42 am

yeah we are touring the castle and some other significant things i can't remember :) what is haggis?
go trombones!!!! c/o 2005 - section leader
James Logan High School
BlueDevils b-corps '03 lead bari

Wildabeast
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by Wildabeast » Fri Aug 20, 2004 4:49 pm

raultorian trombone wrote: what is haggis?

Check this site (READ AT YOUR OWN RISK):
http://www.gumbopages.com/food/scottish/haggis.html.

formermarcher
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by formermarcher » Fri Aug 20, 2004 5:37 pm

Wildabeast wrote:Well, the group I went with went there as part of a weeklong tour that started in England. Scotland was cool and kinda' cold (at least overcast when we were there). It turns out that while we were driving through the city, we passed by an area that was filming a movie that included Sean Connery, but we never saw him.
Hope you get to take a tour of Edinburgh Castle. You'll get a wonderful view of the city.
Who knows? You might become super-multi-talented by picking up the bagpipes. Don't forget to get a kilt, and go to a dinner party that serves haggis.
Been there, done that :D
"It is your destiny to be the leader who uses this event to rally a city, a nation...a world"

"Its not what you do or what you say, but HOW you do it that matters the most"

UC: Riverside, Class Of 2007

BlueStarMom
Veteran
Veteran

Edinburgh Easter Festival 2003

Post by BlueStarMom » Fri Aug 20, 2004 10:51 pm

My daughter and I went in April of 2003 as part of the
Riverside City All Stars (comprised of members of RCC Marching Tigers, and graduating seniors from the RUSD were invited to attend. She was a "performer" and I was a "supporter" . There were cheerleaders from all over Europe, plus a marching band from N CA and one from WI, a dance troup from France among the many performers.

It was the inagural Easter Festival (the first one). We had a great 4 days in Edinburgh. The All Stars had 3 performances. We really enjoyed our tour of the Edinburg Castle. It was pretty chilly at times. As part of our trip we had 2 days also in London.

Haggis is comprised of sheeps intestines cooked inside the lining of the intestines. It is considered a delicacy in Scotland. It was served with great fanfare at the Scottish Banquet we attended. It was very hard for me to eat any of it. My daughter ate some of it herself.
BlueStarMom
:)

MusicCoach
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by MusicCoach » Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:07 pm

I attended Scotland with RCC in 03 too. Its was alot of fun being there. It was a great experience for high schoolers and colleges students in the marching band.

:D 8-) :P
Moreno Valley HS
*Front Ensemble/Battery Instructor* 08-09
*Drill Designer* 08
Temescal Canyon HS
*Front Ensemble Instructor* 05-08
*Marching Instructor* 05-07
Tracy Community Drumline
*Co-Director*
*Music Arranger*
*Drill Designer*