WBA and NCBA

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

crumpet0412
New Recruit
New Recruit

WBA and NCBA

Post by crumpet0412 » Mon Aug 09, 2004 1:17 pm

so over the few weeks, i have been pondering and checking out the "official" websites for the two circuits, but i still can not figure out the difference between the two, all i can come up with is that WBA is more competitive than NCBA..?

and while on the subject.....

what schools are competing in WBA this year.....logan, (duh), but im not to familiar with the other schools. So represent your school and say hola 8-) .

and.....(ugh, im so full of questions, LOLZ.) is homestead doing NCBA or WBA this year, cuz i thought they did WBA like a year or two or three ago.....fill my mind with facts!

KNOWLEGDE IS POWER!

-Devin 8-)
fing yah guard yah!

florescentmarcher00

Post by florescentmarcher00 » Mon Aug 09, 2004 2:38 pm

Lets see...where oh where to begin.

NCBA...is judged such that if your band shows up, and performs, they'll receive a score of at least 80.00. Virtually guaranteed. And it's even possible to break 90.00 at the first show (this happens with very few WBA bands).

WBA...is judged at a much more realistic level (not to burst egos or anything), and judged by a group of individuals that have much more experience with newer aged pageantry, and have "kept up with the activity,"and therefore can give the group much more useful critique other than "can we check the tuning on the tamtam," while eating hamburgers, and slurping down on an ice cold coke.

So, when you say more competitive, yes, it is, but from the standpoint that its real. Realistic scores, from a group of valid individuals who know what they are doing.

Is NCBA a waste of time? no, not if your band director loves to consistantly inflate your egos with the fact that you are the creme of the crop, and is in love with the fact that "he's winning trophies" night in and night out. If that's the case, then it's all good, but if not, then prepare to be validated, and be ready to duke it out with the big boys of the west coast.

drum4life
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by drum4life » Mon Aug 09, 2004 4:06 pm

I believe that the WBA is modeled after DCI so in that respect it is far better than the NCBA. Generally any NCBA band that moves to the WBA gets trashed because the NCBA gives out to many brownie points to crap!

Yes, it's true that a band can break 90 points at their first show in the NCBA... it's such a joke!

vore
Support Staff
Support Staff

Here we go again....

Post by vore » Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:28 pm

Enough of the mud slinging... Most people get tired of this behavior and "our way is the righteous way" attitude.

vore
"Educators are teachers who have taken an easy subject and made it difficult."

clusknay
Rookie
Rookie

Post by clusknay » Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:45 pm

tis your opinion. "the way" has little to do with the comments posted. It's a mere opinion on what value I think the NCBA has in California. Please, if there are any NCBA'ers out there who want to chime in, I'd like to hear what they have to say about the circuit, as well as others as well.

I was merely presenting my opinion on the topic posted. Sorry if it seemed like "mudslinging."
Last edited by clusknay on Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Survivor
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Survivor » Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:45 pm

I happen to say that my group is a group of SCSBOA and well, we do perform in WBA shows. Its hard to get a good placing because the judging is differnt. they have judges on the field unlike SCSBOA and If im not wrong i dont think that WBA groups do parade ether am i worng Vore?
Show my Pride witht the SCV (Future Corp) Yep Yep!!!!!

Lead, Follow, or get out of the way!

-Dave Kuhns

vore
Support Staff
Support Staff

Try my best....

Post by vore » Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:58 pm

To the best of my knowledge, the WBA concentrates only or mainly on field bands.
The NCBA has a more rounded approach to the total band program including parade and field bands as well as the concert band.

No matter what "circuit" is chosen by the band director for his/her program, it is the band director's final decision as to which "circuit" and its adjudication priorities best fits his/her philosophy of music education, budget, and needs of his/her band program. (No opinion here... just plain old fact and over 30 years of teaching, judging and clinic experience.)

vore
"Educators are teachers who have taken an easy subject and made it difficult."

punkbandgurl127
Rookie
Rookie

Post by punkbandgurl127 » Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:17 pm

crumpet0412 I think Chino does WBA but im not sure... I might ask someone in my band who knows :?
Life moves pretty fast. If you dont stop and look around once in awhile you could miss it.
-Ferris Bueller's Day Off
DRT

crumpet0412
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by crumpet0412 » Tue Aug 10, 2004 8:34 am

thanks everyone for your clarification. :D 8-)

Survivor wrote:I happen to say that my group is a group of SCSBOA and well, we do perform in WBA shows. Its hard to get a good placing because the judging is differnt. they have judges on the field unlike SCSBOA and If im not wrong i dont think that WBA groups do parade ether am i worng Vore?
now that i got WBA and NCBA tackled.....SCSBOA??? LOLOLZ. sorry for all the questions, i just need to get all this lingo down so when i read some of the posts i understand SOMEwhat of whats going on :wink:

holler,
Devin
fing yah guard yah!

formermarcher
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by formermarcher » Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:05 am

Ah, SCSBOA.

SCSBOA is another marching circuit, but one of the differences between WBA and SCSBOA is that SCSBOA also features parade-style competition. Schools would march a parade then perhaps perform at a field competition and that would be the day for them, with the day concluding with a nightly awards ceremony. However, parade marching is not a requirement for field performing in SCSBOA. It varies upon location.

SCSBOA also has more classes than WBA. WBA has classes that range from 1A to 4A while SCSBOA has classes than run from 1A to 6A, with SCSBOA 6A being roughly equivilent to WBA 4A.

Thats the basic overview for you. Hope it makes sense!
"It is your destiny to be the leader who uses this event to rally a city, a nation...a world"

"Its not what you do or what you say, but HOW you do it that matters the most"

UC: Riverside, Class Of 2007

crumpet0412
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by crumpet0412 » Tue Aug 10, 2004 1:51 pm

thank yah, thank yah.....

but i thought scsboa was for "southern california".?? :?:
fing yah guard yah!

MusicCoach
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by MusicCoach » Tue Aug 10, 2004 2:26 pm

Hi! crumpet0412

The SCSBOA circuit doesnt mean that only bands in SoCal only competes. Mostly any band can compete in that circuit. Its not narrow down to SoCal bands. I help this help out too.

:P

8-)
:D
Moreno Valley HS
*Front Ensemble/Battery Instructor* 08-09
*Drill Designer* 08
Temescal Canyon HS
*Front Ensemble Instructor* 05-08
*Marching Instructor* 05-07
Tracy Community Drumline
*Co-Director*
*Music Arranger*
*Drill Designer*

mightyhorn
Veteran
Veteran

Post by mightyhorn » Tue Aug 10, 2004 2:39 pm

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually, there are bands that score on the street from the 60's on up and
the field from 60's on up. Please check the various websites that report scores and you will see.
Each assiciation is judge by its own set of rules and criteria.

mightyhorn

JCYS
Drum Major
Drum Major

NCBA & WBA

Post by JCYS » Tue Aug 10, 2004 9:12 pm

The differences:

Well, first and most obvious from the posting is that apparently the WBA has supporters ON THIS BOARD with far less class, a distinct lack of professionalism, and obviously an axe to grind than NCBA people. I DO NOT, repeat, DO NOT believe for an instant that this has anything to do with WBA band directors who are a dedicated and great group of people, it has to do with KIDS-and sometimes staff...not directors, who have unfettered access to this board to air their intolerance.

As NCBA president I had to let these meaningless diatribes go unanswered because of a sense of political correctness. No more! Now that I'm ex-president I'll answer it from my own point of view...without fear that I'm speaking for the NCBA..which I am not and can not..anymore than these kids can speak for the WBA.

OK, first of all, when NCBA was formed in 1991, it was formed by a group of MOSTLY parade band directors who wanted consistancy in the contests which, at that time, were judged by whomever using whatever sheets they wished.
Some of these contests had field, so NCBA judged them too. The same is true of NCBA winterguard and drumline competitions, which were ORIGINALLY formed to "give our parade guard/drum lines" something to do in the off season.

SO...given this fact, it constantly amazes (and disgusts) me to hear all these people whine like a bunch of little girls (and I have a little girl and she doesn't whine this much...) about "why NCBA isn't the WBA and why their winter activities aren't the CCGC or WBI." And most of the whiners are from NCBA groups who have won constantly on the circuit..and been very happy doing so..until they lost once to someone they deemed far beneath their outrageously fine level of DRUM CORPS cloning perfection, and then suddenly they turn on the NCBA with a vengence.

Since the NCBA covers the same geographical territory as the WBA, etc. WHY would we want a DUPLICATE circuit????? It is NOT, repeat, is NOT a competition between the two circuits. The directors "vote with their feet" what they want educationally for their band. The fact is, the NCBA has just as many bands on their circuit..maybe more..than the WBA. Sorry they are not up to your standards. Boo hoo-cry me a river, build me a bridge, and get over it. :crying: To make a blanket comment about the directors in the NCBA as insulting as those made in this post is criminal.

The NCBA deemed long ago that their competitions would have ROOM for everyone, no matter how "pathetically out of date" you "cutting edge" gurus deem them to be. Do you know in many other states, where you have ONE marching organization, and they are "woo hoo cutting edge" oriented, you have two kinds of bands, about 40% who do their best to emulate everything a D & B corps ever did, and the other 60% WHO NO LONGER GO TO COMPETITIONS because "they don't belong." They don't have the staff, the money, or..most importantly..even any interest in doing that kind of stuff. I talked to many directors in Washington state who are in this situation, "we don't do competitions because we aren't into that corps crap." Thats their quote, not mine. This is also true in the east and midwest. You always see and hear about the bands at BOA from those areas..what you don't see is the "other" bands who don't believe in that kind of experience.

The way you guys are so wrapped up in your own pseudo little drum corps world and have no room for any other mode of thought is a bit scary. Maybe instead of "The Manchurian Candidate" we should have "The DCI Candidate." You are so concerned because you think the NCBA's scores are too high. OK, who elected you guys president and said scores have to be the way DCI gives them? Again, and I've said this before, NCBA DOES NOT believe in linear scoring. That is a philosophical decision they made. I'd explain why to you, but you need to be a teacher first.
So if you don't like your band scoring well at your first show if you do a good job, sorry, too bad. :( :crying:

But the point is, if you didn't agree with NCBA, since you have an alternative, why not use it, and shut up. Why bash the "other circuit?" What does that gain you, other than the chance to write your outrageous opinions on a public board?
I'll tell you why. Because the directors who ARE competing on WBA don't have time to write this crap, they are too busy being GOOD directors-just like the directors in the NCBA and the SCSBOA. Its the wannabees who like to write this stuff.

And speaking of that, I have a program to run, kids to teach, and a life to lead.

I realize, and EXPECT this will probably be deleted by the moderators, and thats fine, because this whole thread should have been locked and deleted a long time ago, I thought the days of this kind of trash talking were over on this board. Apparently I was wrong.

JCYS

PS-
Now, if you want to see how a REAL professional writes, watch this-this is my restatement of the first few posts:

"In my opinion, the WBA reflects modern styles better than the NCBA. I feel that the NCBA judging can be a bit dated, and I also feel their scores are a bit inflated considering the trends of other judging organizations." I think the judges in the WBA are better trained in modern trends, particularly from a General Effect standpoint. In competing in the NCBA in the past, I have not always found their comments helpful to me in achieving the things I want for my particular band."

Same point, same statements, a lot more professional and considerate of the dozens of NCBA directors/judges who are out there in the trenches every day working for kids and music education. Save the bullying for the playground, children.

PSS-and DO NOT expect a further reply to this kind of baiting.

crumpet0412
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by crumpet0412 » Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:03 pm

whats baiting....
:-)

i dont think ive EVER read that much in my life....LOLZ. i do sooo good in school, you can tell....but that was VERY VERY informative..

thanks

holler,
Devin
fing yah guard yah!