New Director?

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

florescentmarcher00

New Director?

Post by florescentmarcher00 » Thu Aug 05, 2004 3:19 pm

So being a former alumnus of Leigh, I'm very curious to see how things pan out this coming year under the leadership of the new director, as well as a virtual "all star" staff of sorts from what I've heard.

Just out of curiousity, when your band has had it's band director replaced, how many have seen the band skyrocket in a new direction? Being up, or down...and why?

Personally, I think Leigh looks to be headed in a very positive direction. It was almost as if the marching band was being held back from a design perspective for the past few years. I also think it'll give the current members an excellent chance to see what other competition lies past the realm of NCBA. Competition is a good thing.

Thoughts?

twoleftfeet

Post by twoleftfeet » Thu Aug 05, 2004 4:00 pm

I can't speak for any other band, but I think this will be the best thing to happen to Leigh since Rich came. All I know is our staff is 3 times as big as last years with equal or more talent and experience. The three returning staff members from last year, Dave, Mike and Gary all seem to be REAL excited about this year. I was really hesitent about the program until last nights rehearsal. But now I'm ready to go! As long as the band is open to change, there is nowhere to go but up. :D

florescentmarcher00

Post by florescentmarcher00 » Thu Aug 05, 2004 4:49 pm

twoleftfeet wrote:I can't speak for any other band, but I think this will be the best thing to happen to Leigh since Rich came.
Well...yea, that too. Hands down. Sometimes, change is for the better...but sometimes it doesn't always work out for the best. I just don't think that this particular instance will be one of them. And that is in no way reflective of whatever place they take at the WBA shows they'll be attending this year because honestly if had they gone to WBA over the past few years they would've gotten smashed by everyone, exploiting the directors choice in overall design, as well as the lack of staff members to tend to the size of the band. But I think that his choice to stay where the level of comfort was relaxing to say the least, was reflective on he alone...and not that of the then existing staff. I've hung out with some of them, and they didn't seem to be the least bit happy about the working situation that ensued over that time period.

Time will tell, but from what twoleftfeet is saying...looks like the coming years at least from a marching band perspective are well on their way to surpassing anything that has been attempted, and or accomplished in previous years. Can't wait to see what's in store come cupertino!

BlueStarMom
Veteran
Veteran

New director

Post by BlueStarMom » Thu Aug 05, 2004 10:18 pm

JW North Blue Star Regiment will announce the name of its new director on Tuesday August 10th at its parent meeting. So we shall wait and see how things progress. Auditions for the band occurred before our director left for his new school. I cannot wait to find out who it is. My youngest will be in the BSR under the new leadership.
BlueStarMom
:)

formermarcher
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by formermarcher » Fri Aug 06, 2004 1:52 am

Oh not another thread about Leigh... :roll:

Be careful with what you say here. The last thread about Leigh and new directors sort of ended...abruptly.
"It is your destiny to be the leader who uses this event to rally a city, a nation...a world"

"Its not what you do or what you say, but HOW you do it that matters the most"

UC: Riverside, Class Of 2007

florescentmarcher00

Post by florescentmarcher00 » Fri Aug 06, 2004 4:04 pm

riiiiiight, anyhow, are their any OTHER comments on new directors and the impact that they bring over the course of the first year in "office."

that's what the original topic was...expansion upon that was left open.

thanks for the concern though.

MusicCoach
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by MusicCoach » Fri Aug 06, 2004 5:08 pm

Hi! Everyone

At least in the Riverside County! We already know who is the new director for TVHS.. And currently he is looking for staff to fill this season.

I would like to WISH TEMECULA VALLEY HS the BEST this SEASON!!!

:D 8-) :P
Moreno Valley HS
*Front Ensemble/Battery Instructor* 08-09
*Drill Designer* 08
Temescal Canyon HS
*Front Ensemble Instructor* 05-08
*Marching Instructor* 05-07
Tracy Community Drumline
*Co-Director*
*Music Arranger*
*Drill Designer*

someguywhodoesthings
Rookie
Rookie

Post by someguywhodoesthings » Sat Aug 07, 2004 10:33 pm

Hey BSR People!
Your new director is going to be a good choice. Best of luck/skill.

BlueStarMom
Veteran
Veteran

New director for the BSR

Post by BlueStarMom » Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:29 am

Thanks for the vote of confidence. The new director, Adam Kell, seems very nice, and he comes from Oregon. I hope he can get used to the heat 8-) . It was 110 degrees today here in rivercity. We start Freshman Band camp tomorrow, 12th August for 2 days, then regular 2 weeks for all muscians the following 2 weeks. Good luck to your marching unit this season.
BlueStarMom
:)

MusicCoach
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by MusicCoach » Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:02 am

Hey! Everyone from BSR

Good luck with your new band director! And also good luck with your field show competitions. this upcoming year.

:P 8-) :D
Moreno Valley HS
*Front Ensemble/Battery Instructor* 08-09
*Drill Designer* 08
Temescal Canyon HS
*Front Ensemble Instructor* 05-08
*Marching Instructor* 05-07
Tracy Community Drumline
*Co-Director*
*Music Arranger*
*Drill Designer*