As technology advances so does Marching Band

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

Jxb1a 3

As technology advances so does Marching Band

Post by Jxb1a 3 » Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:24 pm

As technology advances so does band. It's inevitable that technology becomes more inherent in Marching Band. Though with that in mind, the use of synthesizers and other synthetic sounds has been criticized for over supporting the sound of the main Marching Band.

I personally see nothing wrong with this. Technology is made to meliorate us which can also in true help us with band. For example: There's a large band but there aren't enough tubas to make it sound supported, that's where a synthesizer would come in. By setting the synthesizer to make tuba sounds, it can help improve the quality or in this case the "loudness of the sound," as for sonancy I don't know.

But is there really a fine definition of what we can assume as cheating or just validating something that needs improvement on? I don't consider it as cheating because first off a synthesizer has keys so most likely the person playing it, probably needs some good piano fundamentals. Secondly, I don't believe there is such a rule against the use of synthesizers.

Some people might call it cheating because it drowns out the sounds of the main band and creates a false sense of what the real "winds" sound like on the field. But all I see it as is a tool to help the band.

Any comments?

bari07
Veteran
Veteran

Post by bari07 » Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:31 pm

I'd consider it cheating. The music should be made by the students hard work not synthesizers. Its just not the same thing. The band has to work together to get the right dynamics. If one part is not loud enough then they should either play out more or the rest should play quieter.
A Day in the Life '03
American Landscape '04
Willy Wonka '05
Music of Santana && Earth Wind & Fire - '06

FourEyes85
Veteran
Veteran

Post by FourEyes85 » Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:46 pm

It's not necessarily cheating. But I totally disagree with the use of them. If you don't have enough tubas, you adapt. As long as the band plays balanced and in tune, they'll project just fine. Using synths to aide the performance ability of the band is wrong.

Now, if you have interesting and innovative use for the synths in your show, then cool. If it enhances the theme, then it's all fine and dandy in my book.
Signature goes here.

dr
Drum Major
Drum Major

Re: As technology advances so does Marching Band

Post by dr » Thu Jul 22, 2004 4:40 pm

Jxb1a 3 wrote:As technology advances so does band. <snip>

For example: There's a large band but there aren't enough tubas to make it sound supported, that's where a synthesizer would come in. By setting the synthesizer to make tuba sounds, it can help improve the quality or in this case the "loudness of the sound," as for sonancy I don't know.

But is there really a fine definition of what we can assume as cheating or just validating something that needs improvement on? I don't consider it as cheating because first off a synthesizer has keys so most likely the person playing it, probably needs some good piano fundamentals. Secondly, I don't believe there is such a rule against the use of synthesizers.<snip>

Any comments?
Interesting thoughts, but I'm afraid I disagree. (You couldn't find easier words than "meliorate" and "sonancy?")

Why not use several syntheisizers (or one sophisticated synthesizer) and program them to duplicate the sounds of the woodwinds, brass, and percussion? Then you could put out a large group of non-musicians who would only need to learn to march and hold the instruments correctly. You could simulate the sound of the entire band with no one but the synthesizer players actually having to learn to play the music. That would be a great tool to help the band. Walter/Wendy Carlos could simulate an orchestra. How much harder could it be to simulate a marching band? In fact, why not just program the music so it plays flawlessly every time? Then you wouldn't even need keyboardists, only synthesizer technicians.

I'm not sure if that would be cheating or "just validating something that needs improvement on." Or perhaps misrepresentation... . Doesn't it come down to how the synthesizer is being used? And where's the line?

I know of no rule in SCSBOA field competition regarding the use of synthesizers. I can't speak for other associations.

the yellow dart
Veteran
Veteran

Post by the yellow dart » Thu Jul 22, 2004 4:48 pm

FourEyes85 wrote:It's not necessarily cheating. But I totally disagree with the use of them. If you don't have enough tubas, you adapt. As long as the band plays balanced and in tune, they'll project just fine. Using synths to aide the performance ability of the band is wrong.

Now, if you have interesting and innovative use for the synths in your show, then cool. If it enhances the theme, then it's all fine and dandy in my book.
I completely agree, the band should make their own sound themselves, but if its making a sound like wind or any other sound effect, then use it, thats what we do
"I get to go to lots of overseas places, like Canada."(Britney Spears)"I love California, I practically grew up in Phoenix."(Dan Quayle, former Vice President)"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by candlelight."

TMR Quint Kid
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TMR Quint Kid » Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:12 pm

the yellow dart wrote:
FourEyes85 wrote:It's not necessarily cheating. But I totally disagree with the use of them. If you don't have enough tubas, you adapt. As long as the band plays balanced and in tune, they'll project just fine. Using synths to aide the performance ability of the band is wrong.

I completely agree, the band should make their own sound themselves, but if its making a sound like wind or any other sound effect, then use it, thats what we do
as long as its an effect that cant really be recreated then i would agree also. i think you could recreate the effect of wind with humans instead of synth, but there are also sounds u cant recreate in which synth would make sense.

Jxb1a 3

Post by Jxb1a 3 » Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:37 pm

I honestly don't see how its considered "cheating" in the terms of how it is expressed. Take my old example with the tuba player and the synth player: The person who is playing a synth making a tuba sound is nonetheless an instrumentalist. All he is merely doing is recreating that sound but rather from a tuba its coming from a synthesizer. It still takes discipline to play synth because its mostly based off the piano as with playing a tuba.

FourEyes85
Veteran
Veteran

Post by FourEyes85 » Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:48 pm

Jxb1a 3 wrote:I honestly don't see how its considered "cheating" in the terms of how it is expressed. Take my old example with the tuba player and the synth player: The person who is playing a synth making a tuba sound is nonetheless an instrumentalist. All he is merely doing is recreating that sound but rather from a tuba its coming from a synthesizer. It still takes discipline to play synth because its mostly based off the piano as with playing a tuba.

I'm really curious. (Mods, I'm not starting a flame war...)

Who exactly are you defending? Your profile says you're from Diamond Bar...since when do you guys need help with Tubas or any instrument for that matter?
Signature goes here.

Jxb1a 3

Post by Jxb1a 3 » Fri Jul 23, 2004 9:30 pm

we don't, we have over 10, and we use synths in our pit. I'm not really defending anyone actually I just wanted to bring out the point that times are changing and soon enough the way music will be done will also change. It might not be an immediate change but I'm sure it will happen.

cobybos
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cobybos » Sat Jul 24, 2004 9:56 am

The use of electronics ans synths can add so much to the ensemble, if it is done tastefully. Lots of schools don't have the instruments to fill out the front ensemble orchestration, that's where the synth can be beneficial. I am a fan of the "one note, one sound" belief. I don't agree with those who hit one key and 1,000 notes come out.

The addition of strings, harp, piano, or even steel drums adds texture and color to the arrangement, I see very few negatives. I have been arranging for pit for over ten years and have seen the positives of synths in the front ensemble. I have even done an arrangement of a Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto for the field. We used a Roland digital piano with an outstanding 17 year old ripping it up. The crowd didn't know what hit them.

Gabe Cobas

Survivor
Veteran
Veteran

On Keyboards

Post by Survivor » Sun Jul 25, 2004 8:46 pm

My group does use Electronics or Microphone's on the field for the Pit. And its odd to me that a lot of groups use this. Now you talk about "synthesizers" and well are they not the same thing? You would think that people who say Synthesizers are bad would also in the same breath say that Mics on the keyboards are also bad. The Pit should use their strength to produce the sound that is needed. Some would say.

I say that hey what ever helpes the over all group is great. Now its not cheeting because one, they are still useing their music abillity to produce the sound its just an object that is helping it to gain more of a volume of sound. Now my group to my knowledge does not use "Synthesizers" nor have I ever seen a group use them so please inform me on any that do!

Some judges dislike the use of Electronics on the Pit and there for its hard as a percussionist to deal with a judge that judges that way. Most of the time they were or are Drumcorp instructors, because othere than the Bigger crops they all DO NOT use Mics. BD does, and so does SCV.

A lot of High School bands use this and it hurts to see or hear someone that says its a from of chetting because look at your Pit, if they are 5A or 6A I can almost bet you that they use Electronics.

Hope my words helped this topic and This is a great Topic to talk about.......
Show my Pride witht the SCV (Future Corp) Yep Yep!!!!!

Lead, Follow, or get out of the way!

-Dave Kuhns

FourEyes85
Veteran
Veteran

Re: On Keyboards

Post by FourEyes85 » Sun Jul 25, 2004 10:07 pm

Survivor wrote:My group does use Electronics or Microphone's on the field for the Pit. And its odd to me that a lot of groups use this. Now you talk about "synthesizers" and well are they not the same thing? You would think that people who say Synthesizers are bad would also in the same breath say that Mics on the keyboards are also bad. The Pit should use their strength to produce the sound that is needed. Some would say.

I say that hey what ever helpes the over all group is great. Now its not cheeting because one, they are still useing their music abillity to produce the sound its just an object that is helping it to gain more of a volume of sound. Now my group to my knowledge does not use "Synthesizers" nor have I ever seen a group use them so please inform me on any that do!

Some judges dislike the use of Electronics on the Pit and there for its hard as a percussionist to deal with a judge that judges that way. Most of the time they were or are Drumcorp instructors, because othere than the Bigger crops they all DO NOT use Mics. BD does, and so does SCV.

A lot of High School bands use this and it hurts to see or hear someone that says its a from of chetting because look at your Pit, if they are 5A or 6A I can almost bet you that they use Electronics.

Hope my words helped this topic and This is a great Topic to talk about.......
No one said anything about the synths themselves being that bad. Most of us had said if the electronic was used creatively and innovatively, then to each his own.

However, the issue is about using the synth to recreate and enhance the volume of instruments on the field. (i.e. adding more bass through the synth because the tubas can't pull their weight for the unit)

Now, Survivor brings up an interesting point in the world of technology when it comes to Marching Band:

Mics used on keyboards. Yay or nay?

It's almost the same as using a synth to help the tubas out...but it kinda isn't. The fair answer is to say that mics should not be used, but I wouldn't call it cheating. However, I would easily say that mics are much less a device to "cheating" than synths are.
I don't know if that's such a good argument though. Sure, this is a completely different topic, but just because the big groups do something doesn't automatically make it ok in the world of Marching Band.

(PS: Just in case...keyboards = mallet pecussion & synths = electronic keyboard/piano)
Signature goes here.

raultorian trombone
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by raultorian trombone » Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:42 pm

my band rocks out the electronics . . .i love it , like in masque we had turntables and breakdancing . . it's all groovy
go trombones!!!! c/o 2005 - section leader
James Logan High School
BlueDevils b-corps '03 lead bari

Brad
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Brad » Fri Aug 20, 2004 12:26 pm

Use of elctronics do add to the overall effectiveness of the program, and don't worry, good judges are going to be able to hear through to what the marching members are playing, especialy those associations that use a field music judge. But the bigger question would be making a larger separation between the haves and the have nots. Band with greater resources are going to be able to afford the electronics, whereas the groups whose budgets are stretched just to get to the show are going to be at a disadvantage.

BlueStarMom
Veteran
Veteran

Synthesizers and new technology

Post by BlueStarMom » Fri Aug 20, 2004 10:57 pm

In the 4 years my daughter was in marching band, I do not recall any synthesizers being used in the pit for the show. I do not even think a guitar has ever been used.
BlueStarMom
:)