Rancho Buena Vista Field Tourney?

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

Rick_James
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Rick_James » Tue Jul 27, 2004 12:35 am

I have always thought that why not have just one BIG open class (combined parade/field). Everyone competes against each other. So that way, 1st place really means 1st place overall. I know to some this may sound stupid and ignorant, but in my view its a great idea. It will really show where you are, instead of having individual divisions. Again...it's just an idea of mine. I hope some of you guys agree, if not, atleast see where I'm coming from
"The lightning will knock down the tree and knock down your soul." -- Jeremy Lavine

dudewheresmycar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dudewheresmycar » Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:08 am

Whoa! No one ever said beating Etiwanda was important. If that was the case, you would have programs like Chino, Mt. Carmel, Arcadia, Diamond Bar, Vista, RBV, and RB dropping parades to put their energies strictly towards field show. Fortunately those programs have decided not to take that route and still represent true, well-rounded band programs.

You talk about opening a can of worms when comments like "parades are boring and pointless" aren't supposed to stir up controversy. I could see on the one side how you think they would be boring because they are to a lot of people, that's life. But pointless? C'mon that's a little overboard. Just because you are probably in (or were in) a program with little or no parade exposure, doesn't mean you can speak negatively about them. There are bands that strictly do parades and look forward to them. For you to blast something that you aren't familiar with is totally not cool dude.

VM Trumpet
Rookie
Rookie

Post by VM Trumpet » Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:07 am

der_grosse_küh wrote: i still think that keeping parade out is good. my personal opinion is that parades are boring and pointless, except for parades like the rose parade, and everything. but a specific event for parade bands to me seems boring and pointless. ...but thats just me. im sure others love them.
While street might not be as entertaining or exciting as field, if a band can't march in a straight line, then why are they out on the field making formations? Food for thought...

-VM Trumpet
Vista Murrieta Golden Alliance
Trumpet Section Leader: '03 - '07

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit."
-Aristotle

vore
Support Staff
Support Staff

Boring and pointless...

Post by vore » Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:55 pm

This whole topic is just that.... boring and pointless.

vore
Last edited by vore on Thu Jul 29, 2004 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Educators are teachers who have taken an easy subject and made it difficult."

Rick_James
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Rick_James » Wed Jul 28, 2004 5:16 pm

Just an other sign of evolution of band, I guess. Personally, I would love to have a band review added to the SCSBOA championships, and as much as I would love for that to happen, it won't. Band has evolutionized from a main emphasis on parade...to no emphasis what so ever. Some bands, don't even do parades anymore. And as much as I hate to say it, I dont think band reviews will be around much longer. Everything has focused in on field shows. All the roots of marching bands have vanished. I'm willing to bet that if you randomly select 5 members from random bands, 3 of them would say their band doesnt compete in band reviews. SCSBOA has done a great job in keeping this great art alive, but sooner or later, it will just be an other page in the history book.
"The lightning will knock down the tree and knock down your soul." -- Jeremy Lavine

der_grosse_küh
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by der_grosse_küh » Wed Jul 28, 2004 7:50 pm

sorry DWMC. i didnt mean that comment to sound that way. what i meant the comment to basically mean was that parade marching is beyond my comprehension as entertaining and meaningful. thats not to say there is no meaning, im sure theres alot of it, and i know that alot of bands do it well. more power to them, and i wish them the best of luck. sorry for any miscommunications in that statement.

JLGORMAN
Section Leader
Section Leader

Reply to Comments

Post by JLGORMAN » Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:03 pm

As a Proud former Southern Californian, to see the discourse and problems that seem to have over taken the Competitive programs and the possible demise of the Band Review, has made me feel quite bad. I think that the egos involved in so many associations have hurt the marching band field in CA from my viewpoint in Texas.

CA Bands have been the best in the world on the street. No contest out and out. So what happens, the heavy emphasis on the field. Sorry folks, with some exception's, CA Bands are not dominat that field. Actually overall Texas,Tennessee, GA, IN, PA, FL, IL, AL, and SC all probably have more good field bands per capita than CA.

Reading the comments, leads me to understand why it is so hard to Govern CA. If you have so much conflict in the Area of a Musical Activity(Come on Folks, Band should still be fun) and standardization, it is no wonder that the state has such a problem in Governing itself.

I have firmly believed that CA has the potential to have the greatest Bands in the nation, however fighting among each other has only hurt and not helped the Band Programs in CA.
Deep in the Heart of Texas. Home of the III Mobile Armored Corps and the 1st Cavalry Division, serving America in Iraq

PGOK
Section Leader
Section Leader

Re: Reply to Comments

Post by PGOK » Wed Jul 28, 2004 10:41 pm

JLGORMAN wrote:I have firmly believed that CA has the potential to have the greatest Bands in the nation, however fighting among each other has only hurt and not helped the Band Programs in CA.

You hit that nail on the head. And the problem goes into the various music education associations as well. Sadly, I don't think it will ever be solved.

:(

My own opinion.- I like different styles and philosophies. For all the fabulous high school and university "corp style" bands out there, my favorite is the Texas A&M Aggie Band, a traditional military style marching band. And nothing is so boring as watching band after band play the EXACT same style and follow the EXACT same philosophies one after another.

It does not matter what you do, as long as you do it to the best of your ability and BELIEVE in what you are doing.
“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.”

— Groucho Marx

PGOK
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by PGOK » Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:00 pm

der_grosse_küh wrote:i still think that keeping parade out is good. my personal opinion is that parades are boring and pointless, except for parades like the rose parade, and everything. but a specific event for parade bands to me seems boring and pointless. ...but thats just me. im sure others love them.
So field shows have a point, and parades don't. It seems to me that both have the exact same point, march and play music at the same time. In fact, I would argue that a competitive parade has more of a point than the Rose Parade. At a band review I will get commentary from SEVERAL music education professionals. This will allow my band to grow as a musical group. The final product for the Rose Parade or Macy's Parade is of no greater value EDUCATIONALY, than a performance for the 6th graders at Central Elementary School.
“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.”

— Groucho Marx

Sixfdsteve
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Sixfdsteve » Thu Jul 29, 2004 6:07 am

Looks like our band (El Capitan High School, a humble small town school from Lakeside :shock: DOH!) will be at the RBV show. I'm looking forward to seeing you all there. My line is looking forward to seeing some real good shows. I have a young group of drummers who have been working hard since the end of the school year and are chomping at the bit to see how they do in competition. This is the first time that ECHS has a corps style drumline (ok......not that they play as good as a drum corps, but they do have the same discipline and killer attitude that it takes to be a good line). I hope to see you all at the shows. Drop by and say hi.

Steve Elias
Percussion Caption Head
El Capitan High School
Lakeside CA

InnocentBystander
New Recruit
New Recruit

Thank You!

Post by InnocentBystander » Fri Jul 30, 2004 7:48 pm

I would like to thank dr for enlightening those of us who are not privy to some of the "history" and behind the scenes goings on. I know some of the posters to the message board say that they tire of it, or it's boring and pointless. Well, that's because they already KNOW! A lot of us see the outcome of decisions made, but don't know the motivating factors behind the decision. Now we know the REST of the story! Thanks again dr.

Ryan H. Turner
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by Ryan H. Turner » Sun Aug 01, 2004 7:00 pm

Sixfdsteve wrote:Looks like our band (El Capitan High School, a humble small town school from Lakeside :shock: DOH!) will be at the RBV show. I'm looking forward to seeing you all there. My line is looking forward to seeing some real good shows. I have a young group of drummers who have been working hard since the end of the school year and are chomping at the bit to see how they do in competition. This is the first time that ECHS has a corps style drumline (ok......not that they play as good as a drum corps, but they do have the same discipline and killer attitude that it takes to be a good line). I hope to see you all at the shows. Drop by and say hi.

Steve Elias
Percussion Caption Head
El Capitan High School
Lakeside CA
Steve...while you think you're from a "humble" school, I happen to be I guess entering the ranks of "old timer" in southern California, and I used to follow my big brother around to band competitions in the very early 70's. El Capitan not only had a really good band back then, but their uniforms happened to be EXACTLY like Pasadena High School's uniforms back then. Not sure of your school colors, but the design--exact replica. I think the other old timers would vouch for that. Just thought you'd like to know that El Capitan has been around for a long time--you guys have historical archive stuff down there?

dr
Drum Major
Drum Major

El Capitan

Post by dr » Sun Aug 01, 2004 10:24 pm

RyanTurner wrote: ...while you think you're from a "humble" school, I happen to be I guess entering the ranks of "old timer" in southern California, and I used to follow my big brother around to band competitions in the very early 70's. El Capitan not only had a really good band back then, but their uniforms happened to be EXACTLY like Pasadena High School's uniforms back then. Not sure of your school colors, but the design--exact replica. I think the other old timers would vouch for that. Just thought you'd like to know that El Capitan has been around for a long time--you guys have historical archive stuff down there?
Ryan, welcome to the club.

Indeed, El Capitan was a powerhouse back in the 60s and early 70s. I don't have a list of their numerous accomplishments, but I know that they tied Arcadia for sweepstakes at the Long Beach All Western Band Review in 1965 with a score of 95.90. Pretty impressive! I certainly hope you folks have records of your past. You have a heritage you should be proud of and IMO those traditions are essential to a group's long-term success. Best of luck in the coming season.

dudewheresmycar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dudewheresmycar » Mon Aug 02, 2004 5:23 pm

der_grosse_küh wrote:sorry DWMC. i didnt mean that comment to sound that way. what i meant the comment to basically mean was that parade marching is beyond my comprehension as entertaining and meaningful. thats not to say there is no meaning, im sure theres alot of it, and i know that alot of bands do it well. more power to them, and i wish them the best of luck. sorry for any miscommunications in that statement.
No worries dude. Sorry for jumpin the gun. It's great that we can come on here and argue our points and keep it totally civil. :D

der_grosse_küh
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by der_grosse_küh » Mon Aug 02, 2004 11:29 pm

yep. thats always a good thing. toMAYtoe, toMAto, eh? wow this topic has died. everyone flee to a new topic! this one has gotton all old, and theres crust starting to build around it.