High school kids at a drum corps show rant

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

DJ-PsiLon
Section Leader
Section Leader

High school kids at a drum corps show rant

Post by DJ-PsiLon » Thu Jul 08, 2004 3:16 am

I figure more people would read this post in this forum rather than the drum corps section.

Anywho I was at the San Diego show this past Monday and I was looking forward to a nice night of drum corps. My friend and I bought our tickets and proceeded to our seats which were behind a group of high school kids. As the first couple corps performed the kids were talking during the performance and commenting on every little thing. The football field is still a performance area just like a stage or hall. Also the fact they were commenting on errors got a bit irritating. I'm sure those kids have years and years of high school marching band experience to draw their expert opinion from. We got fed up and found better seats.

So please just shut up and enjoy the show.
Formerly known as [UCI]-Mike

TMRsaxyDM
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by TMRsaxyDM » Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:02 am

agree 100% = )
Pumkin Pie Love..

SKA SKA SKA!

Cheer up emo kid... listen to ska!

Tustin High School TMR Drum Major 04-05

BariSx_G
Veteran
Veteran

Post by BariSx_G » Thu Jul 08, 2004 5:42 pm

Amen, Mike.

altogirl06
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by altogirl06 » Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:48 pm

usually freshman do that..well, at my school during comps but then they get the hint to shut-up,lol. :)
Nothing is impossible with God!

Wildabeast
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by Wildabeast » Fri Jul 09, 2004 12:05 am

I posted this less than a month ago, but I think it was lost in the latest WoP crash.

This should be read, printed out, copied, and shared with everyone who plans to attend drum corps shows (and other pageantry shows for that matter) in the future.

If we don't get the word out, those certain people will never get it until it's too late.

http://www.dci.org/news/news.cfm?news_i ... c21881e631

MusicCoach
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by MusicCoach » Fri Jul 09, 2004 12:27 am

I do think when students or kids talk during a performance. That is very rude and disrespectful to the other school that is comepting. So I do strongly agree with everyone so far.
Moreno Valley HS
*Front Ensemble/Battery Instructor* 08-09
*Drill Designer* 08
Temescal Canyon HS
*Front Ensemble Instructor* 05-08
*Marching Instructor* 05-07
Tracy Community Drumline
*Co-Director*
*Music Arranger*
*Drill Designer*

sokkerboie
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sokkerboie » Fri Jul 09, 2004 7:36 am

I think many people across the US need to take a course on arts etiquette. Another issue - when a corps (or any performanve) is in process - Tthey are performing at that moment - DON"T ENTER OR LEAVE THE STANDS!

Thank you for helping to educate a new generation of arts entheusiats as to how to behave at the theatre, symphony, ballet, drum corps show, winter guard show, etc.
Talent is not only a blessing, it is a burden, as the gifted ones will soon find out - Vince Lombardi

malletphreak
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by malletphreak » Fri Jul 09, 2004 12:31 pm

Wildabeast wrote:I posted this less than a month ago, but I think it was lost in the latest WoP crash.

This should be read, printed out, copied, and shared with everyone who plans to attend drum corps shows (and other pageantry shows for that matter) in the future.

If we don't get the word out, those certain people will never get it until it's too late.

http://www.dci.org/news/news.cfm?news_i ... c21881e631
haha AMEN Wil and Mike.. sigh thank goodness I wasn't behind or in front of any H.S kids at PP/PW although the family in front of me was sorta annoying...
Wendy
Kingsmen Alumni Corps 2007
Kingsmen Senior Corps 2009
San Francisco Renegades - 2010, 2011
San Francisco Renegades Assistant Corps Director - 2012, 2013

MusicCoach
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by MusicCoach » Fri Jul 09, 2004 3:27 pm

I strongly agree! We need to do something about this disrespectful of kids talking during Drum Corps Performance and also during Stages Performance.

:twisted: :P 8-)
Moreno Valley HS
*Drill Designer* 08
Temescal Canyon HS
Tracy Community Drumline
*Co-Director*
*Music Arranger*
*Drill Designer*

Wildabeast
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by Wildabeast » Fri Jul 09, 2004 8:02 pm

Well, kids need to be taught how to do pageantry etiquette. They won't have any idea unless it is explained to them.

Another solution would be for show hosts to hang posters with simple rules, or even print them on page 1 of a program.

IsnipeWithAknife
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by IsnipeWithAknife » Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:25 pm

yess definately, wouldnt hurt to have simple reminders. just because you are outdoors, farther away from the group, mean you arent being annoying and disrespectful
it should be common sense to follow the same conduct when you are at the theaters watching a movie. everyone knows how to behave there(most of the time).
WHS '05, UCSB '10
WOP OT Round 1 Picture Battle Champion!
WOP OT Mafia Game II: First ever mafia champions
http://officeofstrategicinfluence.com/spam/

MusicCoach
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by MusicCoach » Sat Jul 10, 2004 1:18 am

Hey! Wildabeast

I agree with you alot. I do believe that each show who going to host a show should have something small printed in the programs about behaviors and etc. I gone to shows that I seen alot of kids being very unrespectful to the audience and performers during performance.

:D 8-) :P
Moreno Valley HS
*Drill Designer* 08
Temescal Canyon HS
Tracy Community Drumline
*Co-Director*
*Music Arranger*
*Drill Designer*

rfe

Post by rfe » Sun Jul 18, 2004 12:52 am

I can honestly say that i DISagree. I think that we do what we do to put it out there and have it be judged. I can appreciate a well done show but knowing the intricacies, i feel it right to try to see imperfection. I do not feel it rude but rather productive to our own marching. Let me clarify that i have not been to a corps show and am only speaking about highschool shows.

Most importantly however, i view this marching band stuff as somewhat of a sport. This does not hinder it from being art (i think soccer is art) but i take the same aproach to a watching a field show as to a baseball game. This is not a photography gallery.

As a sidenote, somewhat related, i don't fully understand why there is so much "politeness" in highschool marching bands. You know what im talking about: clapping for everybody, wishing everybody good luck before they go on. You don't see the same pleasantries in football, or even competive dance-something marching band is very similar to.

When you get to the bottom of it, we are competing. It is this compition that breed inprovement. So as such i feel we SHOULD be openly critical of others, and our selves of course.
G-E-T-N-A-K-E-D

formermarcher
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by formermarcher » Sun Jul 18, 2004 1:03 am

rfe wrote: As a sidenote, somewhat related, i don't fully understand why there is so much "politeness" in highschool marching bands. You know what im talking about: clapping for everybody, wishing everybody good luck before they go on. You don't see the same pleasantries in football, or even competive dance-something marching band is very similar to.

When you get to the bottom of it, we are competing. It is this compition that breed inprovement. So as such i feel we SHOULD be openly critical of others, and our selves of course.
Let me ask you this: Would you rather try to work on improving inter band relations, or would you rather have this horrible attitude towards each other. So why does this happen? Its called being nice.

I see what you are saying in terms of competition, but lets keep in mind that the real reason behind an ART FORM is to display itself to the audience. Yes, by all means go ahead and give CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM, but keep in mind there is much much more to marching band than just scoring well at a competition. Impress the audience, and have fun. Such is the way with an art form.
"It is your destiny to be the leader who uses this event to rally a city, a nation...a world"

"Its not what you do or what you say, but HOW you do it that matters the most"

UC: Riverside, Class Of 2007

Rick_James
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Rick_James » Sun Jul 18, 2004 1:23 am

I agree, if you are going out there to put a show for the judges and just to succeed, you're missing the whole point of marching band. Thats what separates the philosophy of band to that of a football team. In my opinion, band is to have fun, enjoy playing music and enjoy performing, weather its for judges or your own parents, it's all about having fun. If you want to get more serious, there's always drum corps, but as far as high school marching band goes, just enjoy being with your friends, enjoy performing, have fun!
"The lightning will knock down the tree and knock down your soul." -- Jeremy Lavine